The ZombiePost - A Theoretical Target Claiming strategy

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

The ZombiePost - A Theoretical Target Claiming strategy

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:57 am

Post by camn »

Anybody ever play with hypothetical or random targets as a way to communicate results?
I have been thinking about it lately and I think it's a reasonable strategy....but maybe I am missing something. This seems like a reasonable test area to air it out. Or maybe it's been done and I just forgot.

It goes like this.

At the start of the day, everyone dicerolls to choose a player, and cointosses to choose a result AND does another diceroll..and they write this IN SPOILERS:

"If I were a power role, I would have targeted [dicerollplayer], and my result was [coinflipresult] or [diceroll2player]"

I call this the ZombiePost, as it only means anything after I die.

The coinflipresult options be [guilty, not guilty, no result]
The diceroll1 should not include yourself, and diceroll2 should include yourself, but not the result of diceroll1. Bot should include live players last night.

Obviously... If you REALLY WERE a power role, you should insert real values where applicable, and random values where not applicable...if you had results worth talking about....but if you were a vig or something, those results are not worth talking about, and you would randomize.
Really this is for trackers/watchers/docs/cops/jailkeepers/etc.

Then...if you die and flip.. Your night play will be suddenly clear to see.
The randomization precludes a shitload of speculation about "why would you have targeted soandso!" And also precludes and scum tipoffs.
Of course we would all have to recognise that PUNISHING or PRESSURING players based on their hypo-targets is totally akin to rolefishing, and as such scummy and anti-town. We would not speak of it until that player was dead. Thus the name. Ideally, no one even READS it until that player is dead.

What do you think? Is this a terrible idea that totally helps scum and I am just not seeing it? Or is it as awesome as I think it is?
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:02 am

Post by camn »

It would look like this:

Spoiler: my ZombiePost
If I were a PR, I targeted RadiantCowbells and I got GUILTY, or Katsuki

That would mean the following:
If I am a cop, I got GUILTY on RC...Katz was random
If I am a tracker, RC visited Katz...the guilty was random
If I am a Watcher, Katz visited RC...again the guilty was random
If I am a doc, JKeeper or RBlocker, I protected/kept/blocked RC...and the guilty and Katz came from randomization

You can see it's mad data with no risk.
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:05 am

Post by camn »

Heck, to make it more cryptic, you could just write the data.

Spoiler: my ZombiePost
RadiantCowbells: Guilty: Katsuki

I really think this alone would elevate townplay site wide.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:10 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

This is called hypoing.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:16 am

Post by camn »

Whenever I "hypo" d in the past... It wasn't strict. It wasn't randomly selected, and it was often a huge distraction.

Is it still?
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

No provable randomness
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 5, Cheery Dog wrote:No provable randomness

If provable randomness was used in this strategy I don't think it would work.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Post by Ether »

Normal hypocop just makes it easy for scum to pin down who doesn't have a power role. It's not a very good strategy.

This has the same problem. Randomized results are even worse, because they're less likely to mirror your play, and therefore more likely to out you as not having the roles you're talking about.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Post by camn »

Ihmm. The mirroring your play thing might be a thing.
Although since the role is not commented in. I wonder. My playstyle might cause me to protect one person vs roleblock another vs track another vs whatever else another.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

On MafiaUniverse they have this thing called Cop Cover where everyone claims a hypothetical Cop innocent. You don't do it immediately because you want to be sure your Town check is actually Town. It allows a Cop to leave clear results if they die and provides a screen for the Cop from the scum like your idea. I don't know if they would do it for other roles though.

The main weakness to this is that if a player claims an innocent on a scum player, the scum can immediately rule them out as a Cop, and can potentially find the Cop through PoE. On the other hand, if a player is killed N1 and flips VT, their innocent can typically be assumed to be Town.

Of course most of the playerlist has to be using this method. MafiaUniverse has a site meta like that, and I think they also run a lot of games where the setup is all vanilla except for the cop. It'd be rare to get in a game where you could do something like this, and even when you did you'd have to explain the tactic and convince everyone to go with it.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Alchemist you play on mafiauniverse!?!?!?!?
ANd you never said hi to me there?
Rude.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

I haven't played there in a while.
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Post by camn »

In post 9, Alchemist21 wrote:The main weakness to this is that if a player claims an innocent on a scum player, the scum can immediately rule them out as a Cop,

This is a really good point.
If the randomness generates a result scum knows to be false, it proves vanilla.
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Post by camn »

Well, that's that then. This strategy is broken.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

hypoclaiming works when you know certain roles are in the game; e.g. weak roles in opens, you have everyone hypoclaim the day before

but outside of that, there's no strategy for this sort of thing that doesn't benefit scum - and that isn't foolproof either, but it at least gives you information in the event of a death and means the real role doesn't need to make it obvious when they crumb
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:41 am

Post by kuribo »

Shoot them anyway, implicating their fake target.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:58 am

Post by BROseidon »

This works best in Opens.

Especially Hard-Boiled, except you pre-select because lol hider.
Egg
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Egg
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Post by Egg »

I've suggested hypos before and they always get shot down. I really love the concept though. The only downside I see to doing it your way is if you randomly roll guilty on someone and then don't tunnel them that day, it shows scum you weren't an investigative and narrows their pool. Even going randomly, if you show suspicion towards your innocents, it can do the same thing. It works slightly better if you allow people to insert their own names and results and try to only use town results. If you have a town read you're reasonably sure you won't be pursuing as scum and you haven't expressed that read a whole lot, they are the perfect hypothetical innocent. I'm pretty sure I've only ever suggested doing it in open setups. Not sure I've even seen it tried in a closed.
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:29 am

Post by itlepip »

I am of the opinion that certain results (confirmed town) should always be obvious post flip by some sort of soft throughout the day, and confirmed mafia should always be claimed that day.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I wanted to comment on this thread a while ago, but I was in an ongoing game where this was relevant (Newbie 1688), so I decided to stay silent until the game was over.

