What if everyone played one game

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 1:56 am

Post by Annadog40 »

In post 24, Frozen Angel wrote:
In post 22, callforjudgement wrote:I guess this thread is a good place to mention an idea I had a while back.

The idea is that whenever someone died, a new player from outside the game would be added in to keep the playerlist at the same size. Players win or lose based on how well their faction did while they were in the game; neither faction ever wins or loses the whole thing, just individual players, and the game lasts indefinitely or until nobody wants to continue playing. (Players would be able to rejoin the game after leaving it if none of the players who were alive at the time they left are still there, although they would have to do so on an alt.)

Theoretically the setup could expand up to involving Mafiascum's entire playerlist, over the course of several centuries, and yet would remain manageable at all times. It also works a lot better if some of the players don't want to play :-P
this way some slots will be marked for obvtown and some obvscum after some rounds screwing it up.
Then the game would become everyone's roles confirmed though if instead of a town majority and a scum minority, there are a couple of alignments and they all have an equal plurality, then it becomes all about political maneuvering and alliances between two factions to take down other factions.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 1:59 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

No I mean player X is lynched becuase he was scummy. Player Y came to his slot. Y will be punished for just being X's replacement, after some cycles this cycle of meta will ruin the game
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
BlackStar
BlackStar
he/him
Mafia Scum
BlackStar
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 2:19 am

Post by BlackStar »

In post 26, Frozen Angel wrote:No I mean player X is lynched becuase he was scummy. Player Y came to his slot. Y will be punished for just being X's replacement, after some cycles this cycle of meta will ruin the game
I thought he was saying that when a new person replaced into the game they get a new role that's different from the person they replace
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 2:29 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Now we're talking!

so the faction of the new slot might change?

what is the thing that keep the game balanced? plus is it guaranteed that more than half of the players are still town? becuase if not the game will be scum associations to lynch a poor useless townie!
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 4:36 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Right, the faction of the new slot might change. It's balanced in the long run but not immediately in the short run. (Presumably the way it would work is that each player would be replaced once, but not necessarily immediately; you'd start out with a pool of fake players waiting to be replaced, when someone is lynched their faction is added to the pool and a random faction from the pool is taken to determine the next entrant's alignment.)

If the game is large enough you can mathematically guarantee that this never produces a scum majority, while making it impossible to predict the alignment of a new entrant unless there have been
n
lynches of the same alignment in a row (where
n
can be arbitrarily large).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 5:00 am

Post by Annadog40 »

In post 29, callforjudgement wrote:Right, the faction of the new slot might change. It's balanced in the long run but not immediately in the short run. (Presumably the way it would work is that each player would be replaced once, but not necessarily immediately; you'd start out with a pool of fake players waiting to be replaced, when someone is lynched their faction is added to the pool and a random faction from the pool is taken to determine the next entrant's alignment.)

If the game is large enough you can mathematically guarantee that this never produces a scum majority, while making it impossible to predict the alignment of a new entrant unless there have been
n
n
How many slots would that game have?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2016 5:47 am

The more it had, the further back you'd have to reread when replacing in.

As such, I imagine it'd be Mini-sized at any given point, or possibly a little larger.
scum
town
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 4:00 am

Post by hiplop »

You're a genius
third best scummer of all time
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 8:51 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 6, kuribo wrote:Wasn't there a game with like 50 player slots?

In post 11, kuribo wrote:18000 dayvigs

A scum team of 750

Kills end the day

Game lasts 9000 days

I'm going to put this here and walk away
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

In post 33, PokerFace wrote:
In post 6, kuribo wrote:Wasn't there a game with like 50 player slots?
In post 11, kuribo wrote:18000 dayvigs

A scum team of 750

Kills end the day

Game lasts 9000 days
I'm going to put this here and walk away
If that game had 18750 players, would the mods have to lock it just to keep track of who is dead?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2016 3:08 am

I already mentioned Everyone Has One Bullet as a reasonable setup to base this on.

If you wanted something more like normal Mafia, I had the following idea:

First, you break all the players into 16-player pods. Each pod has its own thread, in order to make things easier to read. You are allowed to read any pod's thread and to talk (in the game threads) about players in any pod; however, any post you make must be in the thread for your own pod (or in scum/mason PTs, etc.), and you can only vote for players in your own pod. Each pod is guaranteed to have between 3 and 5 scum (this is information the town can use to narrow down who can possibly be scum), and each pod has its own days and nights (scum in a pod can only kill players in that pod overNight). Once two pods get down to 8 or fewer players, they are merged with each other into a larger pod, that has its own thread (the original two threads are locked, but linked to in the new thread's OP and remain publicly visible). This continues until only one pod is left and there are no town/scum in the pod in question.

Scum have knowledge of other scum in their pod, and in one other pod (this is mutual, so you have scumteams that cross two pods). Masons can likewise be masons with other players cross-pod, and will be given new mason partners (in other unrelated pods) whenever the pods merge.

