The Big Bang Effect

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
St Constantine the Hermit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

The Big Bang Effect

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:34 am

Post by St Constantine the Hermit »

Big Bang Effect

When people are so eager to prove that their position is correct, that they legitimize a theory that brings up more questions than it answers. Like the Big Bang Theory, something that is in many people's opinions, built on more assumption than evidence.

What I am talking about here, is when you have a game where some townie creates a crazy theory that continues to justify their scumread, and other townies that shared the scumread are unwilling to look beyond the fact that this new theory creates more questions than it answers, and provides more assumptions than it does evidence.

Like I said, the Big Bang Effect happens out of stubbornness. Everytime I have been in a town which is keen on doing this, the theory ended up being wrong. Everytime I have done this myself, the theory ended up being wrong.

Solution:
Stop making elaborate theories to justify your scumreads!
Show
Aye, let old constantine spin ye a tale...

Book of Constantine (Protestant) 214: 112 - God hates you
Book of Constantine (Catholic) 214:112 - God doesn't like you
Book of Constantine (Orthodox) 214:112 - God tolerates you
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:00 pm

Post by Ythan »

Is this whole thing just a means to casually float pseudoscience?
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:15 pm

In post 1, Ythan wrote:Is this whole thing just a means to casually float pseudoscience?

No, but relying on empirical evidence is much better than relying on assumption in all cases of life. Mafia too, where empirical evidence is stuff you can actually see in the thread; using this as opposed to some crazy theory built on a thousand assumptions.

It is something that town does that is seriously annoying, because they are acting so incredibly stubborn that you cannot possibly appeal to them to look for a more common sense solution, or to at least stop overthinking everything. I used to do it more than anyone, but I learned from my mistakes.
Show

Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:22 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

Are you real.
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:29 pm

In post 3, Cheetory6 wrote:Are you real.

Let's not get too philosophical about this. If I were to go into that territory, I would say yes, because...

1) I think I am real
2) I can observe myself

That is going to into it though. I am just not liking how much town will overthink things, or will be so incredibly stubborn that they will create an elaborate theory for why they are still correct.
Show

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Post by Ythan »

It's unclear that what you observe is yourself, but it is certain that an observation is occurring.
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 pm

*Sigh*

This thread got derailed fast. If you want to promote Epicureanism, go do that in the general discussion subforum.
Show

Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

If you didn't want it to get derailed, maybe you shouldn't have started it off with calling the Big Bang Theory idle speculation.
Lol.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Post by Ythan »

I mean it seems like you're just trying to implant lingo into the site's vocabulary.

Is there something else to discuss?

Extry extry moon logic is antitown?
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Post by Taly »

*On Topic*

This is why town should never be very confident. (Which, I can't really talk at times, tbh) But I always tell myself this and try to keep myself open to possibilities in a game rather than go straight first on what I think is definite - when there aren't guarantees.
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:27 pm

Post by Ankamius »

Taly wrote:
*On Topic*

This is why town should never be very confident. (Which, I can't really talk at times, tbh) But I always tell myself this and try to keep myself open to possibilities in a game rather than go straight first on what I think is definite - when there aren't guarantees.
Confidence is imperative if you are a VT, since your death doesn't hurt the town's chances of winning setup-wise. If you aren't confident, feign it. It's not just for pushing read strength, either. If you can show through your posts that you are confident in your ability to solve the game, you will suddenly find that you never live past night three unless you get apathetic and wait until LyLo to start getting serious and then end up not doing so anyway.

This isn't based on experience. :shifty:
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Post by Wisdom »

Town should always be confident, even if they are pushing moonlogic. It's better than them being apathetic sheep. It still makes things happen and elicits reactions. And it's the job of the rest of the town to help the moon walkers see where they're wrong.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

i agree that people should stop having theories in mafia games

nobody should be lynched ever unless there is cold, hard evidence that they're scum (like via them posting their role PM)
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:43 pm

Post by Ythan »

Scum role PMs can be faked.
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:44 pm

In post 9, Taly wrote:
*On Topic*

In post 10, Ankamius wrote:
Taly wrote:
*On Topic*

Confidence is imperative if you are a VT, since your death doesn't hurt the town's chances of winning setup-wise. If you aren't confident, feign it. It's not just for pushing read strength, either. If you can show through your posts that you are confident in your ability to solve the game, you will suddenly find that you never live past night three unless you get apathetic and wait until LyLo to start getting serious and then end up not doing so anyway.

