Confessional on Fallacies

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Confessional on Fallacies

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:04 am

Post by Firebringer »

So I notice of course during the course of mafia people are going to commit fallacies when arguing with others. As much as we all try to avoid doing it, we will eventually commit one or two.

Personally I find myself committing a Reverse Bandwagon fallacy when it comes to scumhunting because I find town too inept to actually get a wagon on scum usually so I town read a person who is getting wagoned on.

My other is probably Confirmation Bias, which I try to limit. I will have preconceived notion on a player then when i ISO them, as much as I try to be open about my ideas on them, I am hunting for specific perspective on them.

In mafia in general I find the biggest offenses are likely Confirmation Bias and Hasty Generalizations.

How about you guys?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:27 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

My entire playstyle is one huge fallacy.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:37 am

Post by Taly »

Tbh, mine is probably waffling. :/

I connect so many dots to things that I have a hard time deciphering what's scum, and what's town. X_X So people tend to see me on both town/scum wagons/lynches, especially when I'm town.

But this usually only happens in extremely active games, specifically if I've been in 1v1s with people and nobody explains themselves to me at all.

Though, nobody can say that I don't townhunt and scumhunt. :)

Even though I try my hardest not to do this - especially as town, I sometimes tunnel.... with a slight persecution complex type mindset. heheh...

heheh....

....I really need to roll scum more. :facepalm:
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:38 am

Post by Psyche »

ingame arguments on MS are rarely fallacy-free
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:50 am

Post by Ankamius »

I death tunnel absurdly hard. Anyone who's seen me at my most active can tell what I mean.
hi im Yakko
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:54 am

Post by hi im Yakko »

In post 0, Firebringer wrote:So I notice of course during the course of mafia people are going to commit fallacies when arguing with others. As much as we all try to avoid doing it, we will eventually commit one or two.

Personally I find myself committing a Reverse Bandwagon fallacy when it comes to scumhunting because I find town too inept to actually get a wagon on scum usually so I town read a person who is getting wagoned on.

My other is probably Confirmation Bias, which I try to limit. I will have preconceived notion on a player then when i ISO them, as much as I try to be open about my ideas on them, I am hunting for specific perspective on them.

In mafia in general I find the biggest offenses are likely Confirmation Bias and Hasty Generalizations.

How about you guys?

Certainly the argument that he is town because he[some player] is being wagoned is at best a poor explanation for a gut read based off of experience.

I think you should focus on hyper logical actions instead of arguments in a post in conjuction with actions in the context of a game. How does it [arguments and actions] push his [some players] agenda? And is that agenda protown? I hear people post very "town" like sometimes. Because of verbosity and descriptive nature in conjunction with theory to form questions. To that I say ew.

I think confirmation bias was invented by a scum aligned player (I know I know bubuh science). Nothing technically wrong with confirmation bias; of course it is all post facto of whether you are guilty of it. I usually ignore confirmation bias arguments. No need to bring cognitive sciences explanationnof skewed stats into this [mafia game].

In an imperfect and incomplete game type hasty generalization is impossible? Inb4 context is relevant.
When the opposition are here you tell them nothing except where the toilets are, but you lie about that right. Fuckity bye
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:58 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

What's wrong with improving your game? Sure, sometimes people take the game too seriously, but what's wrong with taking these things into account to play just a little better?

Understanding confirmation bias can help you improve your game. Confirmation bias is something that we all suffer from. Becoming conscious of it is very educational, IMO. Also, just because scientific research is done on confirmation bias, does not mean that we need to bring much science in the game when it is used.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
hi im Yakko
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
hi im Yakko
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:04 am

Post by hi im Yakko »

Did I misread the op? He was asking us to confess our fallacies. Not that he wanted to get better. I was just commenting on the fallacies and how they're meh.

Underetanding confbias is just another thing to worry about when playing as it tantamounts to if you're right then it's all knof you're wrong you're wrong. What benefit is derived from confbias? It is all a priori speculation. Especially when thrown out there. It is not convincing it is not helpful it is just fluff.
When the opposition are here you tell them nothing except where the toilets are, but you lie about that right. Fuckity bye
Tere
Tere
Mafia Scum
Tere
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:09 am

Post by Tere »

It just reads as buzzword bingo to me.
Mostly V/LA at weekends. GTKAS - Tere
I am also really too busy to play mafia to the quality level I prefer. I should spectate. If you see me in more than one game tell me off! Also invite me to cool games to spectate. I will bring cupcakes! <3
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:11 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

This is my shit right here.

If the entire playerbase scumreads someone I HAVE to townread them.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:22 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

To be clear: quack
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:17 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 9, RadiantCowbells wrote:

I think this is actually true, though. If every single person in the town is scumreading somebody, it means that scum is happy with the lynch. Bussing exists but if every single person agrees someone is obvscum they are probably just a town VI.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:10 am

Post by Taly »

And this is usually how SOMEONE townreads me early-game as town...

Which is often a fallacy itself.
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 11, Plotinus wrote:

I think this is actually true, though. If every single person in the town is scumreading somebody, it means that scum is happy with the lynch. Bussing exists but if every single person agrees someone is obvscum they are probably just a town VI.

ugh I hate this logic when I have caught scum in my eyes. Lazy excuse often
third best scummer of all time
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:06 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Well you're not going to scumread yourself now are you.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:41 am

Post by Ythan »

Sometimes I try to deal with other players like people.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:45 am

Post by Majiffy »

I like ad hom.

I like ad hom a lot.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:55 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Well you're not going to scumread yourself now are you.

Pfft.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Post by pieguyn »

I have a hazardous tendency to believe really strongly someone is town for reasons that aren't actually good, and be entirely unable to reverse it no matter how many times I look at it again.

for added context, I usually never let lynches on my town reads happen. combine this with the above and you get a sequence of events that has singlehandedly lost at least 2 games in recent memory.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:11 am

Post by DiamondSentinel »

To even commit fallacies you have to know what's going on

In all seriousness, though, my biggest one is "Nothing can ever go 'right' unless the mafia allow it to happen". If, for any reason, a scum is lynched without a PR having confirmed them as scum, then mafia wants them to die. As such, I don't read anyone who pushes a scum lynch on days 1-3 as strictly town.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:57 am

Post by PokerFace »

Is it a fallacy when you condemn one player for doing something you yourself have done? Cause I have done that before

Since the thread also appears to be about peoples faults, I rarely bus. I have done it in face to face and on irc but I don't think I have actually done it on mafiascum and I have been here 8+ years. I probably need to change that
Last edited by PokerFace on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:00 am

Post by Majiffy »

I almost always bus. In fact, I am usually the one leading the charge.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

In post 20, PokerFace wrote:Is it a fallacy when you condemn one player for doing something you yourself have done? Cause I have done that before

Since the thread also appears to be about peoples faults, I rarely bus. I have done it in face to face and on irc but I don't think I have actually done it on mafiascum and I have been here 8+ years. I probably need to change that

It's not strictly a fallacy, but saying that someone is wrong because they themselves do it IS a fallacy, and one that annoys me to no end.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:14 am

Post by Iecerint »

Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:23 am

Post by Espeonage »

In post 23, Iecerint wrote:

But this is where I bus like a champion.
Don't @ me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”