RVS

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

RVS

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Post by Killthestory »

It actually seems RVS is really disliked here. It's actually honestly one of my favorite game periods along with day 1 being my favorite day. Personally, I've never actually used RVS outside this site, so all my experience is from here. However, I can safely say that when there was no RVS, it was extremely boring. People were just shitposting, and then eventually we all got serious. Once we were serious, it was just even more boring. Questions, just general thoughts, a bit of scumhunting. It wasn't until someone said something scummy or a huge argument happened in which anything good happened. It also didn't help anything game wise without RVS. Probably from a biased perspective here, but RVS just seems so good in so many ways.

As an enjoyment factor, RVS actually is pretty enjoyable. Even someone as toxic and a salt cesspool in general, I still have to comment that RVS provides great ways to introduce yourself to someone you've never played with before, and it showcases a bit of your personality to the rest of the game in an early post. It's also a nice way to joke around with friends for a little bit, and it's just better than completely boring and stale shitposting. If enjoyment is a major for you since you play mafia for just that reason, RVS isn't part of the problem.

Now let's actually get into game-state. Game-state wise, it actually is detriment to my reads. I use RVS to gauge people's personalities, as previously mentioned. If I can get a feel for someone, their personality, their playstyle, I can effectively read them often. I won't give a percent because it'll either make my point not go through, or it'll make me look like the egotistical asshole I am. On a serious note, being able to get a true feel for someone, it's much easier to be able to read them. I look for tone, and the underlying meaning. Being able to gauge people really helps with this, especially when it comes to tone. If I can figure out whether someone's a VI, (and when I say this, I mean no offense) I can see that some silly posts they may say actually come from their normal townset. Not naming any specific games, but a few players might have known my very outright and firm reads on controversial players. Tone is much more consistent than taking buzzwords, and then using them to identify what is scummy and what isn't. I'll get into that later, but yeah, very useful for me early game.

There's also the fact that your scumreads are better D1 than any other day. You can try and argue this with me, but some would say "I'm married to this idea." It simply is. There is no need for discussion there. When you're getting a feel for someone, and you detect something that really pings you as off, you call it out day 1. Due to the amount of information that's causing confirmed biases later on in the day, you're not going to feel as strongly as something whereas you will day 1. Same applies to gutreads and the such as well. I've seen multiple RVS pickups that we're scummy, and they were true. The same can be said of mislynches, but I feel it's much more often that you get a good lynch off someone if you pick them up during RVS, and you're not basing it off bullshit reasoning. This is coming only from a personal experience and perspective. I could easily be wrong on that information, but the content I'm providing is still the same. RVS just gives you those good or bad vibes on posts that you really get no where else.

In general, it's just a much more efficient way of getting into a game. It's the general ice-breaker that allows you to get a feel for someone and to be able to play successfully later on. When people take this opportunity for granted, they don't realize the amount of information they're throwing away. Just a little thing to consider when you're starting a game.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 0, Killthestory wrote:the fact that your scumreads are better D1 than any other day

no
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Post by Killthestory »

In post 1, zMuffinMan wrote:
In post 0, Killthestory wrote:the fact that your scumreads are better D1 than any other day

no

I said this was indisputable. It simply is true. Gutreads are by far the most accurate Day 1, and when you're making logical cases, Day 1 you can be the least biased and have the best reads.
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Post by Zulfy »

The most genuine reads maybe.
Not the most accurate.

Anyway I've decided that if ever an RVS reaches L1 it's my duty to hammer.
Mostly because such a thing seems like it would be scum-driven and anything that rocks the scum's boat is a good thing.
no investigation no right to speak
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

^Do you want to get autolynched? Because that's how you get autolynched.

Seriously though, don't hammer an RVS wagon to rock scum's boat. Hammering a scum-driven wagon just means doing what scum want you to do and if it's an RVS wagon you're cutting the Town off from having any productive discussion and information on D1.
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Post by Zulfy »

Last time it happened the lynchee flipped scum.
I'd say if they flip scum I just became conftown.
Which means scum now has to deal with an obvious NK target.
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Post by Zulfy »

Also, I'd hammer on the assumption that scum
don't
want that wagon lynched. Because when that person gets to L2 or L1 folks would be like "ok ok let's get serious here" and naturally move on to someone else.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Post by Killthestory »

lol that sounds like a great strategy. im going to start doing that.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:05 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

the day it becomes common to do something like that (especially with that reasoning) is the day i quit mafia for good
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:08 pm

Post by Killthestory »

In post 8, zMuffinMan wrote:the day it becomes common to do something like that (especially with that reasoning) is the day i quit mafia for good

well then bye bro, it was nice knowing you tbh
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Post by Zulfy »

In post 8, zMuffinMan wrote:the day it becomes common to do something like that (especially with that reasoning) is the day i quit mafia for good

Whats wrong with the reasoning?
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

none of what you said is true (except for the fact that IF they flip scum then the person hammering likely isn't scum)
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Post by Killthestory »

im still hammering anyway because that sounds hilarious
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:11 am

Post by kuribo »

During my first two years on this site, every single RVS vote I posted eventually flipped scum.

