How do I act more town

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

How do I act more town

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:51 am

Post by TheDominator37 »

I have yet to be scum yet in 3 games and yet I've been lynhed d1 3 straight games.what advice do you have to act more townie
Trojan Horse
Trojan Horse
Oldest Trick in the Book
Trojan Horse
Oldest Trick in the Book
Oldest Trick in the Book

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 am

Post by Trojan Horse »

Don't worry about acting townie. Focus on finding scum.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 am

Post by Ether »

Don't talk about ongoing games.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Post by Espeonage »

Well rly. If you get known for finding scum, people will keep you around. Don't get bogged down defending yourself bc it will get you nowhere. Just focus on the catching scum thing. Make yourself heard and that is the best you can do. Hopefully if you leave your reads clear even if you are lynched people might take them in to account. Doesn't happen as much as it used to but it's still important to make sure if you are being lynched that people know what your reads are.
Don't @ me.
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Post by TheDominator37 »

In post 2, Ether wrote:Don't talk about ongoing games.

That has nothing to do with this
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:17 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Trojan Horse/Espeonage have basically given the best piece of advice: the best way to act more town, really, is simply
being
town, and not being worried about looking town. Scum worry about looking town, so if you're worried about looking town, then in some manner, you're going to be tripping alarm bells. As a town player, your main focus should instead be to simply find the scum. Most players don't do so perfectly--quite a lot don't, really. But the important thing is the process, to be seen doing it. Let your thoughts be known. It is really, really important that people see that thought process: what your reads are, why you have them, and how strong they are, so that they understand your actions better.

So it basically boils down to acting natural, being transparent, looking for scum, and healthy doses of experience (both others of you, and you of the site) plus luck. That last bit also is noteworthy, too--while it may be your 'fault', sometimes, you just have a bad streak of games. Happens even to the best of veterans. (Including me; I know for a fact I had a solid mislynch streak a couple years back.) So give it time. You'll develop, and learn for yourself what works and what doesn't.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Be honest. Always explain your mindset. Since you are town what you are doing and thinking are genuine, and have good intentions. So there shouldn't be a problem. You'll probably get lynched a few times but that would be because of poor play/making mistakes. Don't be afraid to make mistakes that will cause your lynch. Just make sure to learn from them, otherwise you'll be that player that always gets lynched.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Another thing I thought of: I know you can't control this, but take our word for it: after being scum once, everything begins to become much, MUCH easier to grasp. Seeing through the other side gives you a far better perspective on the game than reading any mafia QT/PT could; you're living the experience, full-time, rather than seeing its aftermath, so you become intimately familiar with how you operate as scum.

Another thing is, it never hurts to ask people for help. Both while you're alive (just don't get too over-the-top), dead, and in post-game. Feedback on yourself, and not only on yourself, but the things you're saying. Did/do they make sense? If not, is there a reason why they don't? Gathering as much information as you can from the other players gives you a better idea of how you are perceived by them, and thus, gives you a much better grasp on how to be who they need you to be.

Like I said in my previous post, though, this is a skill people are continuously refining. You get better at it with experience, but even veterans fail time to time, and sometimes fail in a series of bad games, making them "down on their luck". Yet if they keep playing, inevitably, whatever flaw they were having eventually gets worked out of the system and they can get back on their feet.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:40 pm

Post by Plotinus »

In post 7, mastin2 wrote:Another thing I thought of: I know you can't control this, but take our word for it: after being scum once, everything begins to become much, MUCH easier to grasp. Seeing through the other side gives you a far better perspective on the game than reading any mafia QT/PT could; you're living the experience, full-time, rather than seeing its aftermath, so you become intimately familiar with how you operate as scum.

I second this. A lot of my pushes were really really weak and tended to be about non alignment indicative things and i kept using phrases like “because the wiki says” in my cases…until I had 1 scumgame under my belt because until I’d been there, I had no idea what that mindset looked like or what I was even supposed to be looking for in other people.

