Micro Modding requirements

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Micro Modding requirements

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Post by BNL »

Why is it that if you want to mod a Micro, especially if it is Normal or Open, you need to have modded a Mini Normal or Open first? Makes no sense to me.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 am

Post by IceGuy »

I don't know whether this was the reason, but in the thread the Micro Queue was discussed that eventually led to its introduction, it was considered that allowing new mods to join the queue would lead to a low quality of games.

However, with the current situation in the Micro Queue, I suggest lifting that requirement, as well as making two Micro games equivalent to one other game for all moderation requirement purposes. However, first-time moderators should be required to have their game reviewed.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:57 am

Post by fferyllt »

current situation in the micro queue?
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:02 am

Post by Plotinus »

the queue is usually almost empty. but that's true of the mini normal, large normal, and mini theme queues as well.

I think it's good to have to mod a mini normal or something first. I learned quite a bit by going through the review process. and modding a normal or open game is a lot easier than modding something with more complicated mechanics as is allowed in the micro and theme queues.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:26 am

Post by fferyllt »

I think the blitz queue is affecting all the other queues right now, but the queues have been kinda slow for the last month or so.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
IceGuy
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
IceGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:36 am

Post by IceGuy »

In post 3, Plotinus wrote:
I think it's good to have to mod a mini normal or something first. I learned quite a bit by going through the review process. and modding a normal or open game is a lot easier than modding something with more complicated mechanics as is allowed in the micro and theme queues.

As a first-time mod, you can mod a 13-player Open or Normal game, but you can't mod a 9-player Open or Normal game.

In post 4, fferyllt wrote:I think the blitz queue is affecting all the other queues right now, but the queues have been kinda slow for the last month or so.

Changes in modding requirements do not have to be permanent.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:20 am

Post by quadz08 »

The reasons for this are as follows:

1) Designing a 9p or smaller setup is much more difficult than designing a larger setup. Balance in small setups is exceptionally tricky, especially when multiple PRs (and thus, swing, which is worse in small games than large ones) are involved.
2) Moderating a Micro game does not take an equivalent time commitment as most minis or larges. This makes it ill-suited for the purposes of the first-time moderator, who are doing an average-length game to ensure that they are capable of maintaining effective moderation through the duration of the game.

The moderator requiremets have been discussed multiple times before and after the inception of the Micro Queue, and they are unlikely to change, and they almost certainly won't change during the Blitz Queue Trial period. It's important that we get consistent data out of that trial.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:43 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 6, quadz08 wrote:The reasons for this are as follows:

1) Designing a 9p or smaller setup is much more difficult than designing a larger setup. Balance in small setups is exceptionally tricky, especially when multiple PRs (and thus, swing, which is worse in small games than large ones) are involved.

As someone who has run 9 and 7p setups I've found the opposite to be true. It's actually quite easy. There are fewer PRs to put in play and their effect on a smaller setup is less complex than having more PRs would be in a larger game. (Less to account for vs more.)

In post 6, quadz08 wrote:2) Moderating a Micro game does not take an equivalent time commitment as most minis or larges. This makes it ill-suited for the purposes of the first-time moderator, who are doing an average-length game to ensure that they are capable of maintaining effective moderation through the duration of the game.

This should really be a non argument. You can run a micro in the normal queue and it would be counted toward moderator experience, so this point is some serious lols. I don't really buy the idea that a flaky moderator will run multiple smaller games to completion just to be able to mod a larger game and then flake in THAT particular game. They will just be likely to flake period.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:55 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

The overall page count doors increase a lot as you go up in size
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:06 am

Post by BNL »

In post 6, quadz08 wrote:The reasons for this are as follows:

2) Moderating a Micro game does not take an equivalent time commitment as most minis or larges. This makes it ill-suited for the purposes of the first-time moderator, who are doing an average-length game to ensure that they are capable of maintaining effective moderation through the duration of the game.

1 is a very good point, 9p games are really hard to balance. I also have trouble trying creating one, especially if it is not off the wiki. However, it does not address Micro Opens.

2 I'm not actually sure is a concern. From my perspective, modding Micro games can be used as a "stepping stone" to modding Mini games.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:33 am

Post by Ether »

A part of me is worried that it'd get the queue all congested, but....letting new mods run micro opens and get the standard 1/3rd of a game of experience does make sense to me.

At least for certain games. Like, any setup with Papa Zito's name in the title shouldn't count for any experience. In fact, just to be on the safe side, it should probably be negative experience. Sorry, FakeGod.

(Actually I recently argued with LlamaFluff that that 1/3rd experience should probably only go for games of eight players and below, just because no one wants to join open queue games anymore and they all take like 3-6 weeks to fill, and maybe having 9 player games again would do the queue some good. But it'd be inconsistent and just having new mods in the Micro queue running those games probably makes more sense.)
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:41 am

Post by FakeGod »

Ether, you're blacklisted.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”