What does it mean to be normal?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

What is nomal?

Myko is right.
13%
Chamber is right.
61%
Chamber is right but some of his principles are wrong or some are missing (elaborate in thread).
26%

Total votes: 23

chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:19 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 21, Firebringer wrote:3 months is arbitrary,

You could probably reduce it to average mini normal run time or some such.
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Post by chamber »

Which appears to be about a month. Could bump it to 6 weeks for review time as well, and it's still halving it.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Running my own numbers on my finished 5 games the average Normal game is 44 days.
About a month and a half.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Post by N »

I don't think the problem is time in review; that has been pretty constant (except for a few outliers). The problem is that there aren't enough active NRG members, so mods are waiting longer to actually start their reviews. There is a higher player demand then there used to be, so games are filling quicker.

Spoiler:
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Post by ika »

In post 28, N wrote:I don't think the problem is time in review; that has been pretty constant (except for a few outliers). The problem is that there aren't enough active NRG members, so mods are waiting longer to actually start their reviews. There is a higher player demand then there used to be, so games are filling quicker.

Spoiler:

Well then how come we arent trying to reach out and get new people? Not to sound jerk about it but last time it was "hey come join NGR" was a while ago and now I dont partially see any reach outs to try to get new people right now?
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Post by N »

it was last month
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Post by zoraster »

I'll just say that while the review process IS an impediment, it's often the mod themselves who hold up the process. They'll get comments and then not come back in a timely manner.

The question to me is whether we're not getting enough new mods because of the wait period (in which case our retention isn't as good as it used to be) or because they don't feel compelled to run a game, which is what I actually think is going on. That latter reason is not going to be solved by a lower time period.

I've mentioned this in a few places before, but I think the balkanization of our queues has not served us especially well. It has given us variety of games, which is good in a vacuum, but at the expense of providing a steady stream of games and leading to feeling like a "deader" site than we actually are.

I suspect come the new year after we figure out whether the Blitz queue has a place permanently there will be a reorganization of the queues. I wouldn't waste a ton of time discussing that here as I promise I'll ask for user input before doing anything like that, but start to mull it over in your head. I don't want to get too involved about it before we figure out whether these shorter deadline games need to be found a place too.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:43 pm

Post by chamber »

This is a complete tangent at this point, but I've been suspecting you may have unintentionally sabotaged your data by announcing the blitz queue as a trial run. I know I've been strongly considering joining one just ot get one in before the period ends. If others have had similar thoughts it will be hard to draw conclusions from the data we get.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Post by zoraster »

It's certainly possible, but I don't think it would be worth it to pretend it was otherwise as people would get angry if I announced 6 weeks later that it was done.

Anyway, many of the things we're testing aren't likely to be contaminated by that.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Post by Davsto »

A likely reason as to why the other modding queues are so empty is that it is required to mod a mini normal/open before anything else. The former has a long review process which can seem boring, while the latter has an enormous modding queue. This could very much put some people off modding, or at least hugely increase the time in which a user can start modding micro/theme/large games.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:00 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Is there a scenario where a normal would be allowed to have only one VT? Cause if not you should sharpen that rule imo

Wrong thread but I thought I'd mention it.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

The rule currently states that the game must have at least one Vanilla Townie. I assume it being role madness is something that might get announced when it enters signups.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 35, BBmolla wrote:Is there a scenario where a normal would be allowed to have only one VT? Cause if not you should sharpen that rule imo

Normal in a purely by-the-letter sense, but unlikely to pass the reviewers' eye test.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 37, quadz08 wrote:
In post 35, BBmolla wrote:Is there a scenario where a normal would be allowed to have only one VT? Cause if not you should sharpen that rule imo

Normal in a purely by-the-letter sense, but unlikely to pass the reviewers' eye test.

That's absurd in my opinion. What is the point in having guidelines that won't get a setup passed?
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Post by quadz08 »

Normalcy will always be subjective. We had a discussion specifically about the required number of VTs and decided to leave it at one - to get the point across that ALL PRs won't be allowed, but also allow for wiggle room / meta fluctuations / etc. It's conceivable that someone could present a setup with 8 normal PRs and a VT and we'd pass it - it's just unlikely.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Post by Hinduragi »

Might want to mention that somewhere visible for future mods. It seems like a long and tedious process as is and I can see newer mods wanting to try out a PR heavy game when they start out. This may not be necessary by virtue of what percentage you guys have already seen with this rule but can't hurt nonetheless.

As for what I think of as normal---
zoraster wrote:I'm much more in agreement with you (whether I'd use those particular criteria or not) that the NRG should be shaping normal games to provide a consistent, predictable (in a broad sense of the word) experience rather than just a collection of "common roles" as that's super circular.