As far as I can tell, this idea scales to
any
number of players, and keeps the amount of reading you'd need reasonable. It would probably require ½-1 moderators per pod.
scum
town
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2016 5:16 am

Post by Annadog40 »

In post 35, callforjudgement wrote:
I already mentioned Everyone Has One Bullet as a reasonable setup to base this on.

First, you break all the players into 16-player pods. Each pod has its own thread, in order to make things easier to read. You are allowed to read any pod's thread and to talk (in the game threads) about players in any pod; however, any post you make must be in the thread for your own pod (or in scum/mason PTs, etc.), and you can only vote for players in your own pod. Each pod is guaranteed to have between 3 and 5 scum (this is information the town can use to narrow down who can possibly be scum), and each pod has its own days and nights (scum in a pod can only kill players in that pod overNight). Once two pods get down to 8 or fewer players, they are merged with each other into a larger pod, that has its own thread (the original two threads are locked, but linked to in the new thread's OP and remain publicly visible). This continues until only one pod is left and there are no town/scum in the pod in question.

Scum have knowledge of other scum in their pod, and in one other pod (this is mutual, so you have scumteams that cross two pods). Masons can likewise be masons with other players cross-pod, and will be given new mason partners (in other unrelated pods) whenever the pods merge.

any
number of players, and keeps the amount of reading you'd need reasonable. It would probably require ½-1 moderators per pod.
If there are sixteen players per game and one mod per game, there would be 1102.94117647 games so 1102 games with, 16 players left over so one mod would have to mod two games.
Though since 1103 pods is an odd number, one scum team would be on there own.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2016 8:38 am

I assume we could have some number of 15-player pods mixed in with the 16-player pods to avoid even/odd-related issues.
scum
town
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2016 3:13 am

Post by PokerFace »

I missed judgments post earlier...
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Post by vonflare »

any progress on this?
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Post by Creature »

Just make a setup with 18k+ players
Sigh
Allomancer
Allomancer
Goon
Allomancer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 am

Post by Allomancer »

cfj's idea is genius. Can we make a site-wide announcement for anyone who wants to play? Not necessarily every user on site would have to play, but there would be no limits to the player count.
"Who the fuck counts in Babylonian? I'm impressed sir. So impressed that I'm going to ruin your counting."—
xofelf

"This might be the worst hydra I've seen in all of mafiascum history."—
T-bone

"idk, you don't feel like an easy mislynch"—
Creature
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:54 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 35, callforjudgement wrote:

any
Wouldn't the setup already be a scum win if scum get majority in a single pod?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:35 am

There's a problem that if a pod ends up eliminating all its scum, or insufficiently many members of its scum, people will know how many scum are in the pod and adapt accordingly (e.g. lynch from a pod who's winning until there are no scum left). I think scum need more than a majority to get an automatic win (there have to be 8 scum left in the pod for them to survive a pod merge, although that is of course possible; something like a 7:6 majority isn't enough). Based on that, the setup needs some work, although I think the general idea could still be viable.
scum
town
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:53 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

You're all going to end up trying something out of this thread and giving Kison a damned heart attack
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 43, callforjudgement wrote:There's a problem that if a pod ends up eliminating all its scum, or insufficiently many members of its scum, people will know how many scum are in the pod and adapt accordingly (e.g. lynch from a pod who's winning until there are no scum left). I think scum need more than a majority to get an automatic win (there have to be 8 scum left in the pod for them to survive a pod merge, although that is of course possible; something like a 7:6 majority isn't enough). Based on that, the setup needs some work, although I think the general idea could still be viable.
You'd probably have to have a shuffle mechanic where you put pods in a bigger 'group' (like 6 pods?) and occasionally shuffle them up in a way that gives a wide range of possible scum (1-5 maybe), so that it's harder to tell who is scum from the shuffles and so the pods stay somewhat balanced at least.

It would fix the problem of scum going extinct in pods causing scum in other pods to have an uphill battle merging into those pods and it prevents town having literally zero chance when two pods merge together and there's like... 10 scum in it (at least until there's enough scum that it's near required for each pod to be in lylo)
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:32 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 29, callforjudgement wrote:Right, the faction of the new slot might change. It's balanced in the long run but not immediately in the short run. (Presumably the way it would work is that each player would be replaced once, but not necessarily immediately; you'd start out with a pool of fake players waiting to be replaced, when someone is lynched their faction is added to the pool and a random faction from the pool is taken to determine the next entrant's alignment.)

n
n
how large does the game have to be for that?
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:32 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

and what would be the starting alignment distribution?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Events and ITAs or gtfo :P
(inb4 smith rands solo serial killer in a game of well over 100 :P )
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 am

Post by Creature »

In post 48, mhsmith0 wrote:Events and ITAs or gtfo :P
(inb4 smith rands solo serial killer in a game of well over 100 :P )
Inb4 backup scumteam because the original scumteam couldn't handle the game.
Sigh

Return to “Mafia Discussion”