An article with a proof on optimal mafia play.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:32 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 24, Kagami wrote:The balanced number of mafia for a mountainous game is very close to sqrt(num_players)/2

Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but are you saying the smaller the game, the more this formula of Scum:Town is not accurate?
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Post by Kagami »

The exact relationship between the number of mafia for a balanced game and the number of total players in the game has an almost linear relationship with the square root of the number of players.

For non-massive games with X players, the optimal number of mafia, M, is about

M = sqrt(X) * .4833 - .1325

for massive games (over 1000 players), the above formula is still pretty close to accurate, but there's a very slight bend in the curve.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:38 pm

31.6 is the sqrt of 1000. that looks like way too few mafia. I am not understanding you at all.

Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:23 am

Post by Kagami »

You would think it's way too few, but it's not.

Even a single scum against 1000 town has a decent shot of winning mountainous (~4%). Throw in another 1000 town and his odds aren't radically worse at 2.8%.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:07 am

Post by quadz08 »

this is because mountainous is really fucking difficult for town to win, not even including the psychological effects of playing a game of that type of dullness
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:51 pm

In post 28, Kagami wrote:You would think it's way too few, but it's not.

Even a single scum against 1000 town has a decent shot of winning mountainous (~4%). Throw in another 1000 town and his odds aren't radically worse at 2.8%.

In post 29, quadz08 wrote:this is because mountainous is really fucking difficult for town to win, not even including the psychological effects of playing a game of that type of dullness

There is something I am clearly missing then..

In a game with like 21 people you can have 5 scum.

But in a game with ~48X time that amount of people you only have like 1/6 the number of scum. I don't get it.

Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:40 am

Post by Kagami »

You can have 5 scum in a 21 person game with no PRs, but town will lose with high likelihood unless the scumteam is composed of terrible players.

We often have more scum than mountainous would have because we typically include PRs, like the detectives discussed in the paper. As it mentions in the paper, even a single Cop role causes the optimal number of scum to be linear in R, instead of linear in sqrt(R). That relies on the possibility of private communication, though.

It's still probably the case that mods put too many scum in large games, even when the town has multiple PRs.
Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:58 am

Post by Sajin »

For mafia the win condition for town becomes exponentially harder with the number of mafia. The mafia can lynch anyone, including their own faction as long as one remains, to achieve victory while using nightkills to remove problematic people from the game. Town must lynch specific people to win.

Pure random lynching for 1(M)v4(VT) gives town two lynches. One lynch has 1/5 shot of ending the game and the second has 1/3. This results in 20 percent town win+.8 (1/3) which results is a 46.7 percent town win rate. The number of VT needed in larger mafia sizes grows very quickly.

Cops are actually very hard to calculate because they will claim at different times with different amounts of innocents/guilties. They can be killed off early or never full claim and just crumb results in case they are killed. They can also be counter claimed or not believed by town or a non standard mafia variant can be played which restricts crumbing or does not reveal roles on death which alters power and thus balance. Informational roles have high variance. Cops have extremely high variance which is why other informational roles have become more popular to use in setups.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:56 am

Post by quadz08 »

In any mafia game, scum have two primary advantages: knowledge/communication, and a nightkill. Knowledge and communication are harder to quantify, and can be used against the mafia sometimes (associative tells), but it's an advantage nonetheless. Night action coordination and the ability to talk to other players about the correct decision / play / etc is extremely valuable. The nightkill is extraordinarily powerful, though - you have a near-guaranteed capability to remove any player in the game, and it is, in most cases, definitely going to advance your wincon (exceptions include killable traitors, shooting a PGO). The other methods of removing players from the game (that is, methods available to not-mafia) are much less likely to be beneficial for the town, making the scum kill a huuuuuge weapon. You put those two advantages in a mountainous game, where there is NO power to counter that from the town, and the only advantage you can possibly give town is sheer numbers - and you need a LOT of fucking numbers to counter those advantages.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

OK, for people who are confused about what the paper's saying, let me try to translate.

The first point it makes is that in a mountainous, if you approximately double the number of scum, you need to approximately quadruple the number of town in order to compensate and keep the game approximately balanced (i.e. it's a quadratic relationship). It doesn't say that scum = sqrt(players) is balanced (just that the relationship has a form looking much like that; Kagami posts a formula above). The assumptions it makes aren't that unrealistic; although it requires moves that would be illegal here on Mafiascum (to do with randomness and the like), effectively random lynching is something that towns could easily find a way to do (e.g. a method in which each day's lynch picks a lynch order for the rest of the game, and you follow the lynch order of the most recent townie to flip; it needs to be the most recent to ensure the list constantly changes, or else the scum can kill townies low down on the list to prevent town benefiting from the smaller lynch pool).

The next point it makes is that when there's even a single Cop in the game (and no other power roles), a doubling in the size of the scum only needs an approximate doubling in the size of the town to compensate and maintain balance.

