LOLhammering

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

LOLhammering

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:37 am

Post by Aeronaut »

Something I've noticed that has been happening more frequently is players who like to come in when a player is at L-1, and hammer without intent before the player even has a chance to explain, to defend themselves, etc.

It's silly in my opinion. And it should be implied that someone who does that is autolynched the next day. However, I'm seeing more and more that people tend to say "Ah well that kind of stupidity CAN'T have come from scum, so lets keep him alive". So I feel like it's almost a way to make people town read you, when it really shouldn't be.

I'm considering making a mechanic in my next game which basically says that you have to state intent before hammering. If you try to hammer without it, your vote simply won't count. It'd be simple.

That might also be a good way to make LYLO less about whether scum can get online at the same time, and more about the game. Some people like that, though.

But do you guys think that would be to inhibitive of players to force that? Is LOLhammering just a part of the game that we should all live with? I don't know.
2023 W/L | 1-0
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:11 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 0, Aeronaut wrote:"Ah well that kind of stupidity CAN'T have come from scum, so lets keep him alive".

Anyone who says this hasn't played a lot of games. You could just cite any of the plethora of examples of scum doing this.

Though looking at the context of things is probably important.

Also, I notice people allow certain players to get away with doing this. Players who do this should just be blacklisted. Or policy lynched. Until they learn to stop being awful at mafia.
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:20 am

Post by McMenno »

In post 0, Aeronaut wrote:I'm considering making a mechanic in my next game which basically says that you have to state intent before hammering. If you try to hammer without it, your vote simply won't count. It'd be simple.

People would just go:

Intent to hammer

And then immediately after that post:

VOTE: Whoever
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:41 am

Post by Aeronaut »

I mean you have to do it before
2023 W/L | 1-0
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:03 am

Post by Andrius »

Mods trying to curb bad player behavior by adding rules isn't the solution in my opinion. Frustrating? Yes.
But its all part of the game. If no one holds them responsible, they will never be punished and this will continue etc.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:06 am

Post by ZZZX »

I know it is frustrating but I have seen most people doing it hit scum.

I don't like to so it but I see that most people are more accurate early on
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:28 am

Post by Vi »

The idea that this sort of thing is possible is why L-1 is any pressure at all, especially depending on the player list.

Quickhammering as Town doesn't make you a bad player, but consistently quickhammering
Town
as Town makes you a bad player.

But then everyone's bad at this game in some way or another. The key is to identify where you screwed up (e.g. why you quickhammered given that you hit Town) and decide whether you should change your thought process.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:52 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 0, Aeronaut wrote:I'm considering making a mechanic in my next game which basically says that you have to state intent before hammering. If you try to hammer without it, your vote simply won't count. It'd be simple.

What if you're a town PR who wants to quickhammer a scum PR who counterclaimed you while wanting to fake that it was accidental hammer?
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 am

Post by SilverWolf »

I've seen scum and town do this. The person being hammered is usually town but sometimes not.

I don't think there's a way to stop it. If someone has a consistent pattern of doing this as town and hitting town and shows no desire to change-don't play with that player.

There's not much you can add into a set-up to force this not to happen. Sometimes there is a strategic reason to do it as scum and rarely as town.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:07 am

Post by Klick »

It would be interesting to see a mechanic that stops quickhammers from happening. Something like, the day ends if someone keeps a majority of votes on them for 24 hours. It would change several aspects of the game.

Aeronaut, mind if I test this out with a normal Micro game? Or would you rather have it in your game first?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

This trend really has picked up recently. It's like the new site culture is to worship being fucking stupid and think it's
hilarious
to do dumb shit F4R TEH LULZ LMAO in a game people devote months of time into playing.
green shirt thursdays
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:38 am

Post by Aeronaut »

In post 7, GuyInFreezer wrote:

What if you're a town PR who wants to quickhammer a scum PR who counterclaimed you while wanting to fake that it was accidental hammer?

