A catch all for silly questions.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:24 am

Post by Plotinus »

well, you play a game or two here and a game or two in the other place and it doesn’t really affect things either way. over time you will get an idea of how many games you can pay attention to at once. my personal limit is 3, so if i were in a game on another site then i wouldn’t want to join more than 2 here. some people seem to be able to handle lots and lots of games at once but others like to do it one at a time.

the game can be pretty different on different sites. some of the roles might be different, or there may be different mechanics considered normal. for example the other place i play at doesn’t have a hammer mechanic; days are fixed length and lynches are plurality lynches (coinflip for ties)
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:35 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

There certainly are a ton of sites that play mafia. It is a great game. I mean I'm like pretty much a dime a dozen here... not to say I am anything special anywhere else....

I come from a site with crazy swingy games where lynch is decided over a 48 hour period. The first day is usually 72 hours and nights are pretty much always 24 hours. Depending on the game, there can be one lynch or several. The most I've see possible is three with a tie. There is often at least the possibility of one 3p, but I've been in a game with 4. Game that are obvious bastard games here are the norm there. Just before I started playing there was a game that had over 9000 posts in it. Errr, excuse the pun.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:22 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

That was my main difficulty when I came here, I came from a site with 42 hour days and lots of role madness games so it was difficult to adjust to, and I got kind of a bad reputation because of it. But I think I am turning it around.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:22 pm

I do like this site and am considering calling it home if I'm accepted here... Not to say that I have poor self esteem, just that If people don't want me around there are other places. But yes, I would very much like to stay here. I am currently trying to adapt, and I find its easier than I originally thought it would be (if zoraster caught me saying that they would probably laugh [I hope {*gulp*}]). One thing I like about this site is that its almost always best to think things through for more analytical play rather than reactionary. It is a big change tho...

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Is it just me or did the forum just go through a gigantic color scheme shift?

Cthulhu Dreaming
Cthulhu Dreaming
Goon
Cthulhu Dreaming
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Post by Cthulhu Dreaming »

In post 52, MonkeyMan576 wrote:That was my main difficulty when I came here, I came from a site with 42 hour days and lots of role madness games so it was difficult to adjust to, and I got kind of a bad reputation because of it. But I think I am turning it around.

Hey, monkey, I've read a couple of your games and understand you got off to a rough start. For whatever it's worth, I would have no problem playing a game with you.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:45 pm

Post by tn5421 »

In post 54, LicketyQuickety wrote:Is it just me or did the forum just go through a gigantic color scheme shift?

It's not just you but it wasn't a big shift either.
WIP
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:55 pm

In post 56, tn5421 wrote:
In post 54, LicketyQuickety wrote:Is it just me or did the forum just go through a gigantic color scheme shift?

It's not just you but it wasn't a big shift either.

Right...

Well I'm glad its not just me.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:17 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 49, LicketyQuickety wrote:LOL I can see that... I can also see that people are gathering...

gathering maybe, but it's more like the gathering of the juggalos

Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Ah, a documentary on Juggalos, refreshing.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Question: Lets say you have one less experienced player that is basically confirmed scum and you have one player who is much more experience who is all but confirmed scum. Who do you lynch first? I ask because I've seen this come up in a game and am wondering what the "right" play would be in that case. Maybe I should explain. Lets say the two of them are pretty guilty by association and they are both covering for each other. Obviously you need to use the time efficiently and scum hunt for the other players who could be scum assuming that there are three scum in the game. So who do you end up lynching that day?

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Post by Plotinus »

it wouldn’t come down to experience for me. it would come down to which one was my stronger scumread. if the one i was scumreading on their own merits and the other only by association with the first, then we go with the one who is scummy on their own.

if they’re both equally confscum like both of them have a cop guilty on them or something then it literally doesn’t matter what order we go in, hopefully there’s a vig so we can lynch one vig the other and move on.

the less experienced player is more likely to have made it obvious who his buddy was though, so his flip may be a little more valuable I guess.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:03 pm

In post 61, Plotinus wrote:it wouldn’t come down to experience for me. it would come down to which one was my stronger scumread. if the one i was scumreading on their own merits and the other only by association with the first, then we go with the one who is scummy on their own.

if they’re both equally confscum like both of them have a cop guilty on them or something then it literally doesn’t matter what order we go in, hopefully there’s a vig so we can lynch one vig the other and move on.

the less experienced player is more likely to have made it obvious who his buddy was though, so his flip may be a little more valuable I guess.

