How do I act more town

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:29 am

Post by Kagami »

In post 24, Psyche wrote:Be reasonable.

This does not help you appear town.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:32 am

Post by Psyche »

chicks dig reasonableness
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:25 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 20, Wisdom wrote:
In post 13, BROseidon wrote:lolllllllllllllllll

The real answer is to get people to like you.

Nah. I get noone to like me yet people easily tell I'm town.

oh bullshit, wis. whether people admit to it or not, they pick up that you're confident and assertive and are therefore more likely to follow you and/or think you're town for that. sure, some people might get turned off, but overall the group tends to not lynch strong personalities unless they're just flat out offensive (and yours isn't).
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:24 am

Post by vonflare »

I like wisdom
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Runner
Runner
Goon
Runner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:54 pm

Post by Runner »

In post 28, vonflare wrote:I like wisdom
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Post by Psyche »

i'll give him one more game
Varian-
Varian-
Goon
Varian-
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:24 am

Post by Varian- »

You must make a ritual sacrifice on the altar of the wise townz who came before you. Only they can show you the way to being TruTown.
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don’t want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give you lemons!
Bacde
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:47 am

Post by Bacde »

I've always found that insisting I am town helps me

Like before anyone even starts asking just let them know that you are indeed town
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:14 am

Post by Wisdom »

eh that depends on player

Some people may even get scumread for such a thing
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Post by VysePresident »

In post 25, Kagami wrote:
In post 24, Psyche wrote:Be reasonable.

This does not help you appear town.

Sound
reasonable.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Post by Wisdom »

If you try to sound reasonable, you're trying to appear town. Town simply shouldn't care about that.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:33 am

Post by VysePresident »

I'm going to disagree with you on that. It's worked out very, very well for me, and I have yet to ever be lynched as Town. That's despite replacing into some high-risk slots, and other things.

Not getting lynched isn't the priority, but it sure helps. It's never held me back from catching scum either - quiet the opposite, actually.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 36, VysePresident wrote:I'm going to disagree with you on that. It's worked out very, very well for me, and I have yet to ever be lynched as Town. That's despite replacing into some high-risk slots, and other things.

Not getting lynched isn't the priority, but it sure helps. It's never held me back from catching scum either - quiet the opposite, actually.

Challenge accepted.

Expect me in one of your future games ;)
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Trojan Horse
Trojan Horse
Oldest Trick in the Book
Trojan Horse
Oldest Trick in the Book
Oldest Trick in the Book

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 am

Post by Trojan Horse »

In post 36, VysePresident wrote:I'm going to disagree with you on that. It's worked out very, very well for me, and
I have yet to ever be lynched as Town.
That's despite replacing into some high-risk slots, and other things.

Have you ever replaced out just before being lynched? :wink:
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Post by TheDominator37 »

In post 33, Wisdom wrote:eh that depends on player

Some people may even get scumread for such a thing

Hello Aeronaeous :wink:
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 35, Wisdom wrote:If you try to sound reasonable, you're trying to appear town. Town simply shouldn't care about that.

that's not true
trying to sound reasonable makes you more persuasive and gets scum lynched
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:35 pm

Post by VysePresident »

In post 38, Trojan Horse wrote:
In post 36, VysePresident wrote:I'm going to disagree with you on that. It's worked out very, very well for me, and
I have yet to ever be lynched as Town.
That's despite replacing into some high-risk slots, and other things.

Have you ever replaced out just before being lynched? :wink:

In my defense, that wasn't deliberate. I literally couldn't follow the game to any degree due to some ridiculous real life happenstances, and the slot was later victim to a scum no-kill gambit, if I followed correctly. (After my replaceout)

I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.
Vinkah
Vinkah
Goon
Vinkah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Post by Vinkah »

in the current meta, apathy.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:48 am

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 42, Vinkah wrote:in the current meta, apathy.

meh, scum can play that game as well

Saying dumb things over and over seems to be a way to get townread though.

I've never understood that either. Someone is useless but being kind of a VI or being completely stubborn and unhelpful and they are rewarded with a townread instead of a PL or told to replace the fuck out. Hell, I even saw someone get voted in a game for getting pissed at someone and telling them to play or replace. I know bad town is a thing, but it should be removed before lylo anyway and there's always a chance it's don't give a fuck scum as well.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Post by VysePresident »

Eh, I initially went that way because, back on my old site, it was pretty darn common for scum to push crappy Town play for easy mislynches.

