Counterclaim immediately?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Counterclaim immediately?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:36 am

Post by BNL »

Let's say some guy gets driven to L-1 and claims Cop... but you know he is lying as you are the Cop. Obviously counterclaiming will (almost) nearly ensure a scum lynch.

But the question is, should you counterclaim
immediately
? Seemingly on this site yes, but I don't see the advantage to it. If you delay counterclaiming by one day, you get one more investigation, forcing scum to kill an otherwise scummy player (or even better: finding another scum). Also people will find it suspicious why the claimed PR wasn't killed, and yet someone else was.

Only time I'd say CCing immediately is good is LyLo (obviously), or day before LyLo (people may not believe your claim).
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:45 am

Post by Plotinus »

if you're not on the wagon, lolhammer him. if you are already on the wagon, counterclaim.

make sure you've crumbed your results in some manner so that if you're nightkilled, you won't be in trouble. Ways of doing that are putting your innocents at the top of your reads lists or expressing some level of paranoia about everyone except for your innocents.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:10 am

Post by Ether »

It depends on things like the size of the game and the utility of your role and whether you have any credibility. (If you're going to get run up in the next few days, then getting forced to counterclaim is gonna look pretty bad.) But for something like a cop in a 13-player game, I'd say more results are good and conventional wisdom is overrated.

Also, I hate the modding meta that there can't be two of any role, and the fact that it's so ubiquitous that changing it now would just randomly punish towns for no good reason. But that's for another time.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:32 am

Post by PokerFace »

I agree with Plotinus

A game needs to be run that contains 2 sane cops, 2 insane cops, 2 naive cops, 2 paranoid cops, 2 new kind of sanity or some kind i am forgetting cop, 1 mafia role cop (is told if cop he targets is sane or whatever), 1 Mafia role blocker, 1 goon. On death, cop sanity is not revealed
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:50 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 2, Ether wrote:It depends on things like the size of the game and the utility of your role and whether you have any credibility. (If you're going to get run up in the next few days, then getting forced to counterclaim is gonna look pretty bad.) But for something like a cop in a 13-player game, I'd say more results are good and conventional wisdom is overrated.

Also, I hate the modding meta that there can't be two of any role, and the fact that it's so ubiquitous that changing it now would just randomly punish towns for no good reason. But that's for another time.

Breaking mod meta in anything but large games is probably difficult because two of a particular role can be incredibly powerful. (2 sane cops in a mini for example.)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:37 am

Post by BROseidon »

Depends on context.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 am

Post by Ether »

Back in the day, I played a mini normal with one sane cop and one insane cop.

It worked out pretty well. The game's name was Cops and Robbers, so when the first cop claimed we realized that counterclaiming was a bad idea.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:49 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Three trackers. Two of them town. One of the scum. Let the games begin.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:09 am

Post by BROseidon »

Everyone is trackers GO!
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:15 am

Post by Plotinus »

BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:43 am

Post by BROseidon »

Why would you ever play that.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:10 am

Post by Plotinus »

My players seemed to enjoy it actually, and most of them signed up for the second run, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:18 am

Post by Plotinus »

I was a bodyguard in a game back in June, and I hated that game, I got into three dumb arguments with my friends during day 1 and it sucked and I was never gonna be the nightkill target and it was so nice to be able to win a trip to the dead thread just by guessing who would be nightkilled. It was my first time being nightkilled ever and my friends spent the rest of the game moping in the game thread and I spent the rest of the game moping in the dead thread but at least I didn't have to play it anymore.

If I were playing that setup, if I were having fun, I would no protect, but if it was one of those games where I just couldn't into it and I wasn't confident in my reads then I'd try to protect my biggest townread, or if I was feeling like someone would do better than me then I'd protect them.

Yarrrrgami
Yarrrrgami
Goon
Yarrrrgami
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:55 am

Post by Yarrrrgami »

In post 2, Ether wrote:...

Yar! That's why ye emblazon a big ol' message on yer port bow that reads "Thar can be multiple non-scurvy pirates with the same job on this vessel."

Sure, ye be pretty much confirmin' that thar be at least one duplicate matey, but that's just how the cookie be crumblin'.

