Is playstyle allignment inficative?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Is playstyle allignment inficative?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:40 am

Post by TheDominator37 »

With out substantial meta would playstyle be allignment indicative?
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:59 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

No, because it's literally how you play. Unfortunately people who are unfamiliar with someone will often scumread someone for something that's just playstyle, but usually those same people realize it in time to know it was a mistake so even in the same first game people are able to differentiate between alignment and playstyle.

Of course, if you go into a thread and just lurk or spampost or do something harmful to the game people may want to Policy Lynch you without even caring about your alignment.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by T S O »

Theoretically, no. In practice, if your "playstyle" happens to be very scummy/very useless, you're probably going to end up dead quickly.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Overall playstyle? No. The only thing you can measure from that is how pro-town or anti-town your playstyle is.

Putting it in context to how your playstyle is affected by different situations? That's basically meta.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:08 am

Post by wgeurts »

I'm constantly being scum read as town, so I'd say without meta; no.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

I get scumread early game more as town than as scum. If one more person tells me being defensive is a scumtell, I'm going to ask them to meta my town games when people are scumreading me as town for ridiculously stupid things like defensiveness which is not alignment indicative for me or a lot of people.

So the answer is no-playstyle is not alignment indicative, it's personality indicative.

To find alignment, you have to look for what the motivation is in everything a person does and figure out if it comes from scum or town.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Post by TheDominator37 »

In post 5, SilverWolf wrote:I get scumread early game more as town than as scum. If one more person tells me being defensive is a scumtell, I'm going to ask them to meta my town games when people are scumreading me as town for ridiculously stupid things like defensiveness which is not alignment indicative for me or a lot of people.

So the answer is no-playstyle is not alignment indicative, it's personality indicative.

To find alignment, you have to look for what the motivation is in everything a person does and figure out if it comes from scum or town.

Being defensive is a scum tell
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Post by Fro99er »

In post 6, TheDominator37 wrote:Being defensive is a scum tell

Wrong.

It is for some. It isn't for others. For even others, it's contextual based.

Playstyles
"I officially announce Fro99er the king of guilties because this is the second time he has guiltied a slot I was really unsure about.
Heil King Froggo.
Ribbit ribbit." -Transcend
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 6, TheDominator37 wrote:
In post 5, SilverWolf wrote:I get scumread early game more as town than as scum. If one more person tells me being defensive is a scumtell, I'm going to ask them to meta my town games when people are scumreading me as town for ridiculously stupid things like defensiveness which is not alignment indicative for me or a lot of people.

Do you honestly believe that every person who gets defensive in a game is scum? What about anger? Is every angry person town?
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
TheDominator37
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
TheDominator37
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Post by TheDominator37 »

In post 8, SilverWolf wrote:

Do you honestly believe that every person who gets defensive in a game is scum? What about anger? Is every angry person town?

Nah. I always say when anyone says "if x says y then I will do z" I always do y
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:28 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 9, TheDominator37 wrote:
In post 8, SilverWolf wrote:

Nah. I always say when anyone says "if x says y then I will do z" I always do y

LOL-missed that the first time. :P
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:59 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 7, Fro99er wrote:
In post 6, TheDominator37 wrote:Being defensive is a scum tell

Wrong.

It is for some. It isn't for others. For even others, it's contextual based.

Playstyles

It's still a net positive to encourage people to not be defensive.
Taking a break from the site.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:39 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In a vacuum, on average, most people really do tend to have a playstyle look more "town" when they're town, and more "scum" when they're scum.

Meta is very useful, because it basically lets you grade on a curve. "Ok, this guy is always a -4 on the scumminess scale, and this game he's a -4, so that probably doesn't tell me anything; this guy is usually a -2 on the scumminess scale, but this game he's a -7, let's lynch him". But even without that, if you lynch people who look scummy, you still tend to get better results then random.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
TierShift
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
TierShift
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:29 am

Post by TierShift »

It's sad how people do not understand the definition of a
scumtell.

Scum are defensive more often than town. When you see someone being defensive, it makes the player more likely to be scum (as scum do it more often). This makes it a scumtell, even though it's a particularly weak, inaccurate and on some people completely ineffective one.

I think yosarian's post has truth in it, but it is a bit of an oversimplification. Usually people don't get magically scummy as scum, not in a manner that you can put it on a scale, at least.

I feel you should just take your knowledge of a certain player's playstyle as a baseline. Everything he does that is not conform to your knowledge of his playstyle you should note and you should judge if these things together make him more or less likely to be scum.

Basically, if you know a player's playstyle, you can just filter away everything playstyle-related and examine the actually important things.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:37 am

Post by T S O »

Sometimes, when I'm town, I feel like even though the lynch I'm pushing is likely scum, even if it doesn't flip scum, it's still going to be kinda beneficial to town to have these people removed, usually because their playstyle is a mix of lurk/uselessness. The fact is that some games are essentially a race between town and scum as the former try to get the latter lynched before the latter can kill the competent among the former, which tends to be quite low. The only way to sort these people is to lynch them, while you can essentially sort competent people by if they're alive on d5 or not.

What I'm trying to say here is that you can say that your playstyle is unique and all of that, which is fine, but if your "playstyle" contains negative traits, mainly lurking or incompetence, then your playstyle is going to get you lynched a lot, so you should really try to change that.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:08 am

Post by Ankamius »

I'm more defensive as town than scum.
Bacde
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:15 am

Post by Bacde »

Yes, people with certain playstyles are more likely to have gotten a scum role PM and thus be scum. If a person has a scummy playstyle thats provable with meta for both alignments, they will almost always have a scum role PM in your current game and you should lynch them.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by SilverWolf »

In post 14, T S O wrote:Sometimes, when I'm town, I feel like even though the lynch I'm pushing is likely scum, even if it doesn't flip scum, it's still going to be kinda beneficial to town to have these people removed, usually because their playstyle is a mix of lurk/uselessness. The fact is that some games are essentially a race between town and scum as the former try to get the latter lynched before the latter can kill the competent among the former, which tends to be quite low. The only way to sort these people is to lynch them, while you can essentially sort competent people by if they're alive on d5 or not.

What I'm trying to say here is that you can say that your playstyle is unique and all of that, which is fine, but if your "playstyle" contains negative traits, mainly lurking or incompetence, then your playstyle is going to get you lynched a lot, so you should really try to change that.

Agree, totally.

In post 15, Ankamius wrote:I'm more defensive as town than scum.

I can be. It depends on the situation. It really isn't alignment indicative for me at all, although I do need to work on it. I've seen a lot of defensiveness from some players when they are town. I guess I didn't even realize scum are more likely to do it because that hasn't been my experience so far either in the games I play or when I roll scum. Anger is something I can do as either alignment as well. Not on purpose, but it can happen.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Post by kuribo »

"Defensive" can be a subjective term. If you are defending yourself, you are not necessarily being defensive.

On the other hand, you are expected to defend yourself to many extents. Tell me, who is more likely to be scum? A guy who argues and pleads with you and refutes your points continually while they're attacked? Or a guy who ignores every question he's asked and feels no need to answer for his actions? The first guy is being defensive, but that doesn't make him more likely to be scum. A player who stone walls you and shows not a care in the world for your attacks may just as easily be scum. (He isn't responding because he knows you have no credibility.)

But then again people rely too much on their scum tells
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 15, Ankamius wrote:I'm more defensive as town than scum.

I'm waaaaaaay more hostile and argumentative while town. As scum I feel like I can play the hostility card hard enough to look town and get away with anything. Generally, it takes catching me in a blatant lie as scum to get me lynched, and even then it's very rare.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew

Return to “Mafia Discussion”