Do username/avatar/gender affect perceived suspicousness?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:04 am

Post by quadz08 »

Color of username definitely matters

I am very open about the fact that I suck at mafia - no one ever considered me a good player at any point (average at the very highest). Then I became a listmod, joined a game or two, and suddenly people were treating me like I was better than average. I am decidedly not that!
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:22 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

there is nothing I love more than lynching someone with an anime avatar
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:18 am

Post by Oversoul »

In post 18, Ranmaru wrote:How about a mafia game for only men? What would happen???

I think this happens often.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:16 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 26, Untrod Tripod wrote:there is nothing I love more than lynching someone with an anime avatar

I'm getting the feeling that anime avatars are like marmite. :P
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Post by kuribo »

Yes, if you have a sinister looking avatar it affects my opinion of you

For some reason people think my avatar looks angry
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Post by Vampirate »

Just lynch all the Guys In Real Life and everything's fine.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Post by Varsoon »

So, hey, I'm actually qualified to chime in on this subject.

Basically, we're building digital personas here. Your avatar is the most important piece of information that you're putting forward for a few reasons;
-It is an image, which processes much quicker than words and other symbols
-It is a recurring image that is linked to your existence, which causes it to serve as a digital 'persona'
-Most players bring this to its logical conclusion--a portrait avatar of a living being, often a human face. This becomes that player's digital 'face'.

I've been paranoid of zMuffin's screaming wolf avatar and I'm not even that spooked by wolves.
I've been chilled out by Flum's Hobbes avatar and Bookitty's Hello Kitty avatar.
I've wanted to policy lynch Debonair Danny DiPietro for that smug Penn avatar.

So, consider the 'face' you want to put forth. People will recall their memories of your play via that face as well, so if you have had some particularly bad games, a change of avatar may be a way to distance yourself from those old associations.
Regardless of what you do, your avatar serves as a repeated signifier of your identity that has more immediacy than anything else in this digital space.

Username comes second to avatar, and I don't believe that most usernames actually influence play all too much. Now, there are some notable things to be said about names in general--mostly that people tend to favor shorter names (this is why most usernames are shortened to one/two syllable nicknames) and that particularly striking usernames will cause reactions. Those reactions, however, tend to be more personal. Going back to DDP--his username also bugged me simply because it felt unnecessarily affecting. I suppose it's the difference between meeting a guy named Joe and meeting the same guy but he calls himself Maxmillian Joseph Epcott the Sixteenth. Similarly, some names that are a bit more playful can open a more relaxed environment. I feel like I typically can chat with players like Cheetory or Bookitty, because the 'ty' ending of those names isn't threatening, awkward, or distant for me. By the same right, someone with the username 'Xx_Sephiroth06_xX' would illicit me thinking, "Heh, nerd," but wouldn't really paint how I think of the player after a few games. I think the important thing here is that the name ends up being almost tertiary, and maybe that's something I should get into.

For many players, posts are the primary aspect of the game. Secondary to posts are user avatars, which carry weight and are tied to the game but do not directly influence the game in the same way posts do. In this way, usernames are technically secondary, but their influence really doesn't seem on-par with the user image, and, honestly, I tend to use the avatar as a means of identification more than the username. In several ways, the username becomes as influential as a truly tertiary subject.

Which brings me to gender on forum mafia. Gender is absolutely tertiary. I've only ever seen gender come up when players make it a point to bring it up, and when they do, it feels forced and out of place. When considering a digital identity in which players typically use avatars that are not reflective of their physical selves, Gender becomes a nebulous quality. Many people actually assume gender based on user avatar (deferring to the immediacy of the image and how gender is typically divined) but our digital identities here allow use to escape gender as a real consideration. In almost every game, it does not have a direct influence on the post made (in that gender is not mentioned in the posts, that is). When considering other players, the Username and Avatar become the means of identification, but gender is secondary to those, as both the avatar and username may belie a gender but don't have any actual connection to your gender unless you decide to make them that way. While gender certainly is important in face-to-face mafia and it certainly plays into the approach/mentality players have, actual considerations of gender hardly ever have an effect on a game. Certainly not in the way a name might, and definitely not in the way that an avatar does.

Ugh, I'm getting too longwinded.

TL;DR:
I'm a nerd and really into digital rhetoric.
Avatar is most important thing, choose it wisely.
Username ain't such a big deal.
Gender's literally a non-thing.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:39 am

Post by Porochaz »

Noone's mentioned Adel yet?
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:01 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 31, Varsoon wrote:I've been paranoid of zMuffin's screaming wolf avatar and I'm not even that spooked by wolves.
I've been chilled out by Flum's Hobbes avatar and Bookitty's Hello Kitty avatar.

My first memory of avatar affecting my read on someone was way back in 2008 when Claus was around and used his evil Santa Claus avatar

I swear I thought that guy was scum every time I saw that wickedly grinning St. Nick

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:15 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

I think avatars only affect the first few games you play. After people know who you are and the avatars doesn't matter anymore.
Windows hasn't detected any keyboard. Press Enter.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:51 am

Post by Katsuki »

In post 32, Porochaz wrote:Noone's mentioned Adel yet?

Was about to say.

Gender is huge, and there are scummers I can point to who are heavily influenced by it.

Avatar for me only really affects for first impressions, which does affect how I see said player from thereon out.

Mod colors matter if you don't know them.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:04 am

Post by Postie »

Some great points, Varsoon!

In post 32, Porochaz wrote:Noone's mentioned Adel yet?

What.

In post 34, vezokpiraka wrote:I think avatars only affect the first few games you play. After people know who you are and the avatars doesn't matter anymore.

