stop fakeclaiming as town!: the case for lynch all liars

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:14 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 173, Guillotina wrote:
In post 157, Ramcius wrote:
In post 155, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 154, Ramcius wrote:How to find scum, if I can't trust anything other players say without any hard proof?
Look beyond whether or not they're lying, and ask why they did what they did. Is it to further a pro-town agenda, or does it further a pro-scum agenda?
Know an easy way to determine when it's pro-town and when it's pro-scum? Because people use "town has no reason to lie" approach for a reason - determining motivation is hard, especially when dealing with edgelords who think they are smartest cookie in the room and try to lie just because they can
Town can lie.
Scum HAVE to lie.

Town's collective job is to find out the motive of the lie to determine if such could come from town or mafia.

Scum's collective job is to lie to appear town and get town misyeeted.

In law enforcement cops lie to get truths from suspects out. Parents lie to catch their misbehaving children in their lies. Wives lie to trap and catch their cheating husbands (and viceversa) and there are many scenarios from real life.
The same applies in a game of deduction like this one.

If you think that liars should get killed then i will tell you this, my best scum games were when i truth wolf. (The act of always telling the truth as scum). The best way to “lie” in a game of lies is by not lying.
I simply love how people intentionally misinterpret things just to say something obvious to look smarter.

You know, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you have to do it.

Who says that you must lie as a scum? You don't, but a lot of them do, so yeeting liars is an easy way to deal with scum who likes to lie. It's an easy to understand and use scumhunting technique that was used for decades, but if you think that this method is bad or outdated, we'll gladly listen to you better and more optimal scumhunting techniques

Bonus points to you for pretending to understand how logic works.
Tact is for liars and politicians.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:29 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

you failed to counter how those real-world scenarios apply to the game
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 176, Gamma Emerald wrote:you failed to counter how those real-world scenarios apply to the game
I don't have to, cause these real life scenarios have vastly different circumstances than mafia - law enforcement and parents are in the seat of authority, so only IC making some gambit can be compared to it. Also, it is used to get confession, when you already know that other side is guilty, which isn't easy applicable to mafia
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:41 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 175, Ramcius wrote:
In post 173, Guillotina wrote:
In post 157, Ramcius wrote:
In post 155, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 154, Ramcius wrote:How to find scum, if I can't trust anything other players say without any hard proof?
Look beyond whether or not they're lying, and ask why they did what they did. Is it to further a pro-town agenda, or does it further a pro-scum agenda?
Know an easy way to determine when it's pro-town and when it's pro-scum? Because people use "town has no reason to lie" approach for a reason - determining motivation is hard, especially when dealing with edgelords who think they are smartest cookie in the room and try to lie just because they can
Town can lie.
Scum HAVE to lie.

Town's collective job is to find out the motive of the lie to determine if such could come from town or mafia.

Scum's collective job is to lie to appear town and get town misyeeted.

In law enforcement cops lie to get truths from suspects out. Parents lie to catch their misbehaving children in their lies. Wives lie to trap and catch their cheating husbands (and viceversa) and there are many scenarios from real life.
The same applies in a game of deduction like this one.

If you think that liars should get killed then i will tell you this, my best scum games were when i truth wolf. (The act of always telling the truth as scum). The best way to “lie” in a game of lies is by not lying.
I simply love how people intentionally misinterpret things just to say something obvious to look smarter.

You know, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you have to do it.

Who says that you must lie as a scum?
You don't, but a lot of them do, so yeeting liars is an easy way to deal with scum who likes to lie. It's an easy to understand and use scumhunting technique that was used for decades, but if you think that this method is bad or outdated, we'll gladly listen to you better and more optimal scumhunting techniques

Bonus points to you for pretending to understand how logic works.
There is no need for your condescending tone here, we are not playing mafia, you need not to publish scummy posts.

By being scum and having to show town why you are one of them, you are already lying.