And now, of course, when playing with newer players, “this player has really really obviously never been scum before in their entire lives including this game” is a major towntell that I use to sort them. And now that I’ve been both alignments, I can make stronger cases like “I’ve totally done that before as scum” or “this player is worrying about the sort of thing I only worry about when I’m scum”.

In the meantime, just keep doing your best and muddle through. It’ll get a lot easier (as both alignments) once you’ve played both alignments before. Try to think of how scum played in your games and what tactics they were using and look for other people doing the same thing that you’ve seen before.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Post by TheDominator37 »

Thanks guys that helps
Now all I need to be is scum. Maybe reverse physics works
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Also a better question is "How do I catch the scumz'. I mean it'll help you just do what town should do (like others were saying), and then you won't be worrying about image.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Post by T S O »

just fucking scream at everyone always

if they call you scum they are shit

even if you are scum

they are shit
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:18 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 11, T S O wrote:just fucking scream at everyone always

even if you are scum

they are shit

sage words
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 6, Ranmaru wrote:Be honest. Always explain your mindset. Since you are town what you are doing and thinking are genuine, and have good intentions. So there shouldn't be a problem.

lolllllllllllllllll

The real answer is to get people to like you.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Basically, just don't try to sabotage your alignment or piss everyone off. Everything else is experience and paying attention.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 13, BROseidon wrote:The real answer is to get people to like you.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Post by Vampirate »

Step 1: Go to Town

Step 2: Act.

Tadaaaaa
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Bulbazoor
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Bulbazoor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Post by Bulbazoor »

1. Get the IC to have a fun game experience with you.
2. Get good reads.
3. Di not say stuff you think would be detrimental to your town self.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:42 pm

Post by Muffin »

In post 0, TheDominator37 wrote:I have yet to be scum yet in 3 games and yet I've been lynhed d1 3 straight games.what advice do you have to act more townie

The D1 lynch is rarely the scummiest player. The D1 lynch is almost always one of: the newbie, the not-very-well-known player, or the least charismatic player.

Players are reluctant to lynch their friends on D1. You see a lot of BS being thrown around like "I can't sort Player XYZ until D3 or 4" which really means "I'd rather lynch you, the non-member of my clique". Understand and accept that this is the unfortunate reality of the shitty meta here, realize that D1 of almost every game is pretty worthless, and just be charismatic and friendly until you get to D2 when the real game begins.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:59 am

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 11, T S O wrote:just fucking scream at everyone always

even if you are scum

they are shit

Raging works because it makes people second guess themselves. If you know damn well you are town and people are making shit cases on you, tear those cases apart. Get pissed off about it. Then make a really good case on your biggest scumspect. By all means, scumhunt-have good reasons for suspecting someone. But if town is being stupid or scum is being opportunistic, say so. Show some passion and that you give a shit. Go through every vote on your wagon and dissect it for town and give your reads so if you are lynched, they are there.

The above can be done if you are scum too and being strung up.

Also, don't lurk as either alignment. Seriously, just don't.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:21 pm

Post by Wisdom »

In post 13, BROseidon wrote:
In post 6, Ranmaru wrote:Be honest. Always explain your mindset. Since you are town what you are doing and thinking are genuine, and have good intentions. So there shouldn't be a problem.

lolllllllllllllllll

The real answer is to get people to like you.

Nah. I get noone to like me yet people easily tell I'm town.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:24 pm

Post by Wisdom »

Also, Muffin is right. Even subconsciously, people tend to want to lynch people they don't know than people they know and like. It's not always a case of "cliques", it's also the lack of previous experience that can help with sorting those people you don't know, especially when we're talking about meta-reliant players.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Post by Plotinus »

As town, don’t hold too many cards close to your chest (except for stuff like do you have a power role, what you’re going to interpret the nightkill to mean before it happens, what crumbs did you spot, stuff like that). If people can clearly follow your train of thought and understand why you’re scumreading your scumreads and townreading your town reads, that goes a long way.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:22 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

Get a mafia role pm
It will make you look town beyond reason