They first give the following strategy for the situation: wait until a given day (depending on the size of the game) so that the Cop can compile a townblock; then the Cop tells every member of the townblock about the other members via PM (effectively forming a masonry, and something that's illegal on MS); the Cop is lynched to prove no fakeclaims; then the masonry anonymously chooses players outside the masonry to lynch until everyone else is dead (hiding its identity using anonymous votes, and everyone else abstains so as to not interfere with the masonry). This strategy requires a pretty odd and townsided collection of game mechanics (PMs that are identified from coming as a particular player + anonymous votes), and I'm not sure it would apply to a ruleset like ours. (There are also obvious improvements under that ruleset; e.g. the Cop can fullclaim each day to players that they've confirmed as via PM, meaning that you're less screwed if the Cop happens to get lynched or NKed.)

They also analyze a Mafiascum-legal version of the strategy: get the Cop to keep investigating until over half the remaining players are confirmed Town, then reveal and line up lynches for the win. This is a pretty simple proof that there is (or at least can be) a linear relationship between town and scum win rates with a Cop. It doesn't imply what the correct town/scum ratio is, though. (Also, that setup would suck to play unless it were very small, as it'd all come down to when the Cop got NKed).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Post by Ythan »

There are many confounding factors pushing the scales in both directions, when it comes to balance.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:16 pm

In post 34, callforjudgement wrote:OK, for people who are confused about what the paper's saying, let me try to translate.

The first point it makes is that in a mountainous, if you approximately double the number of scum, you need to approximately quadruple the number of town in order to compensate and keep the game approximately balanced (i.e. it's a quadratic relationship). It doesn't say that scum = sqrt(players) is balanced (just that the relationship has a form looking much like that; Kagami posts a formula above). The assumptions it makes aren't that unrealistic; although it requires moves that would be illegal here on Mafiascum (to do with randomness and the like), effectively random lynching is something that towns could easily find a way to do (e.g. a method in which each day's lynch picks a lynch order for the rest of the game, and you follow the lynch order of the most recent townie to flip; it needs to be the most recent to ensure the list constantly changes, or else the scum can kill townies low down on the list to prevent town benefiting from the smaller lynch pool).

The next point it makes is that when there's even a single Cop in the game (and no other power roles), a doubling in the size of the scum only needs an approximate doubling in the size of the town to compensate and maintain balance.

They first give the following strategy for the situation: wait until a given day (depending on the size of the game) so that the Cop can compile a townblock; then the Cop tells every member of the townblock about the other members via PM (effectively forming a masonry, and something that's illegal on MS); the Cop is lynched to prove no fakeclaims; then the masonry anonymously chooses players outside the masonry to lynch until everyone else is dead (hiding its identity using anonymous votes, and everyone else abstains so as to not interfere with the masonry). This strategy requires a pretty odd and townsided collection of game mechanics (PMs that are identified from coming as a particular player + anonymous votes), and I'm not sure it would apply to a ruleset like ours. (There are also obvious improvements under that ruleset; e.g. the Cop can fullclaim each day to players that they've confirmed as via PM, meaning that you're less screwed if the Cop happens to get lynched or NKed.)

They also analyze a Mafiascum-legal version of the strategy: get the Cop to keep investigating until over half the remaining players are confirmed Town, then reveal and line up lynches for the win. This is a pretty simple proof that there is (or at least can be) a linear relationship between town and scum win rates with a Cop. It doesn't imply what the correct town/scum ratio is, though. (Also, that setup would suck to play unless it were very small, as it'd all come down to when the Cop got NKed).

Nice semi-necro!

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I've been V/LA for ages. Was my first time reading the thread (and it's still on the front page), because I've mostly been living off egosearch recently rather than looking at MD directly.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:44 pm

In post 37, callforjudgement wrote:I've been V/LA for ages. Was my first time reading the thread (and it's still on the front page), because I've mostly been living off egosearch recently rather than looking at MD directly.

You're weird... but cool.

Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:07 am

Post by Rob14 »

Is this actually a good journal or minor journal? I'm not familiar with the reputations of math journals.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:15 am

In post 39, Rob14 wrote:Is this actually a good journal or minor journal? I'm not familiar with the reputations of math journals.

I have no idea \o/

Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Post by Majiffy »

Did anyone analyze how much it hurts town when you add a vig yet?

Best anti-utility role ever. All town vigs are dumb vigs.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:26 pm

In post 41, Majiffy wrote:Did anyone analyze how much it hurts town when you add a vig yet?

Best anti-utility role ever. All town vigs are dumb vigs.

Maybe it should be an extra vote count.

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:27 pm

Post by Ythan »

An extra lynch?
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 pm

In post 43, Ythan wrote:An extra lynch?

Not exactly. You see it would be kinda like having a president. Everyone votes on who to use the Vig on, but ultimately its up the the Vig president.

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Post by Ythan »

I always see people pitch in their two cents on who should get vigged when they think they smell one.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:34 pm

In post 45, Ythan wrote:I always see people pitch in their two cents on who should get vigged when they think they smell one.

Bombs away.

Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 44, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 43, Ythan wrote:An extra lynch?

Not exactly. You see it would be kinda like having a president. Everyone votes on who to use the Vig on, but ultimately its up the the Vig president.

A vig governor.

Interesting.

Obviously the vote would have to be secret, or else it would out the vig.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:47 pm

Post by Ythan »

I don't think he means it as a literal role, but as a way to handle vig decisions, though I'm not certain.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Obviously, we are not going to kill people irl...

Return to “Mafia Discussion”