So yes, you have to lie as scum by principle and you have to tell the truth as town by principle in a perfect world. Luckily (or unluckily, depending on the perspective) the world is not perfect and there are people with different personalities, behavior traits, culture. biases etc

There are town players who lie to get to the truth and backfire on them, there are those who lie to get truths out and work!
There are town who are always truthful and get death tunneled for it because they are obvtown too.

You can't be 100% truthful as town in a game of lies specially in games with Power Roles because you have to fool Mafia into believing that you are not the cop or the doctor.
I've seen town players lying in the game to pocket wolves and backstab them at EoD.

If you yeet a town for lying without looking beyond the purpose of a lie, you are as much anti-town as those that lie without purpose while being town.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:00 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 178, Guillotina wrote: There is no need for your condescending tone here, we are not playing mafia, you need not to publish scummy posts.

By being scum and having to show town why you are one of them, you are already lying.

So yes, you have to lie as scum by principle and you have to tell the truth as town by principle in a perfect world. Luckily (or unluckily, depending on the perspective) the world is not perfect and there are people with different personalities, behavior traits, culture. biases etc

There are town players who lie to get to the truth and backfire on them, there are those who lie to get truths out and work!
There are town who are always truthful and get death tunneled for it because they are obvtown too.

You can't be 100% truthful as town in a game of lies specially in games with Power Roles because you have to fool Mafia into believing that you are not the cop or the doctor.
I've seen town players lying in the game to pocket wolves and backstab them at EoD.

If you yeet a town for lying without looking beyond the purpose of a lie, you are as much anti-town as those that lie without purpose while being town.
I think you misunderstanding something - there is a big difference between confirmed lying town and unconfirmed lying town. No one is going to yeet confirmed town, who lied, but if you aren't confirmed town and you got caught, you aren't town in other people's eyes, you aren't lying town, you are a liar without credibility and in most cases best course of action is to remove you from the game, finding true motivation behind the lie is hard, convincing people that your interpreted motivation is the true motivation is even harder. So even if you don't yeet liar, it is very likely to clog thread with discussion about yeeting liar and liar is an easy target for scum to point at, when they need misdirection or contribution.

I agree that it can work, but chances of backfiring is high and that makes it not a viable strategy - you should play to best of your ability to win and making risky play is counterintuitive to that

Getting doc or cop doesn't give you right to claim different role to protect yourself, unless it is agreed that strong PRs claim VT in massclaim or there is some other agreement. Also I'm a firm believer of idea that your playstyle should remain same no matter what role you have, otherwise it's too easy to figure out what role you got, if you play differently as a doc and as VT for example. Similarly it doesn't give you right to fake a guilty, if you get a weak role, but you have a really strong suspicion

I will leave out semantics discussion of what is and what isn't a lie for scum as it has nothing with the subject of this thread

Lastly, there was no need for your mockery either
Spirit of Mafia
Spirit of Mafia
Watcher
Spirit of Mafia
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Post by Spirit of Mafia »

People please. Braid each other’s hair, sing Kumbaya, do whatever you need to do to maintain the spirit of mafia.

Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:33 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 179, Ramcius wrote:
In post 178, Guillotina wrote: There is no need for your condescending tone here, we are not playing mafia, you need not to publish scummy posts.

I think you misunderstanding something - there is a big difference between confirmed lying town and unconfirmed lying town. No one is going to yeet confirmed town, who lied, but if you aren't confirmed town and you got caught, you aren't town in other people's eyes, you aren't lying town, you are a liar without credibility and in most cases best course of action is to remove you from the game, finding true motivation behind the lie is hard, convincing people that your interpreted motivation is the true motivation is even harder. So even if you don't yeet liar, it is very likely to clog thread with discussion about yeeting liar and liar is an easy target for scum to point at, when they need misdirection or contribution.