I've since learned that this isn't exactly something you want to do reflexively.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:55 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 0, TheDominator37 wrote:I have yet to be scum yet in 3 games and yet I've been lynhed d1 3 straight games.what advice do you have to act more townie

I've only been mislynched twice in eight years

I'd tell you how I do it, but your choice of lifestyle makes me uncomfortable

Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:04 pm

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

if you spoke your mind, the town is entirely to blame for your lynch

that knowledge won't help you win but at least you won't feel like you were selling out to an abstract concept all game
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 am

Post by The Fonz »

In post 46, Bicephalous Bob wrote:if you spoke your mind, the town is entirely to blame for your lynch

that knowledge won't help you win but at least you won't feel like you were selling out to an abstract concept all game

Not particularly useful. Usually, there is blame to go around. Focussing on what other people did wrong won't help a player improve. Especially if you're being lynched D1 regularly - people do just have to play mafia in the context of the site's culture.

May I also recommend this blast from the past?

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?t=21886

@ Dominator: I took a look at Newbie 1617, a completed game. Thoughts on your play are:

1) You were one of the later players to start posting, and yet didn't appear to comment on anything that anyone else had said in the game, just voting for the IC for being an IC. That might indicate you are uninterested in scumhunting.
2) You didn't respond, when asked if you were aware BBT already had two votes on him. It's generally a good idea to answer any direct questions promptly and honestly.
3) Complaining about the early, low-information stages of the game without seeming to do very much to try to move the game on doesn't seem to add much value. You state that there is "Nothing to give analysis on" five pages in. Try to find something worthy of pushing, anything, and push it.
4) In consecutive posts, you tell another player "If you don't provide a defense, the lynch train is coming to your stop" then immediately, as in the very next post, vote for a different player. This may just have been you correcting the earlier failure to bold, but it seems dissonant with the previous post.
5) You say a lot of things that seem contradictory: "She seems scummy but I have a town read on her," "I have a serious vote but no scum reads." Often you are saying things that make some sense, but are counterintuitive, but stating them in a way that makes them not make sense. To give a positive example, when you are talking about your Yuri read, you are basically saying "She is acting strangely, but it seems an obvious reaction test, so I think she's town." But lack of clarity hurts you. Eventually, I think what dooms you is calling the vote you initially said was serious, then semi-serious, "RVS" and unvoting it when questioned.
6) You seem very impatient ("Refreshing every five seconds"). This combined with the short and throwaway posts is not unusual for someone who comes to MS.net from other sites, where games take about a day and people tend to be online for most of that time. Be aware that MS.net players tend to spend maybe a couple of hours per day on the site, then come back the following day. Hopefully you've gotten more used to this since your first game. ;)
7) Don't ever defend something someone else is suggesting is scummy with "That's just my game style." Explain why you think that's a good way to play as town.
8) You basically give up, go fatalistic, and start suggesting that maybe you should have lurked instead if this is how people are going to react to you. Don't do that.
9) You prematurely claim VT rather than trying to really defend yourself or scumhunt.
10) Having spent the entire game pretty much only talking about/to BBT, Willow and Yuri, you suddenly decide your top two suspects are KeyChain and Wanderer, with no explanation. This appears jarring to the reader. Have you suspected them all along? Then why didn't you say anything? Has something just happened that makes them look scummy? Then say what that is - in the post where you vote. Why are they now a better vote than BBT or anyone else? Not explaining in that situation made it seem like you made up your suspicion to try to get pressure off you. Especially since you then admit to having gotten Keychain mixed up with Mahonster.
11) Finally, in a deadline rush, with you and another player having claimed VT and the town not having time to run anyone else up, and being unwilling to extract more than two claims from D1 of a 9p game, they choose to default-lynch you basically because you seem more annoying and less useful than the other claimed vt.

This game features many of the classic newbie mistakes listed in the linked article.

To be clear, BlueBloodedToffee makes some mistakes in that game. He responds to you saying "Yuri seems too obvious to be mafia" by blanketly asserting a Mafiascum truism, that there is no such thing as Too Scummy To Be Scum, without explaining it, or considering that you might, being new, hold that position honestly. Willowmeadow was also clearly a very new and poor player. Basically, you were a raw newbie with the intuition "If the IC is scum, that's dangerous, therefore worth attacking" and Willow was a newbie with the intuition "If the IC is town, that's valuable, so scum would want to take them out." And neither of you really get beyond that into trying to ascertain what BBT actually is. Everything you do in that game seemed reactive to someone else pressuring you, and that's not a good place to be.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 am

Post by T S O »

That's a good post.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:22 am

Post by SilverWolf »

Wow, that link is fantastic. Thanks for posting it again. Super helpful.

This one here has my name written all over it:

In post 0, The Fonz wrote:
+ If you find yourself getting angry and emotional, it may be best to step away from the computer for half an hour. Get some juice or something, read a chapter of a book, then come back to the game.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”