Versatility

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Versatility

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:03 pm

Post by Killthestory »

Wassup my dudes. I wanted to talk about the one of the most important concepts of mafia, along with how you socialize people. Versatility. This is what sets apart the good players from the bad seeing as anybody can play like a generic townie, maybe they form a plan for how they play, who knows. However, any experienced mafia player knows that a game will 99 percent of the time never go how you want it to go. You're scumreads will be wrong a lot of the time. Maybe you pushed too hard on a single person who now just confirmed themselves as town. Maybe you're being death-tunneled by a player who refuses to see reason. Whatever it is, you need to know how to deal with any situation that comes up. You can't respond to any situation the same, however. Once again, that level of versatility. Some players will never be able to be able to think on their feet, it's more of a how your brain works type thing or whatever. Don't quote me on this, I just know that if you can't really be versatile, mafia isn't for you.

Versatility is in relativity to how you think. If you can only think one way, you aren't versatile. Versatile players are open to all perspectives and minds, and they will read players and actions unbiasedly. They aren't stubborn in their reads, and they can always progress their reads through exchanges or interactions. Of course, this clearly isn't the direct definition of versatility, but for mafia, it's mine. Versatile players are often the best scumreaders in mafia because they can take one of their scumreads, and they can quickly progress the read to town should they need to. If said player does jump to town, it's more than likely they're right, too, judging off of what they chose to jump to town for, anyway. Remaining open to all perspectives is one of the most important aspects of scumreading because every single experienced player has thought a player was scum, and they mislynched a townie. It's quite literally happened to every single player I've ever come to know and respect.

There's also the fact of when you're in a bad situation. Let's say you're currently a wagon at L-2, and you're most likely that day's lynch. At that point, panic will only get you closer to the noose. To be versatile in this situation, you should know how to deal with it appropriately. Now, there's far too many scenarios to be able to tell you how exactly to deal with these situations, but I can tell you a general basis. How has the game been going? How has it progessed? Why did you act as you did? Explain your actions coherently and intelligently. Who are your top scumreads? You should deal with this issues each in a well manner, and you will start to understand how to deal with situations such as this better. Versatility can come with experience, but to learn more about it, you must first learn to be completely open minded to all possibilities.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”