New Normal Guidelines - April 2017 update!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:03 am

Post by Wake1 »

Now I'm feeling really enthusiastic, and would like to incorporate more roles in a Large Normal, including some of these.
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 am

Post by vonflare »

Add a rule where vanilla townies can dayvig people who penta-post.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:49 am

Post by Psyche »

add a rule where passive aggression is punishable by the ms contributor username color
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

heh
To be clear: quack
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Post by N »

In post 17, wgeurts wrote:Did you update the categories when you changed stuff or do I need to go do that?

I think I did, but it can't hurt for you to doublecheck.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 21, Wake1 wrote:I like this.

We need more standardized roles added to the list of explicitly Normal roles.

What I'd like to see is a new modifier of sorts added. "Loud." When a player with the Loud modifier targets a player at Night, the target will become informed that something targeted him or her successfully, but won't be told anything else.

Also, does the Friendly Neighbor grant a confirmed status? It says it's stronger than IC.

Would also like to see the 'Hated' and 'Loved' abilities standardized and used in Normal games. Something new for Scum to use besides role cop/roleblock, etc.

The "Loud" or "noisy" modifier isn't a bad idea, actually, and I really like it from a design standpoint. It opens up some interesting design space. However, I don't think it has been used quite enough to say it should be "normal". I don't think I've ever seen it. Perhaps if it starts showing up in more games?

Friendly Neighbor confirms via mod to another player in the game. It's stronger than IC because scum know who IC is, as does town, whereas in this situation, if you hit a town target with it, scum are none the wiser.

I'm not sure what 'hated' and 'loved' abilities are.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 24, Wake1 wrote:Could we please have a modifier that allows the player to only use an ability during X-Day?

Call it an 'Day-X' ability. Like, say, a player who can only use a doc ability during Day 4: a
Day-4 Doctor

I believe this came up before and got shot down but I can't find the discussion anywhere backstage.

My personal opinion on this is that if you have to balance a role by only allowing it to be used on a certain day, you're probably not balancing the game correctly. But I don't recall what other NRG members felt.
green shirt thursdays
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Post by Wake1 »

Would the 'Loud' modifier be allowed in the one unique slot in Normal Minis?

FN seems a wee bit overpowered. ot sure I'd want to use that without ample balance.

'Hated' and 'Loved' status deal with votes. A 'Hated' player requires one less vote to be lynched, whereas a 'Loved' player requires one more.

A Mafia power role that could inflice 'Hated' status to a player would be neat. Equally so if a Town role had that ability.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Post by Wake1 »

'Best Friends' should become part of Normalized play, since they're significantly weaker than Masons, Friendly Neighbor, and Innocent Child.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Hated and loved as literally no place in normals.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Best Friends aren't going to be used, I'm afraid. The power in masons comes from the confirmed town status. That ability is so powerful, that the communication part of it is incidental. They're not "significantly" weaker, they're incidentally weaker but not by much.

'hated' and 'loved' fuck with votes and that's something we don't really want in normals atm (hence doublevoter being gone)

FN is basically a one-shot cop investigation, reversed. I think it's more balanced than one shot cop, really, because it can never get a guilty result, and will only ever give a town result.
green shirt thursdays
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 35, xRECKONERx wrote:Best Friends aren't going to be used, I'm afraid. The power in masons comes from the confirmed town status. That ability is so powerful, that the communication part of it is incidental. They're not "significantly" weaker, they're incidentally weaker but not by much.

'hated' and 'loved' fuck with votes and that's something we don't really want in normals atm (hence doublevoter being gone)

FN is basically a one-shot cop investigation, reversed. I think it's more balanced than one shot cop, really, because it can never get a guilty result, and will only ever give a town result.

Yet with Best Friends, the point is for them not to be powerful, but to have that subtle element added into the game that makes it all the more enjoyable.

I can see the reasoning with the Loved/Hated stuff.

Really liking FN now that I've read it through again. Will likely attempt this in a Large Normal.
— House*
— Nosferatu*
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 27, Psyche wrote:add a rule where passive aggression is punishable by the ms contributor username color

He advocated murdering someone in broad daylight. That's not passive aggressive. Just aggressive.

