I am opinionated about modding

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

I am opinionated about modding

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:06 am

Post by N »

I am green, so my opinions are better than yours.

Review

One reviewer ain't worth shit; you better have at least two or three.
Reviewers have got to sign off to your finished product, even if you're only made small changes since they last agreed it was aok. This is important!

Writing your roles and rules

Treat your players like they're stupid. Explain everything in detail.
Tell anyone with PTs you're going to release them after the game finishes; that way you don't have to wait around for a scum that was lynched day 1 to give you permission after the game is over.

Formatting your OP

Your first post should be pretty basic; just have the playerlist and lists of alive/dead (why do people have a seperate spoiler for modkills?? are you planning on modkilling people?).
Rules should go into your second post. Not only does this look neater, but it also shows players that you're not sneaky-sneaky editing the rules!
If you don't keep your OP up-to-date even after the game is over you are a bad mod, no exceptions.

Make a Mod PT

A Mod PT is to keep your backup mod informed of what's happening so if they have to take over, they don't have to contact all the players and go "uh... what actions have you done?"
You should be posting all replacements, night actions and communications with players in your mod pt. If you want to post other things too, go ahead, as long as the important things are still there!

Backup mods are different than co-mods

A co-mod is someone who is equally responsible for your game. If something goes wrong, both of you are in the shit.
A backup mod is there just in case, and will step in if you die or are otherwise unable to continue modding. Let them know what is going on.

Confirming

The point of making players confirm is to make sure they're read and understood their role. Protip: you can't do this by confirming in-thread.
Also, why do people keep track of who has confirmed in their OP? Put that in your Mod PT; no one else cares.

Votecounts

Try and put a votecount as near to the top of every page as possible, but that doesn't mean post four bumps at the bottom of the last page.
Post a votecount every page, or as often as possible; if you get online and your game is five posts from the bottom of the page and haven't posted a votecount for a few pages,
post a goddamn votecount
. If you have time to prod someone, you have time to post a votecount. It doesn't matter if no votes have changed; pages have increased and deadline has decreased.
Also try to post a votecount every day, even if there's already one on that page. This is so the players know you're alive and don't come to me worried you're dead.

Prodding

Be subjective about when to replace someone for inactivity. If someone is just prod-dodging, replace them - you don't have to wait for your magical three prods or whateverthefuck. Likewise, if someone has been in the game since the start and has just gotten their third prod on Day 6, you're an idiot to replace them.

Nights

If you wish to cut a night short, you need to have explicit permission
from all players
, not just those with night actions.

Finding replacements

The best way to avoid needing replacements is to vet your playerlist first. If there's someone there with a history of flaking, don't let them in.
When you do need replacements, though: don't go telling everyone why someone needs to be replaced. Your game is ongoing, genius; don't discuss it.

Mod communication

Be as brief as you can. The less you say, the less likely you are to say something you shouldn't. If you make a moderror, talk to your listmod before you do anything else.
if you're one of those mods that tries to recap everything that happened during the day in your deathscenes
what the hell is wrong with you

Don't modkill unless you absolutely have to

Modkills fuck up a game. Most of the time, players should be replaced instead of modkilled for doing dumb shit. There are some things that require a modkill, like publicly talking about the game or posting mod communication, but most things I see being modkilled for can usually be better dealt with by replacing the player.
Don't modkill if you can replace and keep game integrity.

Endgame

Don't forget to update your OP after the game finishes, or you're a bad mod no exceptions.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:10 am

Post by N »

don't fuck it up
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:21 am

Post by Firebringer »

I heard of ways to improve modding, but whats the difference between a decent mod, who just follows these instructions and a great mod?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Gorkington
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:23 am

Post by Gorkington »

try to recap everything that happened during the day in your deathscenes.
Gorkington
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:27 am

Post by Gorkington »

In post 0, N wrote:Try and put a votecount as near to the top of every page as possible, but that doesn't mean post four bumps at the bottom of the last page.
Post a votecount every page, or as often as possible; if you get online and your game is five posts from the bottom of the page and haven't posted a votecount for a few pages, post a goddamn votecount. If you have time to prod someone, you have time to post a votecount. It doesn't matter if no votes have changed; pages have increased and deadline has decreased.
Also try to post a votecount every day, even if there's already one on that page. This is so the players know you're alive and don't come to me worried you're dead.
is this even really plausible in something like a large theme?
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:30 am

Post by N »

In post 3, Gorkington wrote:try to recap everything that happened during the day in your deathscenes.