Yet, even I know that means exactly jack shit.

You can't say your scum hunting is better in RVS. You're basing it on little to no posts. How can you gut read what isn't there? It's a step above fucking guessing.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:20 am

Post by Killthestory »

In post 13, kuribo wrote:During my first two years on this site, every single RVS vote I posted eventually flipped scum.

You can't say your scum hunting is better in RVS. You're basing it on little to no posts. How can you gut read what isn't there? It's a step above fucking guessing.

No lmfao. Guessing is taking a random ass number and voting it. This is just getting a feel for player's. Obviously you're clearly not going to get a serious fucking gutread on a silly post, but it's that transition from silly to serious where it gets good. Wagons being formed, lots of votes, easy to get a feel for more than just one person.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:39 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

no

and i imagine this is a case of remembering all the times you were right and forgetting all the times you were wrong, or having a scenario like kuribo's where you just got lucky... or you're talking out of your ass, which is also entirely possible

i don't believe "gut" reads are anything other than a. a random guess that you've tricked yourself into thinking is "intuition" or "gut" (e.g. you had a feeling the die was gonna land on 6 and it did!), or b. something really weak that isn't "gut" at all but you're calling it gut rather than explaining how weak it is
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:42 am

Post by Killthestory »

If you have a mind set like that I cant help you. You're too far gone.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

im not seeking your help and, honestly, anyone who does want your help probably needs serious help themselves
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:45 am

Post by Killthestory »

I can't take you seriously after you said gutreads were guesses. Like honestly, don't join any of my games with that mindset. Please. That is the most ridiculous shit I've heard.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

it is possible to pick up on subconscious cues in real life that you cannot explain because you cannot relive the events of real life and determine where the cue came from

that doesn't apply to forum mafia where anything that actually does that, you can review and understand where it came from (if you're not a dumb fuck)

and your subconscious can play tricks on you

there is no such thing as a gut read in forum mafia
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:08 am

Post by Kagami »

I don't know why you keep entertaining this, zmuffo. Let him post his silliness.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:37 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 14, Killthestory wrote:
In post 13, kuribo wrote:During my first two years on this site, every single RVS vote I posted eventually flipped scum.

No lmfao. Guessing is taking a random ass number and voting it. This is just getting a feel for player's. Obviously you're clearly not going to get a serious fucking gutread on a silly post, but it's that transition from silly to serious where it gets good. Wagons being formed, lots of votes, easy to get a feel for more than just one person.

By all means, explain to me in your infinite newbie wisdom, how wagons work. Please do it in the most condescending fashion possible, as well.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:54 am

Post by Killthestory »

In post 21, kuribo wrote:
In post 14, Killthestory wrote:

By all means, explain to me in your infinite newbie wisdom, how wagons work. Please do it in the most condescending fashion possible, as well.

sure. I'm right you're wrong. I believe this is what you were asking for.

Anyway, this is sad. Really sad. Like I can't even argue anymore because people don't even understand the fundamentals.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:19 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 22, Killthestory wrote:sure. I'm right you're wrong. I believe this is what you were asking for.

Anyway, this is sad. Really sad. Like I can't even argue anymore because people don't even understand the fundamentals.

*I* don't understand the fundamentals? *I* don't?

I was literally LITERALLY responding to something YOU SAID IN THIS VERY THREAD.

In post 0, Killthestory wrote:There's also the fact that your scumreads are better D1 than any other day. You can try and argue this with me, but some would say "I'm married to this idea." It simply is.

That is something YOU SAID that I responded to, which BY THE FUCKING WAY is so completely back-asswards I'm surprised it wasn't written by UberNinja.

You took something that was said and turned into some smarmy-ass shitty-ass condescending remark about "oh well, RVS leads to wagons" NO FUCKING SHIT SHERLOCK

Instead of fucking posting mafia theory as if you've just got it all figured out, how bout you actually LISTEN when people with FAR MORE AND FAR BETTER EXPERIENCE than you say "Hey, man, you're wrong?"

And then to get condescending to me? I don't understand the fundamentals? You're so fucking below the fundamentals, you don't even have a role PM in it yet. Do you even realize what the percentage of Day 1 scum lynches is? I don't, but I'll tell you: REALLY REALLY FUCKING LOW. Day 1 is almost always a fucking wash, because there's less content for people to review and get their reads on. IT'S COMMON FUCKING SENSE, and for you to claim reads are best on day one is so wrong, I can't even begin to fucking dispute it without whipping out my dick! Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

The fundamentals. For fuck's sake.

Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:20 am

Post by Killthestory »

that is hilarious.

Thank you for your contribution to my saved copypastas

Return to “Mafia Discussion”