Stylistic concerns (ver 2)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Post by Rubixxx »

In post 22, BBmolla wrote:What exactly do you want mods to weigh in on

Do you feel guilt from playing games like Call of Duty? Just curious.

I was wondering if it was against the rules, but it seems like it's not. And I don't play CoD, but if I did, it wouldn't bother me because it's a random white guy pulling the trigger, not me.

It's interesting, though, because I've gone through all of my games and I've noticed that, even in games where I can customize my character, I never make / name them after myself. The only exception to the rule would be games like Mii Plaza for the 3ds. But I hardly think that counts...

In post 23, BBmolla wrote:I think the thing you really need to grasp is at the end of the day it's a game, nothing in it is real sans emotions. But even some of those are fake. And I've definitely been like "YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT" and then been chill with that person after the game.

I discourage not being yourself because it makes you harder to read and will be more likely to get you lynched imo.

That's a risk I'm willing to take if it means being more comfortable. All things get better with practice.

In post 24, VysePresident wrote:Mhm, the real the secret to acting is to be yourself - just learn to control which aspects of yourself that people see. (I.e. Some people think I'm an extrovert, amusingly enough, given I'm the most timid introvert at heart.)

It's amazing how much this helps you as both Town and Scum, though as Town, it really shouldn't take priority over scumhunting. (You'll also find that scumhunting in a manner that's both coherent, and resonates with the people playing is one of the best ways to get Townread. Take a bit of time to explain those gutreads. It's usually worth it.)

if it makes any sense, that's kind of what I'll be doing anyway - portraying certain aspects of myself that other people see. I'll take an aspect of myself and make a character out of it.

I don't expect everyone to get it, but I'm pretty sure this is something that I want to do, and something that can work. So I'm going to try it.
Life is a puzzle; there is no answer key.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Post by BBmolla »

As long as you can keep everything consistent with your characters through actions, it shouldn't be an issue. If that makes sense.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

So you mean you want to take on a certain playstyle? That's OK.

However, if people notice you are "acting" too much, you will be scumread even if you are town.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:02 am

Post by Rubixxx »

In post 27, AlwaysInnocent wrote:So you mean you want to take on a certain playstyle? That's OK.

However, if people notice you are "acting" too much, you will be scumread even if you are town.

Well, I'll be doing my first newbie match soon, so fingers crossed! Again, I think it's worth it because in all the matches I've been looking at so far (I'm not going to mention any names because I dunno if it's against the rules yet), things get VERY personal, very fast. I'm too sensitive for digs like that. It would really upset me if I felt like those comments were directed at me instead of my character.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:05 am

Post by Plotinus »

You can talk about games that are completed: where the moderator has said that one side has won (usually it's put in the thread title that the game is over) and nobody is playing the game anymore.

You can read games that are ongoing but you can't talk about them.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:40 am

Post by itlepip »

In post 28, Rubixxx wrote:
In post 27, AlwaysInnocent wrote:So you mean you want to take on a certain playstyle? That's OK.

Well, I'll be doing my first newbie match soon, so fingers crossed! Again, I think it's worth it because in all the matches I've been looking at so far (I'm not going to mention any names because I dunno if it's against the rules yet), things get VERY personal, very fast. I'm too sensitive for digs like that. It would really upset me if I felt like those comments were directed at me instead of my character.

I will say though that by having a character you are more likely to get more personal comments, not less. Things that are too in character that take time to decipher (like Jaquen or Roleplay when he actually was roleplaying) I honestly usually ignore. I understand some of your concern about being too involved in the game, in my opinion I think most people are to an extent a character. Like I play games on here in order to play to a certain game theory, and I generally don't even consider the flavor of what is going on regarding killing or whatnot. The biggest problem with having a character is that either you have to artificially enhance the scumminess of the character to compensate, or you might be auto lynched since you are cutting yourself off from reaction tests which are really important. Basically the problem is that you get to decide how scummy each of your characters are. Nothing you create can be less scummy than vanilla you playing, but when you introduce other motivations or flaws into your characters you are sandbagging your mafia ability which is really scummy.
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:43 am