This isn't based on experience. :shifty:

In post 11, Wisdom wrote:Town should always be confident, even if they are pushing moonlogic. It's better than them being apathetic sheep. It still makes things happen and elicits reactions. And it's the job of the rest of the town to help the moon walkers see where they're wrong.

There is a fine line between being confident and being stubborn. You are absolutely useless when you push people on the off chance that scum made some elaborate plot to fool the whole town.
Show

Gorkington
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Post by Gorkington »

In post 13, Ythan wrote:Scum role PMs can be faked.

10/10.
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:51 pm

In post 12, zMuffinMan wrote:i agree that people should stop having theories in mafia games

nobody should be lynched ever unless there is cold, hard evidence that they're scum (like via them posting their role PM)

You need to gauge how many assumptions are being made. A reasonable argument in mafia is "*insert person* did *insert tell* which makes me think they are scum."

Here is an example of what I am talking about...

"Okay, so *insert person* was CC'd by *insert person*. That doesn't mean they necessarily aren't both mafia like I originally thought. My theory is that the counterclaiming was actually planned by both of them in order to make town worrisome about lynching either person, but it backfired."
Show

Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:51 pm

^ Not a real example btw
Show

Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Post by Antihero »

what are you talking about that's not covered by "confirmation bias"?
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Post by ika »

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model for the Universe from the earliest known periods through its subsequent large-scale evolution. The model accounts for the fact that the Universe expanded from a very high density and high temperature state, and offers a comprehensive explanation for a broad range of phenomena, including the abundance of light elements, the cosmic microwave background, large scale structure and Hubble's Law. If the known laws of physics are extrapolated beyond where they are valid, there is a singularity. Modern measurements place this moment at approximately 13.8 billion years ago, which is thus considered the age of the Universe. After the initial expansion, the Universe cooled sufficiently to allow the formation of subatomic particles, and later simple atoms. Giant clouds of these primordial elements later coalesced through gravity to form stars and galaxies.

Your welcome
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Post by Taly »

Eh... Let me rephrase myself

Confidence is a helpful thing for the town; but I've yet to see moonlogic, tunneling, or non-open confidence (stubbornness) help town. Moreover - in my experience, scum tend to do this. - However - in very specific circumstances, I can see tunneling help - and moonlogic actually being right, but I just can't get behind it unless I have a very similar gut read which I don't always go off of.

Granted, I do tend to portray confidence quite a bit as town, but I don't take my reads as definitive unless there's an overwhelming amount of information and evidence to suggest that someone is scum.

And honestly - someone pushing moonlogic and someone being apathetic are almost effectively the same thing. If I can't understand or back up whatever your hardpush on someone is or means, then you're likely just as detrimental to town as someone who doesn't care too much about pushes or reads in the first place - since moonlogic isn't based off definitive ideas and/or facts.

But that's just how I approach this game - and thus far, it has helped me decipher stuff on whos town and whos scum in a few situations.
Last edited by Taly on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:22 pm

Post by Ythan »

Those things can't help town. They make it less likely for town to win. Even if town still wins, and even if it's through moon logic, that is just good luck.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:25 pm

Post by Taly »

^^Basically what I meant in less words. ;P
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 16, St Constantine the Hermit wrote:"Okay, so *insert person* was CC'd by *insert person*. That doesn't mean they necessarily aren't both mafia like I originally thought. My theory is that the counterclaiming was actually planned by both of them in order to make town worrisome about lynching either person, but it backfired."

i don't think there's anything wrong with putting ideas like this out there, i would simply ask "why is that more likely than alternatives?" and put very little or a lot of consideration into it depending on how likely i think it is

you said these theories are the sort of thing you've never seen happen in a game? you either (a) haven't played enough, (b) haven't played against any competent scum players or (c) have given scum free wins because you don't consider the possibility that the big bang might just have happened...
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:35 pm

In post 23, zMuffinMan wrote:
you said these theories are the sort of thing you've never seen happen in a game? you either (a) haven't played enough, (b) haven't played against any competent scum players or (c) have given scum free wins because you don't consider the possibility that the big bang might just have happened...

No, I didn't say that. They do sometimes happen, but 95% of the time people are just overthinking things. I can't begin to tell you how many mislynches I was apart of because I could not get this concept through my head.
Show

Return to “Mafia Discussion”