Questions about a theme I am working on.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 am

Post by chamber »

I stand by my initial statement. We don't have any relevant experience. Take the too many kill sources complaint for instance. It is absolutely true for a game of mafia, but is it true for your suggested game? Let's look at why it's bad in mafia: It makes non killing town roles feel impotent because their direct impact on the game is significantly reduced. It significantly increases the variance making it functionally more luck based. Now lets look at how those apply to your version: I suspect you already have a non functional day phase. no majority faction will either lead to day being a complete blood bath or lynches wont happen at all. In either case lots of killing roles has a reduced impact on how it effects their ability to be meaningful during the day phase. Increased variance still makes it luck based, but now a faction being randomly eliminated early actually makes the game more functional. I would posit that the increased killing roles in your game actually help it. Now, my confidence of that is fairly low given that I have no experience. But I think it highlights how just getting us to through general advice meant for mafia your way could negatively impact your game.
Taking a break from the site.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I've played games by mr. stoofer that had that many night kills that were fine.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

I'd play it. Preferably in a blitz format while stoned out of my mind, but nonetheless.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 42, Powder Punk Girl wrote:But you are saying giving them that information would ruin scum's chances, where am I saying that they get that information? Also I have never been apart of a game where town knew who they were to keep alive either.

they're effectively a scum faction in that they're a minority who have to stay alive and/or keep other people in their faction alive. just because you slap a "town" label on them doesn't make them a town.

i have no skin in the game and i'll add the the chorus of people saying that, as is, this isn't a mafia game. that's not a judgement and i'm not being an asshole, it's a cold hard fact.

i think it could be a perfectly acceptable forum game (see our "mish mash" section). but calling it mafia would be inaccurate.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Post by AngryPidgeon »

The most obvious problem with this game is that its so symmetrical people will figure out what roleclaims are fake or not pretty readily.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 46, Kamigami wrote:This post will very likely show up as a google hit for some player who wants to research the flavor. You're probably underestimating the extent to which it's spoiled by being here, especially since it's unworkable as an open due to all the uniquely named roles.

I think this can become reasonable if you accept the primary criticism: there should be only one Town. Once you have that, if you want to preserve flavor, you're going to have to rethink how the different factions (by which I mean zerg-terran-protoss) interact. A possibility mentioned above is something like having faction-specific roles. If you do that, you should expect Day 1 to start with a mass faction claim unless you give players some reason not to.

In general, I don't think it's a good idea to maintain the notion that the three factions are irreconcilably different, especially given that they have a common enemy. I didn't really follow it, but I believe Hitogorashi's signs and void had players with three different "signs" that you might draw ideas from.

I'd expect the mass faction claim to happen as it sits now anyway.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Post by Powder Punk Girl »

In post 53, Antihero wrote:
In post 42, Powder Punk Girl wrote:But you are saying giving them that information would ruin scum's chances, where am I saying that they get that information? Also I have never been apart of a game where town knew who they were to keep alive either.

they're effectively a scum faction in that they're a minority who have to stay alive and/or keep other people in their faction alive. just because you slap a "town" label on them doesn't make them a town.

i have no skin in the game and i'll add the the chorus of people saying that, as is, this isn't a mafia game. that's not a judgement and i'm not being an asshole, it's a cold hard fact.

i think it could be a perfectly acceptable forum game (see our "mish mash" section). but calling it mafia would be inaccurate.

Well to be fair I have already pointed out that it doesn't need to be called "mafia" the gameplay would encompass all the same elements such as, day/night phases, voting, night actions and the like. It would in fact be a variant on the game of mafia.
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 pm

In post 54, AngryPidgeon wrote:The most obvious problem with this game is that its so symmetrical people will figure out what roleclaims are fake or not pretty readily.

Well the roles are not set in stone, and it would be easy to rename everything and make the game no reveal as to not give away too much information as well.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 56, Powder Punk Girl wrote:It would in fact be a variant on the game of mafia.

cool

good luck
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 57, Powder Punk Girl wrote:make the game no reveal

Please also don't do this!
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:32 pm

In post 59, Ythan wrote:
In post 57, Powder Punk Girl wrote:make the game no reveal

Please also don't do this!

