Random Negative N0 Results

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Random Negative N0 Results

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

One of the things that I've seen done on another site and loved was the idea of Random N0 Negatives for cop-like roles. At the start of the game, with their Role PM, they would receive a view on a random player that would return a "negative". e.g. Cops would get a Not Mafia result, Rolecops would get a VT result, and other, specialized cop-like roles would get the equivalent, such as a Gunsmith getting the name of a random non-gun-owner. Random N0 Negatives being in was part of the game rules, so it was public information that it would happen.

The main benefit of this system is that it made you play with the implications of an investigative in the game from D1, rather than D2, because you didn't have to wait a day for the first results. Cops had a clear they wanted to keep the lynch off of or breadcrumb to, wolves/doctors could look for cops doing this, and Scum rolecops had a less-appetizing mislynch target.

The obvious downside is the fact that randomization could potentially affect the game, but I personally have no problem with it. I don't see it as any different than the initial role randomization, and the players have plenty of opportunity to skillfully play around it.

What do you all think?
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:01 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

so a night-start game with no chance of a guilty

eh, it works around the main issue with standard night start games

if it's balanced accordingly, it's interesting enough that i don't see why it couldn't be played in a theme setup, but i personally kind of like the zero-information aspect of a normal d1
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:38 am

Post by The Fonz »

Would this be a genuine negative, or be upset by GF-like roles? I'm guessing the latter.

It's an interesting way to do it, and might work as a specific role. Probably wouldn't want to make it standard.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:28 am

Post by callforjudgement »

From my point of view, this is pretty much a case of adding "Unaware N0 Cop Target" as a role to the setup. (Not quite the same, as you're randomising whether the inno is on a VT or a power role in your version, but not in mine. The main benefit I see there is to reduce mod-outguessing.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

In post 2, The Fonz wrote:Would this be a genuine negative, or be upset by GF-like roles? I'm guessing the latter.

It's an interesting way to do it, and might work as a specific role. Probably wouldn't want to make it standard.
The latter.
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”