Confusion, disorder, can they have a pro town effect?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Confusion, disorder, can they have a pro town effect?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:39 am

Post by Vampirate »

Is it possible that a town player that creates confusion and disorder in the game on purpose to be positively contributing to his/her town win condition?
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:45 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

yes

but not by doing that
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 am

Post by mastin2 »

Possible, yes.
Recommended,
hell
no. You're 90% likely to screw this up, so don't even try.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:30 pm

Post by Espeonage »

thread noted for posting later.
Don't @ me.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:26 am

Post by VysePresident »

Deliberately causing confusion and chaos tends to be deliberately counterproductive.

However, having a player who tears through the early game can be useful, particularly with my style, where I like to hang back in the early game and pick up the pieces that get left behind.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:34 am

Post by T S O »

nope
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Post by Espeonage »

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60585

I would call my application of stupid shit in this game (Day 4) confusion inducing. The difference here is that I had an IC claim to fall back on which means that if everything went nuts there was a get out option that would reset everything. However it all went well, we caught a scum out of nowhere and while we didn't win we did get rid of all the scum players which was awesome.

This is a very rare case, it required the use of an IC claim to perform very balls deep reaction test. I would not advocate trying to do something like this unless there is a foolproof way of bailing out.
Don't @ me.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:49 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

What esp said.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:36 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Isn't this the strategy most frequently adopted in Assassins in the Palace? That said, that game has an informed majority (which are its "town"), and thus isn't Mafia.

Or a better way to look at it is, I guess: the town have less information than the Mafia, so it's hard to see how making information harder to obtain is a pro-Town thing to do. The only situation I can think of is when the town badly need to protect a power role, more so than they need to catch scum, and people don't normally make setups like that.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:38 am

Post by T S O »

Okay, yeah, Assassins in the Palace is the exception to the rule.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:50 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

"reaction tests" are dumb

everyone who does them has one or two games they can point to and say they're worthwhile when in reality (a) most of the time they probably learn nothing or misinterpret what they apparently learn, and (b) you could probably learn the same thing from reading the game and using your head

if someone makes their alignment obvious via a "reaction test", barring fringe cases where someone
actually
claims scum, they've probably made their alignment obvious with the rest of their posts anyway
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 6, Espeonage wrote:I would not advocate trying to do something like this unless there is a foolproof way of bailing out.
Caution:
What you think is a foolproof way of bailing out is not necessarily actually foolproof. IC's basically the only one.

Yes, I speak from a bundleload of experience. As someone who loves abusing claims for all their worth by softclaiming conftown, "all will be made clear soon!", and the like, and being met with a bunch of :neutral: and :? and even :evil: plus BUNDLELOADS of :facepalm: reactions to my claims and then the reality after it's revealed.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:35 pm

Post by Espeonage »

^ p much
Don't @ me.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:05 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Friendly Neighbour is also basically foolproof, if you've used it on a couple of people who are both still alive. (In the case that you only aimed it at one person, I can imagine roleblocker shenanignans messing you up.)

That said, the "do a bunch of stupid things as Innocent Child and then claim to save yourself" strategy does seem to be quite commonly used, and it perhaps isn't the worst of ideas. (Note: do
not
do a bunch of stupid things as VT in the hope that scum will assume you're an Innocent Child. I can't imagine that would end well at all.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat May 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Post by kuribo »

Most fun I ever had as town was a game where I was a tree stump. I spent the entire game before my death doing nothing but claiming increasingly unlikely roles and begging for death

When scum killed me and I returned as invincible confirmed town, it was even better
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun May 10, 2015 7:09 am

Post by ZZZX »

I remember a setup which scum need to pick up info from town where optimal play was to even randomly lynch day1 if we have to so we dont give info. But people didn't listen. Literally made the thread so confusingly unreadable. Quoted every post that tow. Can get Info fro. And won it. But generally confusion is only good if the town are reaaaly active
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733

Return to “Mafia Discussion”