I agree that it can work, but chances of backfiring is high and that makes it not a viable strategy - you should play to best of your ability to win and making risky play is counterintuitive to that

Getting doc or cop doesn't give you right to claim different role to protect yourself, unless it is agreed that strong PRs claim VT in massclaim or there is some other agreement.
Also I'm a firm believer of idea that your playstyle
should remain same no matter what role you have, otherwise it's too easy to figure out what role you got, if you play differently as a doc and as VT for example. Similarly it doesn't give you right to fake a guilty, if you get a weak role, but you have a really strong suspicion

I will leave out semantics discussion of what is and what isn't a lie for scum as it has nothing with the subject of this thread

Lastly, there was no need for your mockery either
I agree, mockery was not needed but you had it coming. Let's just treat each other with respect despite our differences in opinion and we'll get along really well.

As a player who fakes his meta in every game, I gotta say changing playstyle is a must if you want players to judge you based on what you are doing in the game and not based on what you've done in the past. If I can fake meta other people can too and getting judged on what people expect to be your usual style sucks.
See? That in itself is lying too but it is lying to protect my future games as either alignment.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:01 pm

Post by Ramcius »

In post 181, Guillotina wrote: I agree, mockery was not needed but you had it coming. Let's just treat each other with respect despite our differences in opinion and we'll get along really well.

As a player who fakes his meta in every game, I gotta say changing playstyle is a must if you want players to judge you based on what you are doing in the game and not based on what you've done in the past. If I can fake meta other people can too and getting judged on what people expect to be your usual style sucks.
See? That in itself is lying too but it is lying to protect my future games as either alignment.
Again, I never said to establish a meta, I said don't establish your playstyle on the role you got. If you change your playstyle every game, then that's your playstyle - doing something new every time

Yes, I see, but I'm too lazy to think some way to make fun of you, and I don't see how it protects your future games, when you say we should respect each others different opinions, then try to mock me again with example that isn't what this thread is about.

Also, I don't mind people trying to mock me, it just surprises me that they don't expect me to respond in kind to their terrible mockery. "You had it coming" is funny excuse, seems like you need a justification for it too. Do you feel like your mockery was inappropriate or something in this discussion?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:30 pm

Post by Ythan »

Jfc this thread
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:20 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 182, Ramcius wrote:
In post 181, Guillotina wrote: I agree, mockery was not needed but you had it coming. Let's just treat each other with respect despite our differences in opinion and we'll get along really well.

Again, I never said to establish a meta, I said don't establish your playstyle on the role you got. If you change your playstyle every game, then that's your playstyle - doing something new every time

Yes, I see, but I'm too lazy to think some way to make fun of you, and I don't see how it protects your future games, when you say we should respect each others different opinions, then try to mock me again with example that isn't what this thread is about.

Also, I don't mind people trying to mock me, it just surprises me that they don't expect me to respond in kind to their terrible mockery. "You had it coming" is funny excuse, seems like you need a justification for it too. Do you feel like your mockery was inappropriate or something in this discussion?
Let's establish what you considered my mocking post to begin with, because I think we are talking about different posts. Where did I mock you?
In post 183, Ythan wrote:Jfc this thread
No. If you don't like the thread anymore, feel free to unsubscribe from it. Ramcius and I are trying to come to an understanding of each other.

Anyways, I disagree with lynch all liars when town, but if that ever becomes policy, then lynch all wolves that tell the truth should follow too.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:46 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 184, Guillotina wrote:No. If you don't like the thread anymore, feel free to unsubscribe from it.
Egosearch actually, can't help you.
In post 184, Guillotina wrote:Ramcius and I are trying to come to an understanding of each other.
That's an optimistic way of looking at it good luck to you.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 185, Ythan wrote:Egosearch actually, can't help you.
Just delete account 4head
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:34 am

Post by Ramcius »

Are you saying you didn't mock me after saying that I had it coming? That's a rhetorical question, I don't really need an answer

Secondly, lynch all wolves is a goal of the mafia, it's unconditional, it doesn't matter, if wolves say truth or not...

