Scum reading people you like/enjoy playing with

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Scum reading people you like/enjoy playing with

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

Alright, so I've been burnt quite a bit recently because I don't like scum reading people who I enjoy playing with. I'm not sure whether this sounds stupid or not but I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has this kind of problem and how they deal with it.

Like, I always feel really shitty when I scum read someone I like and push them hard, only for them to flip town. So, rather than risk upsetting or annoying someone I enjoy playing with, I try to find anything that even remotely resembles what could be town motivation and stick with that instead.

This has got to the point where it's causing me to play sub-optimally and I'm just wondering how people approach this problem or if anyone else even has it?
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:57 pm

Post by Faraday »

Ya. I got over it after being burned a few times, or just generally making sure I try to hold them to a higher standard of posting, I guess.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Post by Plotinus »

If this is partially about me, I don’t mind if you push me hard. I won’t be angry with you because from what I’ve seen you push based on ingame stuff and I haven’t seen you push me for playstyle stuff or real life stuff like being v/la or whatever. If you make a case against me, I won’t be offended even if you’re wrong. It’s “you’re scum but we won’t tell you why or put any more effort into figuring out your alignment because you’re just scum” stuff that would bother me[1], and you’re not one of the people that does that so it’s fine. Really.

[1] And it might be difficult to get anything alignment indicative out of my response.

“This game would be less fun for me personally if we lynched _____” and “I know I should nightkill _____ but I like them too much” are things I have felt and also said outright at times. In my offsite scumgame that finished back in May, our N1 kill choice was entirely based on “getting nightkilled on night 1 sucks when you were looking forward to playing so we shouldn’t nightkill the person who was nightkilled on night one last time, they should get a chance to play this time. also we shouldn’t nightkill anyone who this is their first game for the same reasons. now that we’ve narrowed the pool down, who would the mod have most likely given a good role to?” (from night 2 onwards we had rolecop results to use instead for our nightkills).

I think for me the hardest is when I have a friend that I know might get upset at being pushed but I don’t know what specifically it is that would upset them and I worry about hurting them accidentally (or just blunder into it and actually do). If I did know someone had certain buttons I would avoid pushing them because making the game less fun for my friends makes it less fun for me too and the response might not be alignment indicative or worse it might make them look bad when they’re really town. But trust is hard and scary so handing your friends a list of things to not do if they don’t want to hurt you is hard, so I kinda don’t know what to do or how to have the “how can I avoid making this unfun for you while still playing to my wincon” discussion with people.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:49 am

Post by Vi »

I believe that Mafia is not a game to play with people you like, at least on a personal level.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:36 am

Post by Vampirate »

In post 3, Vi wrote:I believe that Mafia is not a game to play with people you like, at least on a personal level.

I quite disagree.

When someone you like is scum and you are scum reading them depending on their play, while you are both enemies in your head. You can still admire someone's play and perceived schemes by yourself. Sort of 'so that's what you are up to :)' kinda thing.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:38 am

Post by Vampirate »

In post 0, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:Alright, so I've been burnt quite a bit recently because I don't like scum reading people who I enjoy playing with. I'm not sure whether this sounds stupid or not but I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has this kind of problem and how they deal with it.

Like, I always feel really shitty when I scum read someone I like and push them hard, only for them to flip town. So, rather than risk upsetting or annoying someone I enjoy playing with, I try to find anything that even remotely resembles what could be town motivation and stick with that instead.

This has got to the point where it's causing me to play sub-optimally and I'm just wondering how people approach this problem or if anyone else even has it?

Instead of taking it like that consider it a chess match between friends and consider it a challenge.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:06 am

Post by Vi »

Consider that a lot of games come down to "is this person really that stupid" and the answer is very frequently
yes they are that stupid
. Or you can substitute your own personal judgments about people in place of that example. Point being that this is a very easy game to make or take personal/ly.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:19 am

Post by RedCoyote »

In post 3, Vi wrote:I believe that Mafia is not a game to play with people you like, at least on a personal level.

...wha... Vi... you don't like me? ;_;

To answer BBT's question though, you just do it with a smile! Frankly, I really do love most of you guys. And the people I haven't played with are just people I will grow to love eventually. I love how everyone has their little personality quirks and it makes the game fun to try and mesh with a different group of people each time.

As town, I do try to read everyone as honestly as I can. If I like the person a lot and I scumread them, then you just tell them how much you love them as you twist the knife in their back.

"This hurts me more than it hurts you!"

The game will always end eventually (unless it's Chess Mafia), so there's always a chance to communicate post game, you know? So I really don't let it bother me.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 7, RedCoyote wrote:
...wha... Vi... you don't like me? ;_;
NO

I jest

I'm fine with liking peoples' personalities 'n' such, but I'm really not up for having to wonder if someone I care about is manipulating me or if I'm hurting them for the sake of something as trivial as a forum game. I have to do that sort of thing often enough without Mafia. For similar reasons, I'm uncomfortable with playing with people I have to see outside the thread for whichever reason.

