A catch all for silly questions.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

Good lord, I just checked, I have 999 posts outside of the games sections of the forum including this one!
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

that value is also different for different people that can't access private topics, so nobody (except the site admins) can actually see the same figure for total posts as you.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:14 pm

5,447 = 1,000

Thanks!

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:43 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

So you can use an alt to see how many public in-game posts you have.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:25 am

Post by Plotinus »

private topics don't count as in game posts. that would be a Problematic. they only count towards the total post number that only you can see.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

In post 153, Gamma Emerald wrote:So you can use an alt to see how many public in-game posts you have.
But not a Hydra?

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 155, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 153, Gamma Emerald wrote:So you can use an alt to see how many public in-game posts you have.
But not a Hydra?
that too
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:45 am

Post by Umlaut »

What are the rules regarding experience requirements (particularly mod experience requirements) and alts? I'm considering using this account over my original (Ümläüt) from now on, but don't want to lose my accumulated experience.

EDIT: Related question: be honest, how much of a pain in the ass is my primary account name for everyone else?
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:37 am

Post by Aeronaut »

please do use this account, you don't understand the copy and pasting I had to do
2023 W/L | 1-0
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:32 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

It's managable as long as my system ketboard has easy access to special characters
<Embrace The Void>

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:59 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 157, Umlaut wrote:What are the rules regarding experience requirements (particularly mod experience requirements) and alts? I'm considering using this account over my original (Ümläüt) from now on, but don't want to lose my accumulated experience.

EDIT: Related question: be honest, how much of a pain in the ass is my primary account name for everyone else?
As a player: alts start fresh with experience for the purposes of the Newbie queue, but also can't play as a newbie (this makes playing in newbie games on a fresh alt fairly difficult, the only way is to replace into newbe slots). When playing in other queues, any experience requirements are set by the game moderator, who can enforce whatever rules about alts they like. The most common rule I see is to require players to privately disclose their main to the moderator. In your case, disclosing your main is unlikely to be an issue.

As a moderator, in the past, list mods have generally been fine with granting the game moderation powers (the things that let you create the game thread, create PTs, edit posts, etc.) to an alt (especially in the case of a mod hydra; IIRC mod hydras became popular before player hydras did, as it makes moderating a game that needs a large moderation team much easier). I can't remember offhand whether you /in to mod with the alt, or whether you /in to mod with the main but ask the list mods to give the mod powers to the alt. That's a detail that's fairly easy to adjust for, anyway (and I doubt there'd be much interest in enforcing a specific process).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:30 am

Post by Umlaut »

Thanks, that's helpful.

Another mod question: if I need to verify the primary identity of an alt, must I contact a site mod, or will the list mod be able to do this?
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Two questions:

If I am in a hydra with someone, can I link material to them that is from an uncompleted game?

Secondly, I am debating making a thread dedicated to the idea that keeping the same core meta as a player is +EV from a psychological interpretation. I have been really into psychology lately and I feel I need to put this knowledge to good use. My question is that if I did this, would anyone even take me seriously?

Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

In post 162, LicketyQuickety wrote:Two questions:

If I am in a hydra with someone, can I link material to them that is from an uncompleted game?
no. 99% of the time this will never be okay. if you both happened to be a hydra in the other game and had lax communication policies (phone, third party program chats), it should be fine. if you just happen to have talking powers together in game 2, it's probably a gray area (can discussion be outside of a PT? or not), but influencing your scum mates/involving the mod in things they should have nothing to do with is also a no go.
In post 162, LicketyQuickety wrote:Secondly, I am debating making a thread dedicated to the idea that keeping the same core meta as a player is +EV from a psychological interpretation. I have been really into psychology lately and I feel I need to put this knowledge to good use. My question is that if I did this, would anyone even take me seriously?
this + your theme test post basically have the same answer that not enough people seem to know

if you do something well, people will probably enjoy it. ask yourself these kinds of questions and see if
you
take it seriously.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 pm

In post 163, Lycanfire wrote:
In post 162, LicketyQuickety wrote:Secondly, I am debating making a thread dedicated to the idea that keeping the same core meta as a player is +EV from a psychological interpretation. I have been really into psychology lately and I feel I need to put this knowledge to good use. My question is that if I did this, would anyone even take me seriously?
this + your theme test post basically have the same answer that not enough people seem to know

if you do something well, people will probably enjoy it. ask yourself these kinds of questions and see if
you
take it seriously.
I don't share your optimistic/idealistic view. I think there are inherent biases people have towards me and I am trying to gauge that.

Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

same meta in a town vs scum sense or same meta in personal approach to the game in general sense (well, i guess they are related)
deranged and incoherent
?
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:09 pm

All of thee above.

Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

Keeping the same approach seems EV positive given iirc you were getting good reads out of it, and I'd think working further on honing an approach you're familiar with and has some success is more productive than just starting anew for the sake of self preservation. I don't know WRT to town vs scum but unless people are actually nailing you on meta (rather than just lynching for style in general) then doesn't seem worth it to invest the effort.
Sacrificing ability to play for the sake of getting less friction might work but I'd imagine wouldn't be as fun as you doing you, so it seems as though sticking to your genuine style and maybe hoping to navigate tvts better is an easier direction than changing things up entirely

that's just my impression though, hopefully you can get some veteran/MVP class players to weigh in as well
deranged and incoherent
?
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Post by popsofctown »

One thing where meta matters a lot is intermittent versus consistent lurkers. A player who usually contributes a lot but doesn't contribute much in a game with a known meta can often get given at least until day 2 to make something happen, players will be more willing to interpret it that they just haven't managed to latch onto anything yet. If you happened to roll a scum PR and received this free pass, that could be powerful. Or if you even roll VT and just have a hard time developing a read day 1, that has some power, if you have a better time D2.
OTOH, a player who is known for chronic lurking is a stronger cantidate for policy lynch and doesn't even get the base expectation that there might be content to judge them by on day 2. I don't know how many chronic lurkers care enough about their win % to decide whether to make an alt to address this. It'd be hard to measure, right?

I think this dynamic is probably going to matter more than people developing reads by contrasting your meta with your current playstyle. I don't think that's very strong.

I think NKA is the component where using an established meta is at its most powerful. This is usually very mitigated by the scum being a cluster of 3 metas, making it harder to vote someone based on whether Raskolnikov always kills the player who tried to lynch him day 2 or never kills the player who tried to kill him day 2 or is usually highly willing to spend time PR hunting in themes. I think it's a lot stronger for SKs the last time I got caught as SK it was due to someone who knew my meta, so.... gotta love mafia meta with all the huge sample sizes you get like "3", "2", or in this case, "1".
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:56 pm

I feel like I do not fit anywhere. It is a very weird place to be. I don't fit in with the old timers and I don't fit in with the new blood. What do I do?

Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

find better cliques
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:32 pm

In post 170, Lycanfire wrote:find better cliques
Such as?

Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Post by Mathdino »

yeah you kinda joined after MS joinrates started tanking

yet before MU really came on the scene (and a lot of MU people tried out MS)

i hear little to nothing about the 2015 "era"

i'm obviously biased but i think 2012 was the end of the "old guard"

2013/14 was the group that really shook up mechanics, playstyles, thread lengths (dear god the thread lengths), saw the transition of QTs to PTs, but it was also when that one thread was made about how MS (and the internet forum in general) is dying

then 2016/17 is the young whippersnappers or some such, with 2017 being a long aftershock of The Alisae Effect
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:49 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 172, Mathdino wrote:2017 being a long aftershock of The Alisae Effect
OH NO
MY LITERALLY UNLIMITED +REPUTATION IS FADING AWAY
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO