Confessions.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 124, Antihero wrote:that's the worst reason of them all

...and make no mistake. when i say you don't have a valid reason, i mean YOU PERSONALLY, hypothetical reader who's actually thinking about lying to get a lynch. i'm looking you straight in the eyes and telling you that your reasons for even thinking about doing that are crap. now i'm leaning over and whispering in your ear that you're not all that and you should get over yourself.

What about gambiting?
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Post by Antihero »

it's a question that answers itself.
if you have to pause and ask, the answer is no. and if even you don't, the answer is still probably no.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Anti how did you find me? You're scaring me
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 126, Antihero wrote:it's a question that answers itself.
if you have to pause and ask, the answer is no. and if even you don't, the answer is still probably no.

That seems like a rather extreme stance. I can think of several instances in which it's better to lie as town.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Post by catboi »

...and make no mistake. when i say you don't have a valid reason, i mean YOU PERSONALLY, hypothetical reader who's actually thinking about lying to get a lynch. i'm looking you straight in the eyes and telling you that your reasons for even thinking about doing that are crap. now i'm leaning over and whispering in your ear that you're not all that and you should get over yourself.

But what if I don't like someone and don't want to play with them, if I just fake a guilty on them it solves the problem easily~
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 129, catboi wrote:

But what if I don't like someone and don't want to play with them, if I just fake a guilty on them it solves the problem easily~

Wow. I hope you're not being serious.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 128, Accountant wrote:

That seems like a rather extreme stance. I can think of several instances in which it's better to lie as town.

the benefits in such scenarios are largely, if not entirely, imaginary
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

I very much agree with anti

however since we are in the confessions booth I feel I must unburden my soul.

I lied once as town. I said I was a hider when we were the vig. I even fakeclaimed a town hide that was town! but shot 2 town. :(

most of it was to try to simplify the game but it didn't quite work out.

so far for vig kills I am 2:2 on this site.
whew!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:02 pm

Post by Psyche »

my vig shot never misses for some reason
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

I think I've lied twice as Town my whole time here.

Once was more a not-the-whole-truth lie where I kept my 4th JOAT ability a secret as part of a planned LyLo gambit, and ultimitely misread a reaction and cost Town the game.

The second time someone asked the classicly bad question "What alignment are you?" so I decided to troll and made up the craziest fakeclaim ever. This one was meant to be an obvious joke but so many people believed it that I just went with it. It factored into one of the scum groups both killing me and roleblocking me N1. I was a VT.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:25 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I've lied once I think...I had a game where I was a mason and a weak jailkeeper, but I claimed mason and one shot cop. Tldr my mason buddy died and was the real 1 shot cop, I claimed what he had because "lol got us Ima put all my cards on the table cuz I'm elbirn and I play straight up, symmetrical masons yupyup dont nk me please". managed to get another investigation out. Not sure if good lie or bad. Might not have mattered.

As for vigs fuck vigs every time I'm vig my iq drops 30 points
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:07 am

Post by Ether »

You know. I don't think I've ever lied. It's weird.

Sometimes scum shoot me because they think I'm breadcrumbing cop, and I'm vanilla who had no idea I was doing that. This has happened at least three times. Does that count?

There are a few things lying makes sense for--mostly about number of shots. In general, there are lies we tell to town, lies we tell to scum, and lies that we think we're telling to scum but then we just got counterclaimed by the real doctor and we're a moron. #2 is the only kind of lie worth even considering, but even there it might throw off the town's sense of game balance and get you in trouble if you aren't careful.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:57 am

Post by Postie »

In post 136, Ether wrote:There are a few things lying makes sense for--mostly about number of shots. In general, there are lies we tell to town, lies we tell to scum, and lies that we think we're telling to scum but then we just got counterclaimed by the real doctor and we're a moron. #2 is the only kind of lie worth even considering, but even there it might throw off the town's sense of game balance and get you in trouble if you aren't careful.