In the game in question, after a no-kill day 1, people hypoclaimed Doc and JK targets. As it happened, this helped out town a lot; it
might
have helped scum locate the doctor but they'd probably have killed that slot otherwise, but on the other hand it confirmed one player as town and another as scum. (I was quite surprised, upon replacing in, to discover that I was confirmed town and someone had counterclaimed me.)

That said, I'm sceptical about hypothetically claiming targets for particular roles working in general, because it narrows down PRs a lot for scum; we might just have got lucky.

One version of this I thought of a while ago to stop this problem is for, every day, everyone to claim their targets either for the next day or the previous day, choosing which makes more sense based on their role. If they're a VT, they don't randomize, but rather come up with a fake power role that they could have and claim which targets they'd use the role on if they had it (while admitting they're a VT if it comes to direct claims). This might also help in scumhunting, because you can see where someone would have targeted a particular action (when VTs claim, they should claim which role they were faking with their hypoclaims).

That runs the risk of scum figuring out the hypoclaimed roles and using it to narrow down who could be a power role, though. So I thought of an alternative, which is kind-of the opposite of camn's suggestion: everyone claims day 1, but each claim has two possibilities, a specific power role or VT. Additionally, any details (modifiers, etc.) are ignored/glossed over. So if you were a 1-shot Cop, you'd say "I'm either a Cop or VT". A VT or full Cop could say exactly the same thing. The main disadvantage is that it makes breadcrumbing results/targets a little harder as scum are more likely to catch the crumbs prior to the flip. It also might need tweaking to deal with roles like Bulletproof. (Miller should probably still be hardclaimed, to avoid issues in which scum claim VT-fakeclaiming-Miller.) The benefit of this approach is that it makes fakeclaiming much harder for scum, as they have to plan out any non-VT fakeclaim from the start of day 1.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2016 2:29 am

In post 19, callforjudgement wrote:I wanted to comment on this thread a while ago, but I was in an ongoing game where this was relevant (Newbie 1688), so I decided to stay silent until the game was over.

In the game in question, after a no-kill day 1, people hypoclaimed Doc and JK targets. As it happened, this helped out town a lot; it
might
have helped scum locate the doctor but they'd probably have killed that slot otherwise, but on the other hand it confirmed one player as town and another as scum. (I was quite surprised, upon replacing in, to discover that I was confirmed town and someone had counterclaimed me.)

That said, I'm sceptical about hypothetically claiming targets for particular roles working in general, because it narrows down PRs a lot for scum; we might just have got lucky.

One version of this I thought of a while ago to stop this problem is for, every day, everyone to claim their targets either for the next day or the previous day, choosing which makes more sense based on their role. If they're a VT, they don't randomize, but rather come up with a fake power role that they could have and claim which targets they'd use the role on if they had it (while admitting they're a VT if it comes to direct claims). This might also help in scumhunting, because you can see where someone would have targeted a particular action (when VTs claim, they should claim which role they were faking with their hypoclaims).

That runs the risk of scum figuring out the hypoclaimed roles and using it to narrow down who could be a power role, though. So I thought of an alternative, which is kind-of the opposite of camn's suggestion: everyone claims day 1, but each claim has two possibilities, a specific power role or VT. Additionally, any details (modifiers, etc.) are ignored/glossed over. So if you were a 1-shot Cop, you'd say "I'm either a Cop or VT". A VT or full Cop could say exactly the same thing. The main disadvantage is that it makes breadcrumbing results/targets a little harder as scum are more likely to catch the crumbs prior to the flip. It also might need tweaking to deal with roles like Bulletproof. (Miller should probably still be hardclaimed, to avoid issues in which scum claim VT-fakeclaiming-Miller.) The benefit of this approach is that it makes fakeclaiming much harder for scum, as they have to plan out any non-VT fakeclaim from the start of day 1.
WTF

THIS DID NOT HELP TOWN A LOT.

DID WE PLAY THE SAME GAME?
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2016 2:31 am

Literally the hypo in the game you were referring tow as a scum ploy to out the doc since the save was not a likely protect target and was pushed solely by the two mafiosos.

And no, they wouldn't necessarily have killed that slot otherwise: I had the scumteam pretty much pinned, I would have townread UTL, and I probably wouldn't have rushed the lynch I did if I weren't irate about being locked into a one day timer.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2016 2:31 am

Literally the hypo in the game you were referring tow as a scum ploy to out the doc since the save was not a likely protect target and was pushed solely by the two mafiosos.

And no, they wouldn't necessarily have killed that slot otherwise: I had the scumteam pretty much pinned, I would have townread UTL, and I probably wouldn't have rushed the lynch I did if I weren't irate about being locked into a one day timer.
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2016 3:01 am

Post by itlepip »

Just fake claim from time to time.
Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.

"Show him the fucking bread"
-Ether June 12, 2016, at 11:14 pm EST
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2016 7:25 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 22, RadiantCowbells wrote:Literally the hypo in the game you were referring tow as a scum ploy to out the doc since the save was not a likely protect target and was pushed solely by the two mafiosos.

Did you read the scum QT? It's open.

They did figure out your slot was the doctor, but were considering not killing it anyway. When you replaced in, they killed you because they were afraid of your reads. (Also, why do you think having the scumteam pinned makes you
more
likely to survive?)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”