Lastly, this thread is even named "stop fakeclaiming as town", it's about big lies that changes course of the game, no one is going to lynch a person for some obscure lie that no one care about, that's just basic common sense, we literally were arguing fakeclaiming for couple pages, I mean, I have really hard time to believe that you are oblivious to such extent and you come as really nitpicky troll
Spirit of Mafia
Spirit of Mafia
Watcher
Spirit of Mafia
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:46 am

Post by Spirit of Mafia »

Play nice, this is mafia afterall.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:10 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 187, Ramcius wrote:Are you saying you didn't mock me after saying that I had it coming? That's a rhetorical question, I don't really need an answer

Secondly, lynch all wolves is a goal of the mafia, it's unconditional, it doesn't matter, if wolves say truth or not...

Lastly, this thread is even named "stop fakeclaiming as town", it's about big lies that changes course of the game, no one is going to lynch a person for some obscure lie that no one care about, that's just basic common sense, we literally were arguing fakeclaiming for couple pages, I mean, I have really hard time to believe that you are oblivious to such extent and you come as really nitpicky troll
No im saying that I mocked you in response to your scummy condescending post, where i said that you dont need to publish scummy posts. Is that the one you considered a mocking of you?

Secondly, that is not the point, stop arguing just because you wanna win the argument, stop Donald Trumping me.

Lastly, the thread says “stop fakeclaiming as town, lynch ALL liars!!” and I still disagree. Yes fakeclaiming as town can backfire bad for town, but it also can work great. I caught three wolves in another game at another site with a fakeclaim! 3/4 on Day 2. But i had to die so they (town) would trust my reads and I accepted it, now they are killing my scum reads one by one. It can work! You just gotta learn to see beyond the lie to determine if the fake claimer is town or scum and it will never be accomplished if town is so one-dimensional to believe that all town players gotta tell the truth, no they don't.
Last edited by Guillotina on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:11 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 188, Spirit of Mafia wrote:

Play nice, this is mafia afterall.
Awww that video is lovely.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:31 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I wonder why Guil would ever advocate to not PL liars.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:40 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 191, Nero Cain wrote:I wonder why Guil would ever advocate to not PL liars.
I wonder why? wanna talk about it?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:47 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Not the time or place.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 192, Guillotina wrote:
In post 191, Nero Cain wrote:I wonder why Guil would ever advocate to not PL liars.
I wonder why? wanna talk about it?
absolutely but later
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:48 pm

Post by Ramcius »

In post 189, Guillotina wrote: No im saying that I mocked you in response to your scummy condescending post, where i said that you dont need to publish scummy posts. Is that the one you considered a mocking of you?

Secondly, that is not the point, stop arguing just because you wanna win the argument, stop Donald Trumping me.

Lastly, the thread says “stop fakeclaiming as town, lynch ALL liars!!” and I still disagree. Yes fakeclaiming as town can backfire bad for town, but it also can work great. I caught three wolves in another game at another site with a fakeclaim! 3/4 on Day 2. But i had to die so they (town) would trust my reads and I accepted it, now they are killing my scum reads one by one. It can work! You just gotta learn to see beyond the lie to determine if the fake claimer is town or scum and it will never be accomplished if town is so one-dimensional to believe that all town players gotta tell the truth, no they don't.
"If X is true, then Y must be true too" is a classic mockery, when Y is rubbish

Let me remind you that you picked this fight, you waltzed in and quoted my post trying to prove me wrong, not the other way around.

For the last time, just because something worked once doesn't mean it's a good strategy. Good strategy must works most of the times. If it doesn't, it's a bad strategy.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:22 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

Being variable is a better strategy than being prefectly predicable.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:53 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I'm not sure it's possible to be perfectly predictable in Mafia. It's very rare for the exact same situation to arise twice, because too much variability comes from the other players' actions (in fact, in most queues, enough variability comes simply from the setup). So games play out sufficiently differently from each other that (if you're really into the game and trying to win) there tends not to be much of a pattern to notice even if you aren't intentionally trying to vary your playstyle. Being variable for the sake of being variable is simply just going to make you play suboptimally sometimes, it isn't going to help your town win rates.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”