Post by itlepip »

I'm not saying that what you are trying to do is impossible, but it is a really hard tightrope to walk to create a character that you can distance yourself from that also doesn't have artificial thoughts or flaws in judgement. If not you are creating a strawman for your own ideas which is hard not to policy lynch.
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:42 am

Post by Rubixxx »

Well, I can't say how good I am at playing mafia, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to write and portray characters. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 28, Rubixxx wrote:

Personal attacks are against the rules, so if someone attacks your person, then you should definitely tell that person to stop doing that, or take it to the mod if it is really personal. Sometimes it is not really personal, but players can still be annoying without realizing it. When that happens, just tell them so. I have been told to back off when I kept criticizing someone's playstyle. I did not completely realize how annoying that was.

You have to remember that you are just playing a game. If someone attacks your posts, the way you play the game (even when you play "yourself"), then that is not necessarily personal (but can still be annoying, of course). Town players want to get to the truth and sometimes go to great lengths to get there, while scum players on the other hand will try to set you up, or frame you, when you feel that you haven't doing anything suspicious. When you play Mafia, you have to expect getting into fights. It is part of the game. But if it gets too ugly, then there may be a problem that the players (or the mod as a last resort) need to fix.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:10 am

Post by kuribo »

Why are my ears burning?

Anyway, I made quite a career out of not being myself. Or at least, amping up to 1000 the parts of me the world never gets to see.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:28 am

Post by Rubixxx »

In post 34, kuribo wrote:Why are my ears burning?

Anyway, I made quite a career out of not being myself. Or at least, amping up to 1000 the parts of me the world never gets to see.

Hey, cool! I knew I couldn't be the only one. Are there any more? Jsyk I'm going to be dumpster diving through your old posts to see how you do things like all day.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:39 am

Post by Davsto »

I wouldn't go as far as to say I have a different "persona", but I'd definitely say that, the vast majority of the time, the way I act while playing a game is definitely an exaggerated version of my actual personality in real life.

Except for the puns.
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:24 am

Post by Rubixxx »

In post 36, Davsto wrote:I wouldn't go as far as to say I have a different "persona", but I'd definitely say that, the vast majority of the time, the way I act while playing a game is definitely an exaggerated version of my actual personality in real life.

Except for the puns.

Puns are awesome and should always be the exception to the rule imo.
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:27 am

Post by itlepip »

I really agree with the persona comments, my point is that the logic has to be yours even though you know that people will attack your logic (and hopefully not you but there are always bad apples). My comment is that if your logic is based on what you think your character thinks instead of what you think you are no longer playing mafia.
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:43 am

Post by Rubixxx »

In post 38, itlepip wrote:I really agree with the persona comments, my point is that the logic has to be yours even though you know that people will attack your logic (and hopefully not you but there are always bad apples). My comment is that if your logic is based on what you think your character thinks instead of what you think you are no longer playing mafia.

Ohhhh. Nah, it'll mostly be my own conclusions. The characters will just say things differently. Some might be a little more aggressive or more laid back, but I'm not going to ignore my instincts about who's scum or not. That'd be stupid.
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 am

Post by Rubixxx »

I mean, I still want to win. XD
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 35, Rubixxx wrote:
In post 34, kuribo wrote:Why are my ears burning?

Hey, cool! I knew I couldn't be the only one. Are there any more? Jsyk I'm going to be dumpster diving through your old posts to see how you do things like all day.

i really wouldn't emulate my playstyle if I were you

it gets really tiring after awhile

In post 0, kuribo wrote:

Raging in games is an addiction, akin to smoking meth, shooting crack rocks, or snorting weeds. I see you there, fresh-faced, and I wish I could go back to the time before I first raged. I'd tell myself that it's just not worth it. It's never worth it.

It's too late for me. Save yourself. Calm down. Relax. It's just a game.