Say there is no vig. The experienced player can play a part in NK and other things in scum chat. That's why I say IDK what to do here if the less experienced is confirmed scum and the experience is all but confirmed.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Post by Plotinus »

idk. it depends on so many things. a lot of the time the nk is pretty straightforward anyway.

it would probably depend on “which lynch has more support from the town” than anything.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 pm

In post 63, Plotinus wrote:idk. it depends on so many things. a lot of the time the nk is pretty straightforward anyway.

it would probably depend on “which lynch has more support from the town” than anything.

So what you your saying is its impossible to tell because not enough variables are involved?

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:02 pm

In post 64, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 63, Plotinus wrote:idk. it depends on so many things. a lot of the time the nk is pretty straightforward anyway.

So what you your saying is its impossible to tell because not enough variables are involved?

What I mean is what lynch do you push as a player. Say the newb is the one who is "caught" through logic that they are scum and the Vet is guilty through association. I guess I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that experience plays no part in who to lynch. I mean, it doesn't make much sense to me that I've seen in almost all the games I have played that the experienced players on average live longer than newbs who are both in the same game. I would think it would make sense, at least for Mafia to NK the more experienced players first. What makes me even bring this up is the fact that I have seen this situation come up in a game AND knowing what the correct play is for Cop, which is to investigate the most experienced/influential/best player rather than trying to scum hunt as a cop by confirming a guilty.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I would push the newbie then, since the vet is guilty by association but the newbie is caught by logic. If the situation were reversed; if it was the vet caught by logic and the newbie by assocation, i’d push the vet first and then i’d look long and hard at whether the vet was trying to tie themselves to the newbie to make it look like they were the partner when they really weren’t.

but always push the person you think is scum and wait to see if you were right about that person before going after the people you think are associated with them because it could be a red herring; think about a game in which you were town but everyone thought you were scum and some people started talking about who your buddy was before you were lynched. they were wasting their time, right? should they have gone after your alleged buddy first? they were still going to lynch you eventually so that would have been 2 mislynches instead of 1.

experienced players do tend to get nightkilled more often than newbies, but it depends on how right they’re being about their reads or whether the mafia is PR hunting or who is looking really obvtown; a newbie that is looking really obviously like someone who has never seen a scum role pm in their life could get nightkilled over someone who is experienced but is somewhat suspected by half the town.

for a cop there are two schools of thought: investigate your biggest scum read (this is good if you’ve been towning it up a bit too much and you’re worried about getting nightkilled. you might not have many chances so you should try to hit scum as soon as you can), or if you’re a better player who is good at reading other people, you should investigate your null reads, the people you aren’t sure of, because you’re confident that the people you think are town are really town and you’re confident that the people you think are scum are really scum, so you use the ability to help you with the middle you’re not sure of.

i think on day 1 people are a bit reluctant to lynch people that they know and love so there can be some anti newbie bias there which is unfair. some more experienced players are harder to sort out on day 1 for legitimate reasons though; their scumgame and towngame might be pretty similar and people need more time to sort them out. but that’s also true of some lesser experienced players; i’ve seen you around and while i haven’t played with you i think you’re one of the players that’s pretty hard to sort because you do look pretty scummy as either alignment BUT you’ll probably start seeing that as people get to know you better they’re going to know that about you and you’ll stop getting lynched so much on day 1 because town doesn’t want to mislynch town, town needs to figure out who is mislynch bait and who is scum. you’ll probably get better at looking town as you get more experience and other players will probably give you a little more benefit of the doubt after seeing you get mislynched a few times. but they can’t give you infinite benefit of the doubt because you have the same chance of drawing scum as the rest of them.

on the other side with experienced players there can be a burden of profficiency problem where if you have a bit of an off month because of offline problems then all of a sudden people think they’re scum because they’re not able to put their heart into the game the way people have come to expect or whatever. i’m starting ot have that problem already. i’ve only been here for four months i’m still almost a newbie whhhhhhyyyyyyyy. :D

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:11 pm

In post 66, Plotinus wrote:I would push the newbie then, since the vet is guilty by association but the newbie is caught by logic. If the situation were reversed; if it was the vet caught by logic and the newbie by assocation, i’d push the vet first and then i’d look long and hard at whether the vet was trying to tie themselves to the newbie to make it look like they were the partner when they really weren’t.

