RVS

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 am

Post by kuribo »

geez is that all it takes

i mean, thats pretty tame for me, i didn't even mention wanting to pee on you or seal you into a steel orb at the bottom of the sea, or threaten to steal your soul or anything

i mean

if that's what you consider pastaworthy, you really ain't seen shit in your time on this site
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:28 am

Post by Killthestory »

oh shit wait can you make something like that for me, like honestly? I'm in need for copypastas right now, short supply on dank memes. I'd be on your debt
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:30 am

Post by kuribo »

nah but if we ever end up in a game together maybe i'll draw you a picture of me pissing fire on you like i did for Llamarble

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 19, zMuffinMan wrote:it is possible to pick up on subconscious cues in real life that you cannot explain because you cannot relive the events of real life and determine where the cue came from

that doesn't apply to forum mafia where anything that actually does that, you can review and understand where it came from (if you're not a dumb fuck)

and your subconscious can play tricks on you

there is no such thing as a gut read in forum mafia

this assumes everyone plays perfectly

which uh
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:20 pm

Post by Katsuki »

RVS and early D1 are often times the best time for scumhunting.

Also gut is probably one of the best scumhunting tools possible.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:08 pm

Post by beeboy »

In post 3, Zulfy wrote:The most genuine reads maybe.
Not the most accurate.

Anyway I've decided that if ever an RVS reaches L1 it's my duty to hammer.
Mostly because such a thing seems like it would be scum-driven and anything that rocks the scum's boat is a good thing.

I think we would be a good pair because I do anything in my power to get RVS wagons to L-1
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 28, BBmolla wrote:
In post 19, zMuffinMan wrote:it is possible to pick up on subconscious cues in real life that you cannot explain because you cannot relive the events of real life and determine where the cue came from

that doesn't apply to forum mafia where anything that actually does that, you can review and understand where it came from (if you're not a dumb fuck)

which uh

no

it assumes that people aren't stupid

if you get a "gut" read on someone and you can't point to what posts, what sentences or even what words made you feel that way, then either you're kidding yourself or you're just not trying

unless you mean some people might get a "gut" read and choose not to elaborate on it even when asked about it, in which case *shrug* they're probably the sort of person who should be ignored for the entirety of the game until it comes time to lynch them (because they sure as fuck aren't getting night-killed)
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:58 am

Post by Majiffy »

The only things RVS is good for are snap reads off quick wagons and late game VCA for associatives.

Wagon hard, wagon often, and watch for the reasons
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:06 am

Post by Zulfy »

u dont even play get out
no investigation no right to speak
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 31, zMuffinMan wrote:
In post 28, BBmolla wrote:

which uh

no

it assumes that people aren't stupid

if you get a "gut" read on someone and you can't point to what posts, what sentences or even what words made you feel that way, then either you're kidding yourself or you're just not trying

unless you mean some people might get a "gut" read and choose not to elaborate on it even when asked about it, in which case *shrug* they're probably the sort of person who should be ignored for the entirety of the game until it comes time to lynch them (because they sure as fuck aren't getting night-killed)

"Gut" means different things to different people. When some people say "gut" they just mean they have a random hunch, whereas others use "gut" to mean that they don't like some of the posts a player has made but can't pinpoint and/or articulate why properly.

In post 29, Katsuki wrote:Also gut is probably one of the best scumhunting tools possible.

Really depends on the player. And it's very easy to overestimate your gut because of hindsight bias.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 33, Zulfy wrote:u dont even play get out

The Mafiascum CommunityTM decided it was unfair for a player of my skillset to continue schooling n00bz lyke u

||
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Post by Killthestory »

In post 27, kuribo wrote:nah but if we ever end up in a game together maybe i'll draw you a picture of me pissing fire on you like i did for Llamarble

If you did that for me then I would literally love you forever
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:43 am

Post by Accountant »

I came into this thread to shitpost about how RVS was my best source of reads.

Then I find that people have already done it unironically
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:01 am

Post by callforjudgement »

One of the things that annoys me about RVS is people being random for the sake of being random.

You certainly can have good reads day 1! But they happen after RVS is over and people are making "serious" votes and accusations, rather than random ones. RVS is just a way to transition into the position where people might potentially be serious. (Unless there's a good reason to do something else, and there rarely is, I try to always vote my top scumread as town. This is even true during day 1. You don't have much information to go on, but anything is better than nothing, or random.)