NO WRONG
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:31 am

Post by Antihero »

there are people that think back up mods are the same as co mods...?
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:37 am

Post by N »

I'm dropping a microphone don't ask me questions
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:37 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 6, Antihero wrote:there are people that think back up mods are the same as co mods...?

I always thought they were kind of same. Co mod is just more involved, Back up there if you know you are going to be V/LA or something.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:38 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 7, N wrote:I'm dropping a microphone don't ask me questions

Green has corrupted you.
Show

SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:40 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

I hope Psyche likes this thread
To be clear: quack
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:51 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Also, why do people keep track of who has confirmed in their OP? Put that in your Mod PT; no one else cares.

I care about this a lot, actually.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:55 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 5, N wrote:
In post 3, Gorkington wrote:try to recap everything that happened during the day in your deathscenes.

NO WRONG

Its almost as if some people play and mod the game for the flavor/role playing part of the game and not for the min-maxing pure game strategy part.

For these people this statement is as stupid as telling people playing arkham horror that the game would be better if they played it without any of the flavor.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:30 am

Post by N »

In post 12, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 5, N wrote:

NO WRONG

Its almost as if some people play and mod the game for the flavor/role playing part of the game and not for the min-maxing pure game strategy part.

For these people this statement is as stupid as telling people playing arkham horror that the game would be better if they played it without any of the flavor.

I'm not talking about flavor. I'm talking about shit like this:
"mm.. everyone seems to be fairly opinionated as to is the killer, can we come to a consensus?"
and... Silence... where did everyone go? no one had said anything all that's heard is
"IMPERIUM IS THE KILLER"
and then, two others decide to call her out for her lies, and say that she is the murderer.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:31 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

what's wrong with that?
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

"two others decide to call her out for her lies" can be read into, even if it wasn't meant to be read into
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:31 am

Post by Ircher »

Nice post, N!
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:48 am

Post by BNL »

In post 0, N wrote:
Confirming

The point of making players confirm is to make sure they're read and understood their role. Protip: you can't do this by confirming in-thread.

IIRC last to confirm was a scumtell?
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:19 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 15, zMuffinMan wrote:"two others decide to call her out for her lies" can be read into, even if it wasn't meant to be read into

In post 5, N wrote:

NO WRONG

MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:46 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

This should basically be stickied and made required reading for all players who want to be mods.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:02 am

Post by Plotinus »

Why should you list replacements in your mod PT? I always have the replacements in my post 0 in the public game thread with who replaced who, and I have an up to date playerlist in the post 0 of the scum PT as well with who replaced who.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:12 am

Post by Plotinus »

Also, I usually tell the scum that i'll release the PTs after 48 hours so they have time to object or ask for stuff to be deleted but we don't have to wait too long.

I have a rule in my ruleset that prod dodging doesn't reset the prod/replacement timer unless it contains game advancing content but i haven't figured out how much it helps yet. I added it in after a micro I modded where a bunch of town players did almost nothing but post once every 47 hours that they would catch up later.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:59 am

Post by Plotinus »

If someone's due for a prod in the middle of the night, is it okay to wait until you wake up at whenever you were going to wake up at to prod them? I always feel bad about being late on prods but I don't want to get up at 3am either.

zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:40 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 18, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 15, zMuffinMan wrote:"two others decide to call her out for her lies" can be read into, even if it wasn't meant to be read into

In post 5, N wrote:

NO WRONG

... your response has nothing to do with what i wrote

someone who recaps the events of the day in a way like that, with full knowledge of who is and isn't town/scum, is very likely to leave clues they didn't intend to leave

saying "some people like flavour" in response to that is fucking moronic
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:01 am

Post by Postie »

In post 0, N wrote:(why do people have a seperate spoiler for modkills?? are you planning on modkilling people?).

I never understood this. Like, can you not just put them in the dead spoiler?
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”