New Normal Guidelines - April 2017 update!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:16 am

Post by chilledtea »

Miller can claim on day 1 and clear themselves. Godfathers will obviously not.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:17 am

Post by Davsto »

Millers will claim either before or after insepction as they are town - it's quite a different ballpark to "yep innocent result they're town"
There's a difference between being unable to trust innocents and being unable to trust guilties

Those are the main two points I can think of
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:18 am

Post by pisskop »

They mentioned that they wanted people to play differently if a godfather was present, but instead too often dont and they lose because of a godfather.

Thats never happened in games Im in, but I would imagine that besides being less popular the miller isnt 'an autoloss' situation. Millers should claim at onset, so most millers dont get a chance to suprise guilty. And even then the mislynch isnt quite the same as failing to lynch and otherwise scummy player.

As stated above, Ive always seen a lot of people speccing about a godfather, even if one doesnt exist, so Im not sure where they are seeing godfather skating by.
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:24 am

Post by Sméagol »

Well, regarding the redlisting options Callforjudgement posted, I'd be in favour of option 2, adding a disclaimer.
With themes you have an optional disclaimer of calling ylour game "bastard", I think you could have a "normal-extended" disclaimer, which would allow for a few extra roles and modifiers, like godfather.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
: none
/
running
: none
/
coming up
: large normal (18p) / micro theme (9)
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:08 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The reason Millers are allowed is that a townie knows that the role is in the game already. Of course, the other townies might not believe them, but there's no incorrect information going round; the townie gets a Miller role, the townie claims (99% of the time), the cop doesn't investigate them (again 99% of the time).

If scum get a Godfather role, they obviously won't claim it, thus there's no clue known to any Town player that the investigation isn't reliable other than dayplay, and Townies rarely trust dayplay reads over Cop results. (I'm vaguely reminded of the Fairy Godfather gambit at this point.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:06 pm

Post by BNL »

Millers don't have the problem that Godfathers have. In the worst case scenario, a Cop investigating a Miller will result in a mislynch on the miller and the Cop getting NKed. This is nothing compared to a Cop investigating a Godfather, which is almost autoloss for town, especially if the Cop claims his results.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:14 am

Post by Ircher »

Well, then why is Ninja whitelisted? Plus, I like Ninja.
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:17 am

Post by Davsto »

Because someone seen as not targeting anyone on the night that someone dies isn't an instant "yes they're town".
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:27 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 305, BNL wrote:Millers don't have the problem that Godfathers have. In the worst case scenario, a Cop investigating a Miller will result in a mislynch on the miller and the Cop getting NKed. This is nothing compared to a Cop investigating a Godfather, which is almost autoloss for town, especially if the Cop claims his results.

I didn't like the decision to remove GF but put this way it makes sense
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:31 am

Post by vonflare »

Maybe if any cop-messing roles are included the cop (and only the cop) is aware that they exist?

For example,

You are a COP.
you know that there is a lawyer in this setup.

or something like that

URGENT EDIT: APPARENTLY RADIANTCOWBELLS HAD THIS IDEA TOO! I WOULD NOT WANT TO TAKE CREDIT FOR SOMEONE ELSE'S IDEA SO I JUST HAD TO LET YOU KNOW!
Last edited by vonflare on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:35 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

That's what I suggested, for the record.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Expedience
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Post by Expedience »

Millers are just terrible.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:09 am

Post by N »

This has actually been sitting in my to-do list since the middle of last month, but I didn't want to have two updates in the same month because that way madness lies.
In post 0, N wrote:
Update 7 May 2016
  • Althought it has always been unofficially part of the guidelines, "Mafia must specify which member is performing the factional kill each night. Mods may choose whether or not to allow Mafia power roles to perform their action as well as their factional kill on the same night or not, and should list this choice in their rules" has now been added to the wiki page.
  • Balance is now explicitly part of being Normal, and so "normalcy-only reviews" will no longer be offered. This does not affect any games which have already passed review.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:13 am

Post by Davsto »

Curious

Since Godfather is removed

Should a Mafia Doctor in a setup with a Gunsmith and no non-Mafia killing roles be blacklisted too? It serves virtually the same purpose.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:14 am

The whole point of Gunsmith is that it has potential false positives and false negatives, in a way that can be predicted / isn't bastard. So I guess it'd make more sense to blacklist Gunsmith if you're worried about that.
Really, Gunsmith is basically a Normalized version of an imperfectly-sane cop who knows that there are ways they can be mislead.
scum
town
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:17 am

Post by chilledtea »

If there is mafia doc, then there should be a killing force capable of killing mafia. In that case, town can take enough precautions wrt gunsmith's results.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:30 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

please omit the grey roles.

Your not letting people use them anyway becuase their not normal so whats the usage of them being there? add commuter and some common gray roles to green list though. this way the setups are extremely more solidified.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:38 am

Plenty of games have greylist roles in. The main idea is to be able to try out new roles that aren't clearly inappropriate for Normals to see if they should be whitelisted in the future.
scum
town
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:54 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 312, N wrote:This has actually been sitting in my to-do list since the middle of last month, but I didn't want to have two updates in the same month because that way madness lies.
In post 0, N wrote:
Update 7 May 2016
  • Althought it has always been unofficially part of the guidelines, "Mafia must specify which member is performing the factional kill each night. Mods may choose whether or not to allow Mafia power roles to perform their action as well as their factional kill on the same night or not, and should list this choice in their rules" has now been added to the wiki page.
  • Balance is now explicitly part of being Normal, and so "normalcy-only reviews" will no longer be offered. This does not affect any games which have already passed review.
Dang.

I had a plan to run a large normal after my mini finishes but not check it for balance. Oh well, maybe it will still pass a balance review.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:55 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 314, callforjudgement wrote:The whole point of Gunsmith is that it has potential false positives and false negatives, in a way that can be predicted / isn't bastard. So I guess it'd make more sense to blacklist Gunsmith if you're worried about that.
Really, Gunsmith is basically a Normalized version of an imperfectly-sane cop who knows that there are ways they can be mislead.
But... isn't a Cop exactly the same? Everyone knows that Millers and Godfathers exist. It always has had some potential false positives and negatives. I don't see how it functions any differently besides the false positives and negatives falling on different roles.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:56 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 315, chilledtea wrote:If there is mafia doc, then there should be a killing force capable of killing mafia. In that case, town can take enough precautions wrt gunsmith's results.
Did you miss the part where I said
In post 313, Davsto wrote:a Mafia Doctor in a setup with a Gunsmith
and no non-Mafia killing roles
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 2:57 am

Post by Ircher »

Really, I dont think Mafia Docs + Gunsmith should be allowed if Cop + Godfather isnt allowed.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 3:13 am

Post by Davsto »

It should be allowed when the Mafia Doc has a function, such as protecting from a vigilante/sk. This generally provides a superbig hint that it does exist in the setup, particularly if a kill fails to go through and there is no reason given by town players.

I'm not saying any good setup maker would use a Mafia Doc when there is no vigilante but there is a gunsmith.

I'm merely pointing out a potential loophole that should be closed, and not in an unofficial "oh the NRG will stop that" kind of way, I mean an actual definitive rule.
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 4:24 am

Post by chilledtea »

Yeah it's the same thing if there is no killing force other than mafia unless it is multiball mafia.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2016 6:50 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

A cop checks a player's alignment, a gunsmith checks if a player has a gun.
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”