Well... I don't know

In post 9, Klick wrote:It would be interesting to see a mechanic that stops quickhammers from happening. Something like, the day ends if someone keeps a majority of votes on them for 24 hours. It would change several aspects of the game.

Aeronaut, mind if I test this out with a normal Micro game? Or would you rather have it in your game first?

Go for it!

In post 10, xRECKONERx wrote:This trend really has picked up recently. It's like the new site culture is to worship being fucking stupid and think it's
hilarious
to do dumb shit F4R TEH LULZ LMAO in a game people devote months of time into playing.

Preach
2023 W/L | 1-0
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:35 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

lolhammering on D1 is awesome

past that it's obnoxious as fuck
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 10, xRECKONERx wrote:This trend really has picked up recently. It's like the new site culture is to worship being fucking stupid and think it's
hilarious

Exactly, it's fucking frustrating, especially when you aren't ready to end the day yet, and someone thinks it's funny or a thing to do for the lulz-it's shit play, period.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Post by Vampirate »

It'd be funny if someone made 2 types of roles, one being the role to have the day phase last 4 days or the person dies. The other being the role that must have the lynch last till the last day or he dies.

It would be funny to see play out maybe.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:27 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Who needs to try to get more info out of the game? What is that ever good for? LOLQUICKHAMMER!
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:04 am

Post by Magua »

In post 9, Klick wrote:It would be interesting to see a mechanic that stops quickhammers from happening. Something like, the day ends if someone keeps a majority of votes on them for 24 hours. It would change several aspects of the game.

This has come up before; I know GreyICE had a 24-hour grace period after a hammer for people to unvote in one of his Mini Themes, though the intention was to keep the scum from quickhammering in lylo if I recall correctly.

My take is that against scum quickhammering, it just slows down the game without changing anything.

For town quickhammering, if someone is impulsive and doing things for the lulz, no amount of rules are going to be able to change that.
choof
choof
Mafia Scum
choof
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:20 am

Post by choof »

hilarious

mafia seems to be on the rise (i've played mafia on like 4 different sites now, including mafiascum), but the particular flavor of mafia that i've seen doesn't mesh at all with the mafiascum culture

lolhammers are great

just not on mafiascum
ignore all posts pre '21

this is not a glitch
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 am

Post by saulres »

In post 3, Aeronaut wrote:I mean you have to do it before

Intent to hammer Aeronaut.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 am

Post by saulres »

VOTE: Aeronaut
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by T S O »

oh my god saulres we've been through this before
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 16, Magua wrote:

This has come up before; I know GreyICE had a 24-hour grace period after a hammer for people to unvote in one of his Mini Themes, though the intention was to keep the scum from quickhammering in lylo if I recall correctly.

I wanted to see how players would use it. In practice it worked miserably.

It turns out the nice thing about hammers is that the debate ends. With a 24 hour grace period someone on the wagon ALWAYS gets cold feet for the first few days, so it just stretches to deadline.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Post by Muffin »

hilarious

I've noticed this hand-in-hand with a "cases are scummy" attitude that discourages lucid thought processes in favour of giving towncred to people who just post shit like "#202 is p town" or "[playername] is scum, VOTE: playername".

Sadly I haven't rolled scum recently, because I feel like I could get away with murder (literally) under this meta.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 21, GreyICE wrote:
In post 16, Magua wrote:

I wanted to see how players would use it. In practice it worked miserably.

It turns out the nice thing about hammers is that the debate ends. With a 24 hour grace period someone on the wagon ALWAYS gets cold feet for the first few days, so it just stretches to deadline.

maybe it's better to have just around an hour?
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Post by GreyICE »

That would just encourage people to stalk the thread and spam more.

I like the decisiveness of a hammer. It happened. The game moves on. Too many games hit deadline anyway. If people idiot cast the hammer vote, that's on them.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones

Return to “Mafia Discussion”