If you're the sort of captain who doesn't swing that way, ye can just give your crew a couple of similar, but not clearly exclusive jobs, such as Jimmy the odd-night deck swabber and Jerry the 2-shot weak swabber.
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Post by UpTooLate »

I actually recently made this mistake in a newbie game that just ended. A widely scumread player claimed cop after I had crumbed it, I CC'd, and we lynched him. He flipped VT (that's another issue in itself) but then I was the NK. I almost immediately regretted it, because he was more than likely going to be lynched anyway, and I shouldn't have put myself out there like that. Oh well, you live and you learn. =)
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Post by Ether »

Kagami I know we have our differences but can we make swabbers an actual role?
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Yarrrrgami
Yarrrrgami
Goon
Yarrrrgami
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:08 pm

Post by Yarrrrgami »

Yar! With a couple jugs o' rum, anything is possible!
Yarrrrgami
Yarrrrgami
Goon
Yarrrrgami
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Post by Yarrrrgami »

But for clarity, let's call him a Swabcop.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 0, BNL wrote:Let's say some guy gets driven to L-1 and claims Cop... but you know he is lying as you are the Cop. Obviously counterclaiming will (almost) nearly ensure a scum lynch.

But the question is, should you counterclaim
immediately
? Seemingly on this site yes, but I don't see the advantage to it. If you delay counterclaiming by one day, you get one more investigation, forcing scum to kill an otherwise scummy player (or even better: finding another scum). Also people will find it suspicious why the claimed PR wasn't killed, and yet someone else was.

Only time I'd say CCing immediately is good is LyLo (obviously), or day before LyLo (people may not believe your claim).

I would try to subtly counterclaim, by saying there's no way the claim is true and drop massive hints, doubly so if the game is normal.

If janitors are in the game, outright cc.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Post by Kagami »

In post 18, Titus wrote:I would try to subtly counterclaim, by saying there's no way the claim is true and drop massive hints, doubly so if the game is normal.

If janitors are in the game, outright cc.

The problem with this is that any hint you drop is going to be picked up by the scumteam with 99% certainty. It will be completely obvious to them that you're suddenly saying things related to what they know to be a fake-claim and for which they're expecting a counterclaim.

Meanwhile, town is in the dark, and scum has the initiative to exploit the difference in information. They can roleblock you for the rest of the game, casting doubt on your eventual CC. They can pretend to have performed some Night action revealing that the claimant is scum, pre-empting the CC. A one-shot janitor, which you wouldn't know about, would be disastrous as well.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:46 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 14, UpTooLate wrote:I actually recently made this mistake in a newbie game that just ended. A widely scumread player claimed cop after I had crumbed it, I CC'd, and we lynched him. He flipped VT (that's another issue in itself) but then I was the NK. I almost immediately regretted it, because he was more than likely going to be lynched anyway, and I shouldn't have put myself out there like that. Oh well, you live and you learn. =)

Sorry about that.

We knew he was town too :(
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Post by UpTooLate »

In post 20, RadiantCowbells wrote:Sorry about that.

We knew he was town too

Butthead.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 13, Yarrrrgami wrote:Yar! That's why ye emblazon a big ol' message on yer port bow that reads "Thar can be multiple non-scurvy pirates with the same job on this vessel."

Sure, ye be pretty much confirmin' that thar be at least one duplicate matey, but that's just how the cookie be crumblin'.

it wouldn't confirm anything if you made a habit of writing a (mostly) all-encompassing message containing standard disclaimers that should apply in any game (which would include anything you don't want town thinking is the case because they're stupid, e.g. flavour related to roles, duplicate roles, etc)

then you (or anyone, if it became a standard for the site) can just refer back to it whenever you run a game (instead of, for example, only mentioning it when you include duplicate roles)
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:53 am

Post by pieguyn »

^I did that a while back by announcing the game was publicly singleball, but specifically clarified I was making no comment about any other (third-party) alignments. everyone assumed it meant I put an SK in the game. in reality I did it for exactly that reason, to make a habit of announcing singleball vs. multiball in all of my games without revealing anything else about the setup, and the game was pure town vs. mafia with no third parties... lolol

on the topic of the OP, it depends. I could probably think of some situations where it would make sense. usually I just prioritize lynching scum over anything else, though, so I would CC in the absence of another viable lynch I feel strongly would flip scum.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:58 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

In my first newbie game I was advised to hold off on counter claiming until day 2 dawned.

I think that might have been partly because the IC was the other power role and he'd picked up on my crumb, and therefore wanted to see what the fake claim would produce.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”