I'm willing to acknowledge that this is my own problem, a difficulty with separating game from non-game.
Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Metal Sonic
Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Post by Metal Sonic »

In post 0, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:Alright, so I've been burnt quite a bit recently because I don't like scum reading people who I enjoy playing with. I'm not sure whether this sounds stupid or not but I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has this kind of problem and how they deal with it.

yeah i have this problem too

theres no cure*

just stop playing with them but be nice and all outside of game

*i haven't found one yet
oopsies! haha!

I've updated my wiki! Check it out!
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Post by Fro99er »

It's fine until it gets to the point it's impolite or insulting. I've been guilty of this myself.

But BBT go scumread me anytime. I know we're cool ;-)
"I officially announce Fro99er the king of guilties because this is the second time he has guiltied a slot I was really unsure about.
Heil King Froggo.
Ribbit ribbit." -Transcend
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:38 am

Post by Zachrulez »

With mafia you just have to always remember that the person you're playing with might not share your wincon, even if you like them and enjoy playing with them. You have to play to win, it's nothing personal.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Post by Ankamius »

I take nothing ingame personally unless whoever's attacking makes it personal. It's a game where this type of thing is just going to happen as part of the game, so there's no reason to take it to heart. If it gets bad enough, I just avoid playing games with them in the future.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 am

Post by Espeonage »

I use my anger at the person betraying me to fuel my pushes.
Don't @ me.
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Post by Benmage »

In post 1, Faraday wrote:Ya. I got over it after being burned a few times, or just generally making sure I try to hold them to a higher standard of posting, I guess.

Don't worry we were never friends.

:wink: hope all is well holmes
"ITT Benmage is making Shakespeare look cool. I need to bring you to my high school." -Vi
"If i must blantantly follow somone a player cannot do better than blindly following benmage" - tubby216
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:04 am

Post by BROseidon »

Most people handle this poorly, and it's part of the reason I'm not really playing anymore.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

I have this problem too. Like Ank said, don't use personal arguments. I'd also suggest reading them for things independent of tone/personality and the like. People will be more upset if they think you should know them better than to say something like, "Player X sounds happy/angry/frustrated, they're probably scum."
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:04 am

Post by Ranmaru »

I don't take it personally when friends push me. It's all business and I'd still push my friends, especially if I think they are scum. I will kill them if I think they are scum. I will happily buddy them if I think they are town. (This comes from a town perspective) Of course, I might feel bad pushing them as scum, yet still I'd push. If I buddy as scum I'd already be thinking of how it'd muddle my towniness as town. (Meaning, I'd lose their trust when I genuinely need it)

Also it depends on our history. Some of my friends have fooled me and have even pushed me as scum and I will never forget those times. :mad: So it makes it hard to feel bad when I push them when I truly think they are scum. Now if I'm town and I mislynch them when they are town, I will grieve for them.

Also, I feel this helps me bond with them. For example if I pushed someone who was town, as town, I'd ask for forgiveness and try to ease up the mood, as that situation would have been tense. Since the game (might be over), it's easy to just be relaxed and all happy instead of just cold and cruel. All hugs in end game. That's why I love doing shout outs, and I try to be as respectable to everyone as possible. (Consider I'm the type of guy that gets along with everyone)
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Post by ZZZX »

Scum reading friends can be fun. Many of my best pals here are made with us flaming the hell out of each others and calling each others scum until a random point where we just go 'meh ur town' 'you too'

It can be random. Otherwise nothing serious happens really.

Catching a friend is aweasom. Misltnching them hurts but you get over it
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:39 am

Post by Wisdom »

^this

I enjoy scumreading people I like and I will always push them first
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Post by Titus »

BBT, I play for fun and to read people. Don't deliberately scum or town read me because you like me. That being said, we have a certain implicit bias towards people who like us and who are like us.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:21 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

I agree with Titus. I have a horrible habit at the moment of scum - reading people who's tone feels overly aggressive, which is probably wrapped up in societal nonsense and not anything to do with their role pm!
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Post by VysePresident »

Honestly, I enjoy matching myself against friends - that's one of the biggest draws of playing, for me. Maybe I fool you, or you fool me, or we're both Town shooting each other in the feet, but as long as we can laugh about it afterwards, it's cool. It helps that I usually have a very high tolerance for people.

As for not wanting to call friends out on being stupid...eh, I find most of the world to be kinda dumb most of the time, myself included. It's something I try to handle carefully & constructively, but it's not a dealbreaker. It's not like paranoia doesn't factor into the equation, anyway, and it's hard to blame them for making bad decisions in those circumstances.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:36 am

Post by Elbirn »

So if we can set aside our implicit bias for town reading people we like or are friends with...can knowing someone on a personal level make them significantly easier to read?
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:33 am

Post by Vampirate »

In post 23, Elbirn wrote:So if we can set aside our implicit bias for town reading people we like or are friends with...can knowing someone on a personal level make them significantly easier to read?

Isn't that a double edged sword?

Like if you could easily read them can't it go both ways?

Then it goes, well if he/she knows I act this way, i'll act that way instead etc.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”