I am opinionated about modding

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 am

Post by Psyche »

the only mod mistake i hate is failure to update the op by the end of the game
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:38 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 124, zMuffinMan wrote:
In post 122, Davsto wrote:As someone reading it, I'm perfectly happy just to scroll down the mod's ISO to the endgame post or the mod thread where all of the info is, because I'm not so lazy that I'll give up if it isn't in the OP.

then why update anything at all? the information is there for anyone who wants to find it. further, why format anything? make it all plain text and people will find it if they're not lazy

Oh yeah, because that isn't a total inflammation of the argument past its logical conclusion to attack a point that doesn't exist or anything

:roll:
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:40 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

it isn't, though

edit: is the point you're making not "the information is already available as long as they're not too lazy to search for it"?
Last edited by zMuffinMan on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:41 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

There's no reason not to update an OP after a game, it's part of your job as a mod
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:42 am

Post by Psyche »

do it or i and others will secretly hate you
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:57 am

Post by Plotinus »

dav, they're not saying you're a bad mod. they're saying "here are some things you can do next time to be a better mod".

i've taken some advice from this thread too and started doing some things i wasn't doing before, like putting links to game events. I never really use them in games that I play, but it doesn't take so much time to include links to when replacements happened and when days ended/began.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:07 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 130, Plotinus wrote:dav, they're not saying you're a bad mod.

In post 119, Equinox wrote:you're a bad moderator; no exceptions.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:11 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 122, Davsto wrote:As someone reading it, I'm perfectly happy just to scroll down the mod's ISO to the endgame post or the mod thread where all of the info is, because I'm not so lazy that I'll give up if it isn't in the OP.

Updating the OP makes it a lot easier for people who are later researching meta, and it only takes a few minutes to do it.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:15 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 131, Davsto wrote:

Most mods who don't do it don't do it out of sheer laziness, I imagine that's who that's directed at, I've not heard a mod who didn't realise this was a thing before.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:16 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 0, N wrote:Votecounts
Try and put a votecount as near to the top of every page as possible, but that doesn't mean post four bumps at the bottom of the last page.
Post a votecount every page, or as often as possible; if you get online and your game is five posts from the bottom of the page and haven't posted a votecount for a few pages, post a goddamn votecount. If you have time to prod someone, you have time to post a votecount. It doesn't matter if no votes have changed; pages have increased and deadline has decreased.
Also try to post a votecount every day, even if there's already one on that page. This is so the players know you're alive and don't come to me worried you're dead.

I would add: number your vote counts in day.count number format, i.e. the third VC on day 2 is VC 2.3. Make the lynch VC 2.FINAL. Most mods do this but some don't. It's much easier to find what you need when scrolling through the mod's ISO if they're numbered like this.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:16 am

Post by Plotinus »

I think some mods don't do it because they don't want to spoil the surprise of how the game ends, not realising that people who weren't playing in the game mostly just care if the person they're meta diving was town or scum.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 am

Post by Persivul »

That's why that info is spoilered.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:20 am

Post by Persivul »

Or rather, should be spoilered.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:21 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

It's all laziness
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:45 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 135, Plotinus wrote:I think some mods don't do it because they don't want to spoil the surprise of how the game ends, not realising that people who weren't playing in the game mostly just care if the person they're meta diving was town or scum.

Wait you mean people don't read the games I mod for the amazing flavor?

With his head hanging low, kuribo turns his back and walks away. He motions to Baron Happleblap, who joins kuribo in climbing aboard the Great Cock Dragon. They fly away together, never to find another creative outlet.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:50 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 134, Persivul wrote:
In post 0, N wrote:Votecounts
Try and put a votecount as near to the top of every page as possible, but that doesn't mean post four bumps at the bottom of the last page.
Post a votecount every page, or as often as possible; if you get online and your game is five posts from the bottom of the page and haven't posted a votecount for a few pages, post a goddamn votecount. If you have time to prod someone, you have time to post a votecount. It doesn't matter if no votes have changed; pages have increased and deadline has decreased.
Also try to post a votecount every day, even if there's already one on that page. This is so the players know you're alive and don't come to me worried you're dead.

I would add: number your vote counts in day.count number format, i.e. the third VC on day 2 is VC 2.3. Make the lynch VC 2.FINAL. Most mods do this but some don't. It's much easier to find what you need when scrolling through the mod's ISO if they're numbered like this.

No. That's a stylistic thing. Numbering VCs should be done, but forcing a particular style is stepping on toes.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:18 pm

Post by Persivul »

Point is that they should indicate day and number. As long as they do that, the style isn't important. If the mod is more into dashes than dots, whatever.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 131, Davsto wrote:

think of it as hyperbole to reinforce the point
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Post by Equinox »

My statement was partly hyperbolic in keeping with the theme (see OP) and partly out of sheer frustration when updating game records as a list moderator. If it was a matter of one or two moderators doing it, I'd just shake my head and call it a day. Easily a third -- if not majority -- of the moderators are either not updating their OPs, not including replacements in their OPs, or outright exclude essential information that I then have to find in player posts or not at all.

For the record, Davsto, you're one of the better ones, and I enjoyed following along SCP Foundation Mafia.
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Post by Marquis »

PSA: when the game ends, please update everyone's roles in your "Alive" players list because it's spoilered anyway and it makes it so much easier to see a full roles list and see who won, especially for listmods.

Updating final dead and alive count is great but adding in the surviving players' roles too is so much better.
link in bio
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Post by Ircher »

^ Noted.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 135, Plotinus wrote:I think some mods don't do it because they don't want to spoil the surprise of how the game ends, not realising that people who weren't playing in the game mostly just care if the person they're meta diving was town or scum.

That's kind of my rationalization for not flipping the players from LYLO in the OP, though as I looked at the last game I modded, I didn't put a link in the OP for endgame and full reveal. I feel shame.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Post by BNL »

In post 119, Equinox wrote:
In post 115, Davsto wrote:When a game ends and scum wins, should you put endgamed town players in the dead spoiler? Or not since they didn't die?

I consider endgamed town players dead, as the mafia would have shot them all anyway.

Speaking of which, please put all the flips (even the survivors') in your finished game's OP. Otherwise, you're a bad moderator; no exceptions.

Regarding endgamed players, isn't that just for thematic purposes? FTR, I would put endgamed townies in the "Alive" section, but with a note "endgamed" next to it, while the Mafia get a "survived" note. In fact, it was so common to put endgamed players as dead, I actually asked N if I have to (and he said no).

I have to agree though how annoying it is when the OP (or even the title) isn't updated. I will always show everyone's role at endgame, alive or dead. If you don't update the OP, you are a bad mod, no exceptions.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Endgamed is dead, endgaming is just the mod expediting the day/night cycle in an unavoidable loss
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Post by BNL »

But I take it "at that point", where the game isn't played out fully yet, while the death of the townies is inevitable, it hasn't happened yet as the game isn't played out, and will never be as their fate has already been decided.

Not that its a big issue anyway. (Or maybe I'm wrong, and a topic with "Are endgamed players dead" will trigger flame wars)
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020

Return to “Mafia Discussion”