but always push the person you think is scum and wait to see if you were right about that person before going after the people you think are associated with them because it could be a red herring; think about a game in which you were town but everyone thought you were scum and some people started talking about who your buddy was before you were lynched. they were wasting their time, right? should they have gone after your alleged buddy first? they were still going to lynch you eventually so that would have been 2 mislynches instead of 1.

experienced players do tend to get nightkilled more often than newbies, but it depends on how right they’re being about their reads or whether the mafia is PR hunting or who is looking really obvtown; a newbie that is looking really obviously like someone who has never seen a scum role pm in their life could get nightkilled over someone who is experienced but is somewhat suspected by half the town.

for a cop there are two schools of thought: investigate your biggest scum read (this is good if you’ve been towning it up a bit too much and you’re worried about getting nightkilled. you might not have many chances so you should try to hit scum as soon as you can), or if you’re a better player who is good at reading other people, you should investigate your null reads, the people you aren’t sure of, because you’re confident that the people you think are town are really town and you’re confident that the people you think are scum are really scum, so you use the ability to help you with the middle you’re not sure of.

i think on day 1 people are a bit reluctant to lynch people that they know and love so there can be some anti newbie bias there which is unfair. some more experienced players are harder to sort out on day 1 for legitimate reasons though; their scumgame and towngame might be pretty similar and people need more time to sort them out. but that’s also true of some lesser experienced players; i’ve seen you around and while i haven’t played with you i think you’re one of the players that’s pretty hard to sort because you do look pretty scummy as either alignment BUT you’ll probably start seeing that as people get to know you better they’re going to know that about you and you’ll stop getting lynched so much on day 1 because town doesn’t want to mislynch town, town needs to figure out who is mislynch bait and who is scum. you’ll probably get better at looking town as you get more experience and other players will probably give you a little more benefit of the doubt after seeing you get mislynched a few times. but they can’t give you infinite benefit of the doubt because you have the same chance of drawing scum as the rest of them.

on the other side with experienced players there can be a burden of profficiency problem where if you have a bit of an off month because of offline problems then all of a sudden people think they’re scum because they’re not able to put their heart into the game the way people have come to expect or whatever. i’m starting ot have that problem already. i’ve only been here for four months i’m still almost a newbie whhhhhhyyyyyyyy. :D

Thanks for your answer, you make some good points. You're right, I have a pretty scummy style and it hasn't really been until recently that people from my home site has started to understand me on a deeper level and I have ~10 games played there since February and the mafia over there its not at all as big as this site. Oddly enough, I've never really had people make a case for who I am associated with, at least nothing concrete, and never when I was town and my lynch was inevitable while being alive. Pretty sure on that though not 100% sure. And I wont consider myself outside of newbie range until I've played 20 games, but that's my own personal limit I am putting on myself.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:14 pm

Post by Plotinus »

It’ll get better with practice!

When I was scum people were speculating all over the place about who was scum with the townie i was trying to mislynch and usually they were just naming two townies and thinking they were probably scum together. doing preflip associatives like that is doing the scum team’s work for them, is what i’m saying.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:32 pm

In post 68, Plotinus wrote:It’ll get better with practice!

When I was scum people were speculating all over the place about who was scum with the townie i was trying to mislynch and usually they were just naming two townies and thinking they were probably scum together. doing preflip associatives like that is doing the scum team’s work for them, is what i’m saying.

Well my reads are starting to get a bit more respect on my home site. I've nailed a couple of scum and been killed for it so I must be doing something right. With so many games getting voted off day one you start picking up things in early game I guess. I will say that I'm either not at the level yet, or its the way I go about reading people, but I can't really get all technical about who is associated with who yet unless its pretty obvious to me. But yeah, I have my own ways of reading people and when I try to explain the why they are scum a lot of the time it makes no sense to most people. IDK how I really read people if I was going to dissect it -I just sort of get a feel that they are scum or town and I've usually been right more often that I am wrong recently. Looking townie isn't exactly my top priority right now. I just want to continue to develop good reads.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:01 am

I have a question. Who represented MS in the 'Mafia Championships Season Two' and how did they do?

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Post by quadz08 »

link?
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Post by Antihero »

i saw angrypidgeon somewhere on there
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

I think Angry Pigeon was last year. This year was someone whose name I recognized, but I can't remember who. GreyIce maybe?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”