Why?
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Now that I think about it. that would be a HUGE solution for any and all problems revolving around people knowing they are in a different faction than they are. Everyone would have to play as one faction. regardless of whether or not they were. There being three scum and three factions they could each pretend to be one. Therefore evening out the squads as to not draw too much attention. Or maybe I make each scum a member of each race and all the town of each race work as one and the three scum from each race work as a scum team. I technically have three faction divided into two teams.
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:48 pm

In post 61, Powder Punk Girl wrote:Or maybe I make each scum a member of each race and all the town of each race work as one and the three scum from each race work as a scum team. I technically have three faction divided into two teams.

Because if I did this and keep the "abilities don't activate until each faction's mason is dead" I wouldn't have to break them off and it would still feel like there are three teams. I could even have the faction win con include ALL Protoss/Terran/Zerg, so if one of the faction specific scum was alive with nothing but faction specific town they would all win. You guys think that sounds better or worse?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:45 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 61, Powder Punk Girl wrote:Now that I think about it. that would be a HUGE solution for any and all problems revolving around people knowing they are in a different faction than they are. Everyone would have to play as one faction. regardless of whether or not they were. There being three scum and three factions they could each pretend to be one. Therefore evening out the squads as to not draw too much attention. Or maybe I make each scum a member of each race and all the town of each race work as one and the three scum from each race work as a scum team. I technically have three faction divided into two teams.

The analogy I'm going to use is that if you tell a white lie, then have to keep telling more lies to cover up for the original lie, it becomes a giant mess.

So... if the "different town factions" mechanic is causing you to have to keep coming up with more and more "fixes" in the setup to make it work, it's going to create a bigger mess than it's worth.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:47 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Check out Gay Mafia, a game I co-modded and designed.

We had people with "orientations": gay, straight, or bisexual. Certain roles in the game could affect certain other roles based on their alignments, but all town were still just town and all scum were still just scum. I think that's a much more elegant solution to the different races you want to include in this game.
green shirt thursdays
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:57 am

Post by Ythan »

No reveal is unfun. Play a no reveal game.
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:26 am

In post 65, Ythan wrote:No reveal is unfun. Play a no reveal game.

Have many times, got no problems with it. It may be a little annoying sure, but still fun.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:13 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

"give me advice"
"here is advice"
"no"

-this thread-
green shirt thursdays
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:33 pm

In post 67, xRECKONERx wrote:"give me advice"
"here is advice"
"no"

-this thread-

To be fair things said in this thread have helped me figure out the direction I want to take it, and for the most part there has been VERY little advice actually given it has mostly been "this won't work, give up"
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:36 pm

In post 63, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 61, Powder Punk Girl wrote:Now that I think about it. that would be a HUGE solution for any and all problems revolving around people knowing they are in a different faction than they are. Everyone would have to play as one faction. regardless of whether or not they were. There being three scum and three factions they could each pretend to be one. Therefore evening out the squads as to not draw too much attention. Or maybe I make each scum a member of each race and all the town of each race work as one and the three scum from each race work as a scum team. I technically have three faction divided into two teams.

The analogy I'm going to use is that if you tell a white lie, then have to keep telling more lies to cover up for the original lie, it becomes a giant mess.

So... if the "different town factions" mechanic is causing you to have to keep coming up with more and more "fixes" in the setup to make it work, it's going to create a bigger mess than it's worth.

If the only way to make something work is to fix little things one at a time, then that's what you have to do. It's better than giving up every time you hit a little bump in the road. Also I would say if I can find a way to make this work with out any glaring flaws it will have been WELL worth it.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

"this won't work, give up" is all the advice you'll ever need though
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Powder Punk Girl
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Powder Punk Girl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:43 pm

In post 70, Cheery Dog wrote:"this won't work, give up" is all the advice you'll ever need though

ikr, unfortunately I am stubborn and won't give up until I've learned my lessons the hard way.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”