Trying to do anything in RVS but cause it to end as quickly as quickly as possible is a bad thing, though. (I've actually been considering ways to end it earlier and thus give town a more informative D1. I think you'd have to do something very grandstandy, not sure what yet though. Possibly claiming, if you have a role that's even potentially beneficial to claim. That said I feel that people normally push for individual claims early but massclaim late, and I wouldn't really want to be a part of that.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:06 am

Post by Majiffy »

Kuribo you should play with me on my offsite sometime, I miss having a good yelling match

||
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:40 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 38, callforjudgement wrote:One of the things that annoys me about RVS is people being random for the sake of being random.

You certainly can have good reads day 1! But they happen after RVS is over and people are making "serious" votes and accusations, rather than random ones. RVS is just a way to transition into the position where people might potentially be serious. (Unless there's a good reason to do something else, and there rarely is, I try to always vote my top scumread as town. This is even true during day 1. You don't have much information to go on, but anything is better than nothing, or random.)

Trying to do anything in RVS but cause it to end as quickly as quickly as possible is a bad thing, though. (I've actually been considering ways to end it earlier and thus give town a more informative D1. I think you'd have to do something very grandstandy, not sure what yet though. Possibly claiming, if you have a role that's even potentially beneficial to claim. That said I feel that people normally push for individual claims early but massclaim late, and I wouldn't really want to be a part of that.)

I typically end RVS with my first post that has any content(that is, my first post that isn't a /confirm) but it's usually with a wide net cast about setup spec and public information and mechanics for the game I'm playing. It's not something that works outside of theme games with crazy mechanics or opens with lots of roles. I suppose sometimes you can also go to end RVS by doing the inverse of it and picking players you enjoy working with and simply assuming their town and work to solve the game immediately. That'll certainly get a lot of attention off the stupid rvs and into the things that really matter.

You could also fake claim miller/ascetic/some other negative modifier that people should always claim as early as possible. Every game. :P No counterclaim risk/loss to town, because millers should ALWAYS be claiming as early as possible D1, and it'll get people talking about something game relevant. ^^

Of course, this might get you lynched when you tell the game you're not actually a miller. :D
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:48 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 40, Cerberus v666 wrote:You could also fake claim miller/ascetic/some other negative modifier that people should always claim as early as possible. Every game. :P No counterclaim risk/loss to town, because millers should ALWAYS be claiming as early as possible D1, and it'll get people talking about something game relevant. ^^

Of course, this might get you lynched when you tell the game you're not actually a miller. :D

If you ever get in a situation where you fakeclaim miller, why would you ever take back the claim?

The only potential downside is that you get investigated or something. (Which indicates you're town anyway?)
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:11 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 41, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 40, Cerberus v666 wrote:You could also fake claim miller/ascetic/some other negative modifier that people should always claim as early as possible. Every game. :P No counterclaim risk/loss to town, because millers should ALWAYS be claiming as early as possible D1, and it'll get people talking about something game relevant. ^^

If you ever get in a situation where you fakeclaim miller, why would you ever take back the claim?

The only potential downside is that you get investigated or something. (Which indicates you're town anyway?)

Valid point. I suppose you might get rolecopped, but as long as you're just claiming alignment miller, rather than universal miller, you won't confuse any investigative results...and I guess you'd also be helping narrow the pool of slots alignment cops should be checking out(though making it more likely that a role cop would check you). Only reason to claim is if people start pulling out setup spec stuff and dismissing possibilities because "x is a miller whatever and that doesn't make sense with this other stuff".

So yeah. Hmm. All upside! Always claim miller!
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:22 am

Post by Zachrulez »

I mean I'm questing from the perspective of already pulling off the fakeclaim as town. Fakeclaiming miller is pretty perilous as it makes town really want to lynch you just for that fact alone.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:30 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 43, Zachrulez wrote:I mean I'm questing from the perspective of already pulling off the fakeclaim as town. Fakeclaiming miller is pretty perilous as it makes town really want to lynch you just for that fact alone.

I disagree. If your first post of the game is "I'm a miller." like 40% of the game AT LEAST is going to consider you practically conftown. If a miller CC comes up, depending on the mod, I would expect a majority of the game to immediately want to lynch you. When the game gets close to lylo(because scum aren't going to shoot the miller claim(though a vig might), you COULD just cost the town the game at that point because they'll just lynch you for safety. So that's where the peril comes. Just claiming miller by itself will do more to get you townread rather than lynched in the early game imo.
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:58 am

Post by Zulfy »

In post 30, beeboy wrote:V

disappointed
no investigation no right to speak
WeCanSimplyBeOurselves
WeCanSimplyBeOurselves
Goon
WeCanSimplyBeOurselves
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2016 12:39 am

Post by WeCanSimplyBeOurselves »

Reading this thread I have decided I really like Kuribo.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon May 30, 2016 8:10 am

Post by kuribo »

Ew that's how people get cooties

Return to “Mafia Discussion”