What about lies you tell to scum but that involve you having to lie to town too?
I just completed my first game and in it I lied about townreading a null read that everyone else was townreading because I hoped that would make them less likely to night kill me if they turned out to be scum.

Edit: Wait lol that's probably what you meant by #2.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:13 am

Post by Ether »

Everything I said only applies to role-based lies. Lying about reads isn't going to leave a trail of outed power roles in your wake no matter how badly you do it, and anyone who calls Lynch All Liars on it is just being dumb. There's a lot more leeway there.

Personally I think it's better to be open about your reads too, it's easier for people to read you that way and people might think you're being opportunistic if you don't treat a supposed town read the way you're expected to. But it's not the end of the world if you don't.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:17 am

Post by Plotinus »

I think it’s okay to be open about your reads to a point but if you’re only townreading someone because you think they’re crumbing something but they’re otherwise being really lacklustre, you shouldn’t put them in the MY INEXPLICABLE TOP TOWNREADS section of your reads list but shove them in with the nulls.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:21 am

Post by Ether »

Oh, yeah, Plotinus is totally right. If you think someone's a power role, the town absolutely doesn't need to know that detail.

Also, if you change your reads wildly enough, you don't need to lie about them! Sometimes people act like I'm laying clever traps for scum. NOPE. (This applies more to leading an attack on someone and then turning around and deciding they're town, though, not the other way around so much.)
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:45 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 134, Alchemist21 wrote:I think I've lied twice as Town my whole time here.

Once was more a not-the-whole-truth lie where I kept my 4th JOAT ability a secret as part of a planned LyLo gambit, and ultimitely misread a reaction and cost Town the game.

The second time someone asked the classicly bad question "What alignment are you?" so I decided to troll and made up the craziest fakeclaim ever. This one was meant to be an obvious joke but so many people believed it that I just went with it. It factored into one of the scum groups both killing me and roleblocking me N1. I was a VT.

The second was hilariously unbalanced 2, right?
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:09 am

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 97, Ankamius wrote:All unflavored milk (skim, 1%, 2%, whole) are nasty to me.

:neutral:
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:12 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 128, Accountant wrote:

The thing is, 99% of the time you think that, you're still wrong.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:19 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

I just completed my first game and in it I lied about townreading a null read that everyone else was townreading because I hoped that would make them less likely to night kill me if they turned out to be scum.

Eh. Exaggerating your reads a little isn't really a "lie" in the mafia sense.

That being said, trying to avoid the night kill only makes sense if you're a cop or something. If you're VT you really don't care if the scum kills you or not. And being forthcoming about your read both makes it easier for other town to read you as town, and it makes it easier for everyone else to scumhunt.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 141, Ankamius wrote:
In post 134, Alchemist21 wrote:I think I've lied twice as Town my whole time here.

The second was hilariously unbalanced 2, right?

Yup. Lol
Garmr
Garmr
Survivor
Garmr
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Post by Garmr »

I used to exploit the voting rules with fake votes before the rule they were revamped and played them off as mistakes.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:01 am

Post by Quilford »

I vigged Faraday once, and I've never felt so alive.

Just kidding, I got yelled at a lot.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:24 am

Post by SilverWolf »

I don't outright lie as town. There's never been a need for me to do so. The times I've seen people lie and gambit as town, have never worked out. I've shot as vig and hit scum. But I was super careful about it and made sure I really thought the person was scum. I've also seen the vig in games hit town more than once so I'm kind of meh on the vig role.

Confessions: I once had all of the scum figured out in a game and let all those reads go and instead helped them lynch lurkers and other anti-town players who were all town. Yeah, that town sucked. Most of the good players were on the scumteam :/
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
GrayFoxxxx
GrayFoxxxx
Mafia Scum
GrayFoxxxx
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:55 am

Post by GrayFoxxxx »

^Do I know of said game?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”