I'm not sure whether it would stop mattering completely, but I can definitely see people becoming more apathetic towards a person's avatar as they become used to it.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Katsuki »

Adel was a male who fakeclaimed female for the intended purpose of gaining an in-game advantage.
Last edited by Katsuki on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:25 am

Post by sthar8 »

I enjoy lynching animes and they have a higher bar to meet before I consider them proficient.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:30 am

Post by popsofctown »

Adel was a mafiascum user that played using the opposite gender because he thought it would give him an advantage at mafia. There's probably plenty of other people that do that too. Adel had lots of out-of-game friendships with other users though, and continued to use a false gender for those interactions, which was, a controversial choice of his, and why he is memorable. He eventually confessed to it.

I'm not sure you can conclude anything about gender's impact on gameplay based on his games, so I don't see that much value in bringing him up.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:35 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 37, Katsuki wrote:Adel was a male who fakeclaimed female for the intended purpose of gaining an in-game advantage.

As opposed to just letting people assume? ;)

Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:18 am

Post by Postie »

Oh, I see. I considered pretending to be male, but I forgot what my thinking behind that was. Maybe I'll make a male alt at some point just to see how much of a difference it makes.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:20 am

Post by quadz08 »

Adel, I believe, used to say that people interacted with him differently after he ended his 'experiment.' There was no actually scientific rigor applied to the experiment, so who knows what the difference was in practice (especially considering that him having successfully lied for several months would likely play into people's opinions of his scumgame
in and of itself
).
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:47 am

Post by popsofctown »

Yeah, the fact that Adel lied in a manner external to the game is a much more powerful factor than which gender he was perceived as so you can't really gather any info. A better test would be someone who just played different alts with different genders.

It's also different because he started out one thing than switched to another which makes him different from an account that has always been one or the other since it began.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 am

Post by catboi »

In post 26, Untrod Tripod wrote:there is nothing I love more than lynching someone with an anime avatar

same
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Post by farside22 »

I see none of this ever effects me at all.
I'm female, players that don't know me think I'm a he.
My user name gets mostly jokes.
The reality is the longer you have been here, the less people trust you.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:12 pm

Post by farside22 »

In post 31, Varsoon wrote:So, hey, I'm actually qualified to chime in on this subject.

Basically, we're building digital personas here. Your avatar is the most important piece of information that you're putting forward for a few reasons;
-It is an image, which processes much quicker than words and other symbols
-It is a recurring image that is linked to your existence, which causes it to serve as a digital 'persona'
-Most players bring this to its logical conclusion--a portrait avatar of a living being, often a human face. This becomes that player's digital 'face'.

I've been paranoid of zMuffin's screaming wolf avatar and I'm not even that spooked by wolves.

So, consider the 'face' you want to put forth. People will recall their memories of your play via that face as well, so if you have had some particularly bad games, a change of avatar may be a way to distance yourself from those old associations.
Regardless of what you do, your avatar serves as a repeated signifier of your identity that has more immediacy than anything else in this digital space.

Username comes second to avatar, and I don't believe that most usernames actually influence play all too much. Now, there are some notable things to be said about names in general--mostly that people tend to favor shorter names (this is why most usernames are shortened to one/two syllable nicknames) and that particularly striking usernames will cause reactions. Those reactions, however, tend to be more personal. Going back to DDP--his username also bugged me simply because it felt unnecessarily affecting. I suppose it's the difference between meeting a guy named Joe and meeting the same guy but he calls himself Maxmillian Joseph Epcott the Sixteenth. Similarly, some names that are a bit more playful can open a more relaxed environment. I feel like I typically can chat with players like Cheetory or Bookitty, because the 'ty' ending of those names isn't threatening, awkward, or distant for me. By the same right, someone with the username 'Xx_Sephiroth06_xX' would illicit me thinking, "Heh, nerd," but wouldn't really paint how I think of the player after a few games. I think the important thing here is that the name ends up being almost tertiary, and maybe that's something I should get into.

For many players, posts are the primary aspect of the game. Secondary to posts are user avatars, which carry weight and are tied to the game but do not directly influence the game in the same way posts do. In this way, usernames are technically secondary, but their influence really doesn't seem on-par with the user image, and, honestly, I tend to use the avatar as a means of identification more than the username. In several ways, the username becomes as influential as a truly tertiary subject.

Which brings me to gender on forum mafia. Gender is absolutely tertiary. I've only ever seen gender come up when players make it a point to bring it up, and when they do, it feels forced and out of place. When considering a digital identity in which players typically use avatars that are not reflective of their physical selves, Gender becomes a nebulous quality. Many people actually assume gender based on user avatar (deferring to the immediacy of the image and how gender is typically divined) but our digital identities here allow use to escape gender as a real consideration. In almost every game, it does not have a direct influence on the post made (in that gender is not mentioned in the posts, that is). When considering other players, the Username and Avatar become the means of identification, but gender is secondary to those, as both the avatar and username may belie a gender but don't have any actual connection to your gender unless you decide to make them that way. While gender certainly is important in face-to-face mafia and it certainly plays into the approach/mentality players have, actual considerations of gender hardly ever have an effect on a game. Certainly not in the way a name might, and definitely not in the way that an avatar does.

Ugh, I'm getting too longwinded.

TL;DR:
I'm a nerd and really into digital rhetoric.
Avatar is most important thing, choose it wisely.
Username ain't such a big deal.
Gender's literally a non-thing.

I think people just noticed when I changed it. No one realized till I told them it is the same child just about 3 years or 4 years older (can't remember how old he was in my first avi of my son) :oops:
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

I never knew that was your son. Lol
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Post by farside22 »

In post 47, Alchemist21 wrote:I never knew that was your son. Lol

I have so many pic's I've used since he was born.
This one is perfect for mafia. :D
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Post by Espeonage »

It appears no one has forgotten I'm shit at mafia even though I got this badge thing.
Don't @ me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”