An article with a proof on optimal mafia play.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:56 am

Post by Psyche »

i'm sure some people do
just maybe not 43 people
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:58 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 74, chamber wrote:I'm not actually sure that that is true. I think the real reason is that no one want's to play a 43 player game.
That is probably the main reason, but do you mean that it is not actually true that innocents being able to identify mafia better than chance is the reason for not doing 40:3, or that innocents cannot identify mafia better than chance in practice?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:00 am

Post by Ythan »

Think the large normal queue'd accept a mountainous game of undetermined size, with scum ratio determined by a formula, and accepting as many entrants care to join?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:00 am

Post by Ythan »

Because if so I'll totally enable this train wreck to see how it works in practice.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:24 am

Post by chamber »

In post 76, AlwaysInnocent wrote:
In post 74, chamber wrote:I'm not actually sure that that is true. I think the real reason is that no one want's to play a 43 player game.
That is probably the main reason, but do you mean that it is not actually true that innocents being able to identify mafia better than chance is the reason for not doing 40:3, or that innocents cannot identify mafia better than chance in practice?

Day 1 numbers support it being true for day 1. And then power roles get in the way of any meaningful sample size. But I think the nightkill in mountainous is extremely powerful, so I'm not sure that a town can lynch better than random in mountainous games.
Taking a break from the site.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:32 am

Post by Ythan »

Nightless
mountainous still best setup.
Last edited by Ythan on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:39 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 79, chamber wrote:
In post 76, AlwaysInnocent wrote:

Day 1 numbers support it being true for day 1. And then power roles get in the way of any meaningful sample size. But I think the nightkill in mountainous is extremely powerful, so I'm not sure that a town can lynch better than random in mountainous games.
Yes, with the exception of day 1, of course. According to my own simulations, there is a difference. I cannot exclude any mistakes, but so far this seems to be an actual significant result:

Statistics:

Sample size: 1,000
P: 7
m: 2

Explanation of symbols:

u_m = average utility for mafia (i.e., winning rate)
u_i = average utility for innocents (i.e., winning rate)
R4 = the game includes nights (so not-R4 means nightless games)

Strategies:
random = self-explanatory
informed = mafia only vote for innocents
analytic = innocents use some AI algorithm to guess wolves (which simply assumes that wolves play informed rather than random)
mixed = mafia play random β of the time and play informed (1 - β) of the time

I have tried to include other strategies, but they do not really seem to diverge much from these basic strategies.

P.S. This was before I started reading about MafiaScum terminology.
:)
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:44 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

Why has this thread suddenly exploded???
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:03 am

Post by Ythan »

Is there a better possible answer than rtft?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:04 am

Post by Psyche »

almost definitely
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:57 am

Post by Ythan »

Let's see what you got.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:04 am

People are not robots who are incapable of picking up cues of personality and/or mood and much can be known to some extent of the guilt of a guilty party. That said, reading behavior does not as often get people lynched because of peoples need for tangible concrete evidence.

AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:13 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 86, LicketyQuickety wrote:People are not robots who are incapable of picking up cues of personality and/or mood and much can be known to some extent of the guilt of a guilty party. That said, reading behavior does not as often get people lynched because of peoples need for tangible concrete evidence.
True. But even without communication a lot can be said about the voting behavior! And even robots should be able to do so.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:19 am

Post by callforjudgement »

40:3 would be terrible because after like 10 day/night cycles, the Mafia would have killed off all the town players who either a) have any scumhunting skill, or b) cause any sort of activity/interest/fun in the game. The result would be that the town would be completely demoralized (by definition, they're nearly always going to lynch townies), and the scum would be on edge and not enjoying things much either (because they're hugely hurt by even a single lynch on scum, meaning that they need to get something like 10-15 mislynches in a row before they can start to feel like they're actually winning instead of coasting).

2:11 has similar problems (although not as bad as they would be in 40:3). For what it's worth, I believe the best town strategy in 2:11 is to policy lynch on day 1 (and possibly day 2) regardless of who you actually think is scum, aiming to eliminate players with a weak towngame. You probably wouldn't hit scum anyway, a mislynch that early in a theoretically balanced mountainous hardly hurts town, and you badly need to drive the townquality of the playerlist up because you know that the scum will be trying to drive it down. (Plus you have the same odds of hitting scum by chance as you would lynching anyone else.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:01 am

In post 87, AlwaysInnocent wrote:
In post 86, LicketyQuickety wrote:People are not robots who are incapable of picking up cues of personality and/or mood and much can be known to some extent of the guilt of a guilty party. That said, reading behavior does not as often get people lynched because of peoples need for tangible concrete evidence.
True. But even without communication a lot can be said about the voting behavior! And even robots should be able to do so.

I agree. My only comment is that paying attention to how people vote may not be as easy as just noticing behavior for some players. I know this is true for me. Unless the VCA is laid out in one post I usually never even bother to consciously pay attention to how people vote alone. The reason VCA works is because people are not currently thinking about manipulation info for VCA.

AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:06 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 89, LicketyQuickety wrote:

I agree. My only comment is that paying attention to how people vote may not be as easy as just noticing behavior for some players. I know this is true for me. Unless the VCA is laid out in one post I usually never even bother to consciously pay attention to how people vote alone. The reason VCA works is because people are not currently thinking about manipulation info for VCA.
Damn. People here really use a lot of abbreviations that are assumed to be common knowledge. What does VCA mean exactly? "Vote Count Aggregate"? This time I could not find it on the Wiki.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:08 am

Post by Psyche »

i'm not making the wiki article until im sure it's not a waste of time
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:12 am

In post 90, AlwaysInnocent wrote:

Damn. People here really use a lot of abbreviations that are assumed to be common knowledge. What does VCA mean exactly? "Vote Count Aggregate"? This time I could not find it on the Wiki.

VCA stands for Vote Count Analysis. Its basically a way to determine who Scum are late game.

AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:20 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 92, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 90, AlwaysInnocent wrote:

VCA stands for Vote Count Analysis. Its basically a way to determine who Scum are late game.
Ah! I was close, though.

The reason VCA works is because people are not currently thinking about manipulation info for VCA.
Also because manipulating VCA often means voting for fellow mafia, therefore making it harder to win. Sometimes it is necessary, but in my experience it is really something mafia do not like to do. According to my experiments, there is a point after which it is no longer beneficial to vote deceptively. Which makes sense because killing mafia to prevent other people from killing mafia cannot work if you do a better job of killing mafia than them.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:26 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

P.S. By voting I mean voting to
lynch
. Impotent votes are ignored.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Post by Ankamius »

The only time I managed to make VCA be strong is the one time I was specifically looking for patterns.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:04 pm

In post 95, Ankamius wrote:The only time I managed to make VCA be strong is the one time I was specifically looking for patterns.

This statement is juicy af.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:06 am

Bumpity.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”