I am opinionated about modding

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 99, OceanWind wrote:I don't sign up for large games at all for fear that they might be multiball.

completely understandable, and i think that's kind of messed up

"i can't sign up for ANY large games because i might be unwittingly signing up for a mishmash game."

really, how fucked is that?
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

tbh i don't really have an issue with that; large games (that aren't open) are more or less a joke (but that's mostly because of mediocre moderators who think "wacky" setups are good/fun). but i still sign up to them because
im a masochist
they actually can be enjoyable in spite of the setup

if you go into a game expecting it to be imbalanced as fuck and you don't really hope to win, then the few times a game doesn't meet your expectations come as a pleasant surprise!
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:25 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 96, pieguyn wrote:I've found in practice, the issue with that is that by the time you figure it out "naturally" you've basically lost all control over whether you can win the game or not, for a lot of reasons (1. in multiball it's very easy for scum to legitimately scum hunt, and town has no way of distinguishing this from town scum hunting unless they know the game is multiball; 2. if you get unlucky with crosskills, and the setup isn't balanced well, which happens almost all the time with multiball setups, it sometimes only takes 2 or 3 mislynches before you're completely suffocated; etc.). but, I don't wanna turn this into a debate about the merits of multiball setup-wise.

You don't really have much control over whether your faction can win a multiball game or not. The main problem with them is that it comes down to luck for a particular faction. I generally don't run multiball setups anymore for that reason for what it's worth.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 0, N wrote:why do people have a seperate spoiler for modkills?? are you planning on modkilling people?

I do this so I can show ppl that I mean business.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:57 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 103, GuyInFreezer wrote:
In post 0, N wrote:why do people have a seperate spoiler for modkills?? are you planning on modkilling people?

I do this so I can show ppl that I mean business.

It makes the threat more real.
I've never had to modkill anyone.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:36 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I don't think you need to try to exaggerate the threat of a modkill. The players surely have to know that the option exists for mods, and people who break the rules rarely think about the consequences of doing so (or else assume that the consequences won't apply to them).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:15 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 105, callforjudgement wrote:I don't think you need to try to exaggerate the threat of a modkill. The players surely have to know that the option exists for mods, and people who break the rules rarely think about the consequences of doing so (or else assume that the consequences won't apply to them).

It makes it more real.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:31 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

It doesn't need to be a threat though. What makes it real is actually having to use it. Add it then if you want to call the person out.

I'm going to deliberately break rules in the next game I play that puts a modkilled section in their OP.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:08 am

Post by Davsto »

Can I ask

What is
actually wrong
with putting a modkilled section in the OP? That seems like the pettiest complaint I've ever seen onsite.

Like, it doesn't even slightly harm the players, since it's like literally a single line spoiler that they don't need to touch.

While it's useful for mods because it means it's there when the situation occurs.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:14 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

I don't see what function it serves, and no it's not a big deal in isolation but it's just pointless clutter in the OP that doesn't need to be there
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:18 am

Post by Davsto »

wow an entire
two words
of pointless clutter

however will you cope

:roll:
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:24 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Yes pointing out something is unnecessary, how melodramatic
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:27 am

Post by Davsto »

But it's not unnecessary

It's there in case someone gets modkilled

Which happens
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:30 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

They should go in the dead spoiler with everyone else
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:13 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

It's annoying when not all the dead people are in the dead spoiler.
To be clear: quack
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:04 am

Post by Davsto »

On a related note to SK's comment

When a game ends and scum wins, should you put endgamed town players in the dead spoiler? Or not since they didn't die?
Last edited by Davsto on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:08 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

I do, for completeness, if the game is finished you should be able to get the result from the OP
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:35 am

Post by Persivul »

I like to know that a game is not multiball. Personally I don't think multiball is really mafia and I don't like to play it.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 108, Davsto wrote:Can I ask

What is
actually wrong
with putting a modkilled section in the OP? That seems like the pettiest complaint I've ever seen onsite.

It make it look like the mod is powerhungry and will modkill over minor things. (There are certainly mods who have got into trouble in the past over modkilling when they probably shouldn't have done.)

A modkill should be a last resort (especially in a Mini) because it changes the balance of the game so much. If there are any better options, they should be taken. (For example, many cases of rulebreaking are best dealt with via force-replacing one or more players. Sometimes they can be fixed by deleting posts, if you catch the situation before most players saw the post in question.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:25 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 115, Davsto wrote:When a game ends and scum wins, should you put endgamed town players in the dead spoiler? Or not since they didn't die?

I consider endgamed town players dead, as the mafia would have shot them all anyway.

Speaking of which, please put all the flips (even the survivors') in your finished game's OP. Otherwise, you're a bad moderator; no exceptions.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:38 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 119, Equinox wrote:Otherwise, you're a bad moderator; no exceptions.

I mean

I've never done that

Because I've never been told to

So that's not really my fault

All the listmod queues say is the wonderfully vague "KEEP YOUR OP UPDATED" which to me means replacements and dead/living players.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:59 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

you do it not because you're told to, but it's because it's what you'd want to see as someone reading it
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:03 am

Post by Davsto »

As someone reading it, I'm perfectly happy just to scroll down the mod's ISO to the endgame post or the mod thread where all of the info is, because I'm not so lazy that I'll give up if it isn't in the OP.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:15 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

It's okay davsto I thought you were a great mod!
deranged and incoherent
?
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 122, Davsto wrote:As someone reading it, I'm perfectly happy just to scroll down the mod's ISO to the endgame post or the mod thread where all of the info is, because I'm not so lazy that I'll give up if it isn't in the OP.

then why update anything at all? the information is there for anyone who wants to find it. further, why format anything? make it all plain text and people will find it if they're not lazy

Return to “Mafia Discussion”