Rage. Not even once.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:38 pm

Post by Rubixxx »

Well, I wasn't going to COPY it. Just kinda scope it out a lil. Get a few ideas in my noggin. You have over 11,000 posts - you had to be doing SOMETHING right!
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:27 am

Post by Rubixxx »

So, my first game has ended. Predictably, the attempt was a flop. So I doubt I'll try again unless it's in a themed game. Maybe I should just look for a new site instead of trying to bend this site to my expectations.

Das ist alles.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:56 pm

Post by Plotinus »

did the times when you weren't roleplaying hurt as much as you expected them to?

Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 am

Post by Rubixxx »

I will say I reacted badly to any time I felt I was being attacked instead of the character, yes. I even had a mini melt down.

Again, this is just probably not the game for me. No weenies allowed, just like on Spongebob
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:19 am

Post by Plotinus »

i'm sorry to hear that. i'm a bit of a softy too sometimes just in a different way. it's good to find that out about yourself early, i think.

the point of a game is to have fun. if you're not having fun, then something's wrong: and i don't mean something's wrong with you, i mean that you're not enjoying yourself and you should do things you enjoy for leisure. there are plenty of games that i don't enjoy, so i don't play them.

maybe there will be a way to make mafia work for you but if there isn't, there's nothing wrong with that. there will be other games that you'll enjoy more.

AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:25 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

If you don't enjoy the game, then it is not for you. Although I would not give up after one game. Clearly you like something about this game, otherwise you would have been long gone.

In Mafia, you must learn not to give a shit. When you no longer give a shit, getting into "fights" can even be fun.
Rubixxx
Rubixxx
Goon
Rubixxx
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Post by Rubixxx »

Hmmm... maybe playing the game could be an occasional thing, but I could regularly mod for them? That could be fun!

Come to think of it, I have had an idea for a Team Fortress 2 game kicking around in my head for a bit...

Of course, I'll need to put in some work to get a better understanding of the game, but I think that path is actually pretty feasible!
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:13 pm

Post by Plotinus »

You'll be eligible to signup to mod a game (open or mini normal) starting April 13th (3 months after your joindate). Meanwhile, you might be interested in mishmash? There are a bunch of different games there.

I was wondering if you might have more success if you didn't use a different font colour for the roleplaying. I think when all of your posts were green then people found it hard to read what you were saying and that probably got you started off on the wrong foot. If you didn't change the text colour or font but just posted normally you probably could get away with using a persona a little more easily. Nobody here knows you as a person so if you develop a bubbly game persona (not so fluffy as to be distracting, still capable of scumhunting and playing the game, just...bubbly) nobody knows that you're not bubbly in real life and when people attack that bubbly person they're not attacking you. Do you think that would work?

You wouldn't be the only person who roleplays in games. Performer usually picks 2 players that they've played with before to try and imitate their playing styles, you might want to read some of their games to see how they do it. Or Roleplay25 is an alt of another user who did some roleplaying in his games and it was pretty fun to watch and I've seen some other examples too that I particularly enjoyed but I can't talk about them yet.

Another thing you might try is to pick somebody that you know in real life and lift aspects of their personality, think "what would Jane think of this post?" and then try to write what you think Jane would write in Jane's writing style. I think going a step further and calling yourself Jane would be a bit creepy but chances are you wouldn't be replicating her perfectly anyway so you'd wind up with a mixture of Jane and you and that might be acceptable?

I think the more...unremarkable...the persona, the better luck you'll have with this. If you pick someone like Gollum and every post was lyyncccccch my preciouusssssss then I think people would get annoyed with it pretty quickly but if you post as "My classmate Anne who just always seems to have it together even though they're probably just as unhappy with their life as I am but it doesn't show because I don't know them all that well" or "my neighbour Jo who is really down to earth and practical and knows a lot about carpentry" or "a combination of that gymnast I used to know who always managed to look happy even when she was crying and that bus driver who asked me if i'd forgotten something when I went back for my umbrella and I showed it to him and he said "oh, that's an important thing to have in times like these" and it felt like he was talking about so much more than the drizzle.

Nobody knows that you're not a bus driver from Belgrade who says profoundly deep things about umbrellas and if you don't post in a bright green font to signal to everybody that you are now posting as the Serbian public transportation oracle then I think you could get away with it.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”