I couldn't have said it better. While some of the current guidelines drive normals away from the unpredictable, I don't think it should be based just on the roles. I think the real underlying question is: what guidelines can you really set to define normals? Of chamber's criteria, "taking any one action shouldn't be too punishing" and "the emphasis should be on the day play" seems a bit ambiguous and leaves a lot of room for misinterpretation.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:41 am

Post by zoraster »

Well, I'm actually in favor of a fairly expansive white list of roles because that's the way normal guidelines are applied in a practical sense (along with a few other rules). The question is how those roles are determined (and that's where the "what is normal is normal" vs. the "what is normal is what we decide normal is" camps fight). We don't want to get into an interpretive argument every time someone comes in with a setup. Clarity is a good thing for players and mods.

Those in the NRG are probably aware of my distaste for the so-called "greylist" for precisely this reason.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:08 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 34, Davsto wrote:A likely reason as to why the other modding queues are so empty is that it is required to mod a mini normal/open before anything else. The former has a long review process which can seem boring, while the latter has an enormous modding queue. This could very much put some people off modding, or at least hugely increase the time in which a user can start modding micro/theme/large games.

I think the long review times correlate more to heavy pressure to review for balance as well. It's actually really easy to make sure a game fits the normal guidelines. It's a balance review that can take a small eternity.

In post 39, quadz08 wrote:Normalcy will always be subjective. We had a discussion specifically about the required number of VTs and decided to leave it at one - to get the point across that ALL PRs won't be allowed, but also allow for wiggle room / meta fluctuations / etc. It's conceivable that someone could present a setup with 8 normal PRs and a VT and we'd pass it - it's just unlikely.

That setup should pass as normal. The guidelines only require one VT. If you're subjectively debating the definition of normal, then that's a clear problem in the review process. The process should be a clear cut yes/no on whether a game fits the site guidelines for a normal game, and the things that cause the answer to be no should be very clear and quick issues to address.

I'm also assuming that balance reviews are still not required, but that may have changed because I'm not actively paying attention to site policy any longer.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:44 am

Post by chamber »

In post 41, zoraster wrote:Well, I'm actually in favor of a fairly expansive white list of roles because that's the way normal guidelines are applied in a practical sense (along with a few other rules). The question is how those roles are determined (and that's where the "what is normal is normal" vs. the "what is normal is what we decide normal is" camps fight). We don't want to get into an interpretive argument every time someone comes in with a setup. Clarity is a good thing for players and mods.

Those in the NRG are probably aware of my distaste for the so-called "greylist" for precisely this reason.

The way I see it, the greylist should be to allow innovation in normals. If a role is known it should probably be sorted one way or the other already. And that's not how it's used atm.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:57 am

Post by N »

In post 42, Zachrulez wrote:That setup should pass as normal. The guidelines only require one VT. If you're subjectively debating the definition of normal, then that's a clear problem in the review process. The process should be a clear cut yes/no on whether a game fits the site guidelines for a normal game, and the things that cause the answer to be no should be very clear and quick issues to address.

They are guidelines, not rules. Of course things are going to be subjective, and there is nothing wrong with that.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by BROseidon »

I think that Chamber's philosophy is the better one because it means that bad design trends don't get pushed into normalcy (not that that hasn't already happened - the fact that miller/godfather/ninja are still normal is absolutely terrible).
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:34 pm

Post by Iecerint »

You should clarify the OP to differentiate between what we think it SHOULD mean and what we think it DOES mean.

Myko is definitely right in practice, grounds being that normal now is not the same as normal in 2009.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 44, N wrote:
In post 42, Zachrulez wrote:That setup should pass as normal. The guidelines only require one VT. If you're subjectively debating the definition of normal, then that's a clear problem in the review process. The process should be a clear cut yes/no on whether a game fits the site guidelines for a normal game, and the things that cause the answer to be no should be very clear and quick issues to address.

They are guidelines, not rules. Of course things are going to be subjective, and there is nothing wrong with that.

"This page describes what is considered to be "Normal" on mafiascum.net. These guidelines are intended to enforce common expectations of games, such that all games called "Normal" are reasonably balanced and not deviant from what one would reasonably expect in a standard game of Mafia.
If you are moderating on mafiascum.net in the Newbie, Open, or Normal queues, your game must follow the appropriate guidelines below."

Unless we don't feel like following it. :-|
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Post by BBmolla »

I agree with Zach.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:58 pm

Post by talah »

In post 0, chamber wrote:Nothing is too unpredictable.

Sorry for reading the first post and nothing else yet, but I think the above is the essence of "Normal".

You can expect a curveball or two but if it's something completely unexpected then it may be unfair.
However,
If we can always expect something unexpected in a Normal then where does the delineation lie between Open and Normal?
Or Normal and Theme?

Are Normals more suited to having exactly *nothing* unpredictable then?

(egh now I'll read, sorry :P )

Return to “Mafia Discussion”