Question about ICs in Newbies

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Question about ICs in Newbies

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:16 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

I was just wondering. In a 2 town vs. 1 mafia situation in a mafia game, and the 1 mafia is the IC. Has the IC being lynched because mafia would target town IC earlier in the game ever happened? This question came from a situation on my homesite. There was the "Aeronaeous Paradox" where people would say Aeronaeous had to be scum because if town would already be NKed.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:44 am

Post by Ythan »

What is the situation on your home site?
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 0, PhantomCobalt wrote:I was just wondering. In a 2 town vs. 1 mafia situation in a mafia game, and the 1 mafia is the IC. Has the IC being lynched because mafia would target town IC earlier in the game ever happened? This question came from a situation on my homesite. There was the "Aeronaeous Paradox" where people would say Aeronaeous had to be scum because if town would already be NKed.

It's actually quite common for an IC to survive deep into a newbie game as either alignment, at least on MS.
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:27 pm

Post by PhantomCobalt »

In post 1, Ythan wrote:What is the situation on your home site?

There's a player that brought the game to the forum (it's a Minecraft forum) and he's had a lot of mafia experience. In the first few games on the site, they would lynch him if he lived too long because they thought scum would see him as a threat because he was the only person that could properly scumhunt back then.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:47 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

"X is alive on Day [#] so they must be scum" is a fairly common argument that's brought up when playing with more prolific players.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:15 pm

Post by Ythan »

Faced this as scum IC in my last newbie game. Seen it other times too. Seems fairly common.

Wanted to make sure you weren't asking for advice on an ongoing game.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:51 am

Post by SilverWolf »

A lot of times town IC's will be targeted by doc if there is one in a game so scum doesn't go for them right away.

Happened to me. Last newbie I IC'd, had doc, cop, and scum RBer all target me N1.

So even as scum, this gives ICs some leeway there.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:04 am

Post by Plotinus »

the IC is also really likely to be investigated by the cop/jailkeeper/tracker/etc, so if they're scum, you'll probably find out sooner or later.

I recently made it to 3p LYLO as an innocent child. It was embarrassing. (I mention this because the acronym standing for the two different concepts is pretty apt; my playstyle changes in similar ways in both roles.)
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:49 am

Post by PokerFace »

I noticed a bizarre inverse of this issue once. I was playing face to face with a very good friend of mine and we are both very good at mafia. Him and I were last 2 alive along with another player who was relatively a newbie. My friend and I realized "Wait if you were scum you would have killed me night 1" since we knew each other so well and realized how much of a threat we posed to each other. Because both of us were alive we deduced the newbie was the scum and the newbie was.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:32 pm

Post by PhantomCobalt »

In post 8, PokerFace wrote:I noticed a bizarre inverse of this issue once. I was playing face to face with a very good friend of mine and we are both very good at mafia. Him and I were last 2 alive along with another player who was relatively a newbie. My friend and I realized "Wait if you were scum you would have killed me night 1" since we knew each other so well and realized how much of a threat we posed to each other. Because both of us were alive we deduced the newbie was the scum and the newbie was.

Interesting.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In my real life friends that play mafia. There is a group of a few of us that are all very good at catching other people late, but all are bad at reading each other. So if one of us is scum we generally leave the others alive which makes too many good players alive for the logic to stick.
Don't @ me.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:06 am

Post by callforjudgement »

My standard method to counter this sort of thing as scum is to leave two competent players alive so that the town can't tell which of them scum is trying to avoid killing. As scum in a mini or micro with relatively normal lynch mechanics, I'd typically be looking to go into a 3:2 endgame with one townie who's either confirmed or widely believed town, two unconfirmed townies, and two scum (and then make up my mind about whether to bus or to go for the misvote+quickhammer over the course of the lylo).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”