Lets discuss this weird idea I have.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:39 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

I think Busy or Popular could work as a name for that modifier.
To be clear: quack
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Post by BROseidon »

The problem is that there just shouldn't be a cop in the game because cop is a role you should never use.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 26, BROseidon wrote:The problem is that there just shouldn't be a cop in the game because cop is a role you should never use.

If you're going to make a claim like that you're going to have to explain some things. I think I get it though, at least part of it. Why should Town have a utility that mafia is born with... or something like that.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Post by Ythan »

Probably just that they make the game less fun.
The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Post by The Bulge »

I don't think I've ever put a Cop in one of my setups. There are just so many more interesting investigatives you could use instead. Cops have so little potential for interaction with other roles.

I think I
may
have a Tracker/Fruit Vendor combo in almost every game I've designed this past year?
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 13, Cheery Dog wrote:
In post 11, Dwlee99 wrote:I never understood why as far as I know on this site there is no modifier that makes a doctor unable to target the same person two nights in a row.

because nobody has given that modifier a fancy name. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere in additional notes to a role though.

Subject: FF7 Mafia (Game Over)

borkjerfkin wrote:
15. Radja was
Tseng,
Aligned with
The Planet [Town Non-Consecutive-Target Doctor],
lynched Day 7.

it's been done before ~
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:58 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 28, Ythan wrote:Probably just that they make the game less fun.

Cops are a low-skill cap super binary role. There is no counterplay to getting investigated, and picking the wrong target as a cop is still an exceptionally good result.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:19 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 31, BROseidon wrote:
In post 28, Ythan wrote:Probably just that they make the game less fun.

Cops are a low-skill cap super binary role
There is no counterplay to getting investigated, and
picking the wrong target as a cop is still an exceptionally good result

I agree with BROseidon king of the BROcean. Getting a lot of innocents is often better than getting 1 guilty

When I renamed unconfirmed masons as neighbors, they started showing up in greater numbers everywhere. I am not sure I'n proud of that anymore.

Seeing this doctor show up everywhere is something I would be proud of though since normal doc is another fairly simple role
Last edited by PokerFace on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:24 am

Post by chamber »

Cops have plenty of counterplay options, and more importantly, we play with a highly scumsided base setup so the town PRs need limited counterplay.

The mafia have the nightkill. It's an extremely strong tool. The mafia should be forced to do more with it than just kill the most competent town player.
When cops saw heavy use there was a whole culture of rules built around them, millers, insane cops, paranoid cops, which made defending a guilty verdict possible in some situations.
Cops should ideally be targeting people they have trouble reading, to maximize the information gain, so if you were well town read in game you can minimize the chance you are investigated.
You can play so that if you are discovered by a role your play doesn't automatically indicate things about the rest of the town.
Taking a break from the site.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:47 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 33, chamber wrote:When cops saw heavy use there was a whole culture of rules built around them, millers, insane cops, paranoid cops, which made defending a guilty verdict possible in some situations.

These are all really, really shitty ways to gate cop power.

Like, the fact that godfather is a normal role is an absolute design travesty, because it doesn't actually change substantially how you should respond to an innocent, it just randomly fucks you over x% of the time. Millers at least don't cause an auto-loss if investigated (and they can claim).

Cop sanity is terrible for pretty obvious reasons (non-opaque mechanics are bad). If you are explicitly told that sanity is not guaranteed, that's fine.

The fact that we use a highly scumsided base setup doesnt mean we should compensate for that with shitty design. There are plenty, PLENTY of town roles that have far more counterplay and can help balance the scales (fuck, watcher isn't that much weaker than cop but is a 10x better role from a design perspective). Masons and x-shot mason recruiters are horribly, horribly underused on ms (mason is, imo, the best PR in the game from a design perspective). There are even unexplored PRs that are super interesting (What Quadz calls a cheese grater and what I call a misdirector hasn't been explored at all, for instance). There are plenty, PLENTY of ways to avoid using a cop that are all more interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Also x-shot exists.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:24 am

Post by chamber »

In post 34, BROseidon wrote:If you are explicitly told that sanity is not guaranteed, that's fine.

There wasn't an assumption of sanity in 2005.

(I also think watcher is perhaps the worst designed role that still sees any use)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:28 am

Post by BROseidon »

Cop is far, far worse than watcher.

And assumption vs. explicitly told are two very different things. Assumptions being necessary for good game design is bad.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:54 am

Post by chamber »

Watcher has the exact same issue that godfathers and framers have. It punishes making the optimal play, and is hidden from the one making the play choice.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:02 am

Post by BROseidon »

That's fair, but there are sometimes ways you can actually play around a watcher (i.e., two people go to a target)
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:50 am

Post by ika »

In post 38, BROseidon wrote:That's fair, but there are sometimes ways you can actually play around a watcher (i.e., two people go to a target)

And the times that happens is like near never
Sajin
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Sajin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:16 pm

Post by Sajin »

In post 39, ika wrote:
In post 38, BROseidon wrote:That's fair, but there are sometimes ways you can actually play around a watcher (i.e., two people go to a target)

And the times that happens is like near never

It happens in complex theme games. I still remember being mafia where the majority of roles in the game could detect and effectively "watch" ALL actions at night (it detected their locations from and to not the direct person so there was some obfuscation available).

@Chamber: Watcher as a mechanic is powerful and it does distort optimal play. In a well designed setup it complements play made by both sides (such as in hunterxhunter mafia where the mafia were told about the existence of a tracker/watcher combo and that role was told the mafia knew about him and vice versa).

You are right there is a ton of roles that exist purely to counter a particular play pattern: (Investigation immune, miller, framer, ascetic, watcher/tracker. unlynchable, daykill, supersaint and more). However, suspecting it and playing around it then become the challenge. If there is a multitude of these roles in the game it creates interesting dynamics. A Scum re-director that gets caught by a watcher is interesting play. This is no more or less powerful than if the redirector makes a watcher think he saw something that did not occur.

So to get back to the original topic, cop+doctor is fine.....if the scum have appropriate countermeasures. A framer, a roleblocker, a daykill, a strongman, a redirector...all of these roles can break the combo. It does create a game that is more nightplay focused usually, but that was probably going to be the case already with a cop and doctor. You can't say whether a setup is balanced by only looking at two roles.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Post by ika »

In post 40, Sajin wrote:It happens in complex theme games.

i was refering about a basic game. I mean if your having rolemadness where everybody (or even a majority) has a targeting power, then i would agure otherwise but in standard practice and where i belive bro is taking his stance. Its not really a thing.

I mean outside of that argumentative perspective, any pr is only as powerful as user. So i mean you can have a cop in there but if they act stupid scummy and get lycnhed day 1, its moot point.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:31 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 41, ika wrote:i was refering about a basic game. I mean if your having rolemadness where everybody (or even a majority) has a targeting power, then i would agure otherwise but in standard practice and where i belive bro is taking his stance. Its not really a thing.

I wouldn't use a watcher in a game smaller than 15 people, unless it's severely gated (1-shot, delayed, etc). It concentrates power too much for a 13p game. Even in 15p I'd be hesitant to use one.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:33 am

Post by BROseidon »

I'm a huge believer in distributing power to reduce swing.
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:51 am

Post by Felissan »

The card version of Werewolf actually uses a non-consecutive-target version of the Doc that can choose to target itself. I don't think I've ever seen a single Follow the Cop in the few dozens games I've played.
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022

Return to “Mafia Discussion”