And I approve of dayvigging for no reason.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Whatisswag
Whatisswag
Goon
Whatisswag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:30 am

Post by Whatisswag »

In post 31, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 24, Wake1 wrote:Could we please have a modifier that allows the player to only use an ability during X-Day?

Call it an 'Day-X' ability. Like, say, a player who can only use a doc ability during Day 4: a
Day-4 Doctor

I believe this came up before and got shot down but I can't find the discussion anywhere backstage.

My personal opinion on this is that if you have to balance a role by only allowing it to be used on a certain day, you're probably not balancing the game correctly. But I don't recall what other NRG members felt.

Why you want to use doc during the day?

Anyway: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... n_of_Power
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:11 am

Post by Faraday »

are anime avatars still limited btw (plz)
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:27 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Why has different kill flavor for different factions been banned? I haven't modded a normal in years, but it's something I like. I'm curious here.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:16 am

Post by ika »

In post 40, StrangerCoug wrote:Why has different kill flavor for different factions been banned? I haven't modded a normal in years, but it's something I like. I'm curious here.

I second that truthfully, can we motion it to be an optional choice at least in normals?
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

I mean, the last time I modded a normal was in 2009, where standards were
MUCH
looser. I just can't see myself making a big deal if I already limit my modding to unaffected queues.

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Mostly because we didn't want SOME games having kill flavor and SOME games not having kill flavor. We don't think the source of various different kills should be given away in the flavor.

Also, Wake, I'd be careful in this thread with how much you're saying "going to try this in a LN" or whatever.
green shirt thursdays
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:09 pm

Post by N »

In post 40, StrangerCoug wrote:Why has different kill flavor for different factions been banned? I haven't modded a normal in years, but it's something I like. I'm curious here.

There are various reasons for this. As well as what Reck said, knowing exactly how a player dies really changes the game. For example, it shouldn't be obvious that a Weak role died during the night from targeting an anti-town role. My main reason for this rule is that I don't want a serial killer's kill to be obviously different than other kills - the main reason serial killers are still allowed (a Normal game should be informed minority vs uniformed majority, and where does a Serial Killer fit into this?) is so that a vigilante is not unintentional confirmed town; if a serial killer's victim is flipped as "stabbed", this sort of defeats the purpose. Also, if every night there have been two deaths and then suddenly there is only one, it shouldn't be immediately obvious which killing role didn't successfully kill (or if both killing roles killed the same person) - this may be fine in themes, but I feel it is out of place in Normals.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:49 am

Post by Wake1 »

In post 43, xRECKONERx wrote:
Also, Wake, I'd be careful in this thread with how much you're saying "going to try this in a LN" or whatever.

That is good advice. Thank you. :]
— House*
— Nosferatu*
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:17 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 44, N wrote:

There are various reasons for this. As well as what Reck said, knowing exactly how a player dies really changes the game. For example, it shouldn't be obvious that a Weak role died during the night from targeting an anti-town role. My main reason for this rule is that I don't want a serial killer's kill to be obviously different than other kills - the main reason serial killers are still allowed (a Normal game should be informed minority vs uniformed majority, and where does a Serial Killer fit into this?) is so that a vigilante is not unintentional confirmed town; if a serial killer's victim is flipped as "stabbed", this sort of defeats the purpose. Also, if every night there have been two deaths and then suddenly there is only one, it shouldn't be immediately obvious which killing role didn't successfully kill (or if both killing roles killed the same person) - this may be fine in themes, but I feel it is out of place in Normals.

OK. As I said, I was curious as, while a change I don't personally like, it is not likely to affect any games I mod in the future. If mod-confirmed town doesn't belong in a normal, then mod-confirmed town doesn't belong in a normal. It's not something I'm going to fight tooth and nail like I did the mod being allowed to generate his/her own Newbie setup (within the parameters).

N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:50 am

Post by N »

That's... not what I said.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:47 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

In post 4, Otolia wrote:I'm still interested in how to give back results from an action towards a Commuter. Do you say : your target was nowhere to be found ?

Same thing as being roleblocked. Your action fails.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 26, vonflare wrote:Add a rule where vanilla townies can dayvig people who penta-post.

I'd be dayvigged in every game. :(

Penta post for the 5 lettered woman.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”