Mini Normal Stats Update

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:15 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 48, mith wrote:2 wins out of 7 is not anywhere close to a statistically significant result on the "actual" balance (never mind that only 5 are actually listed on the page, and one of those was 11p).
Right, I was trying to point out that they probably don't tell the full story (and I know they don't include every game). So I'm agreed with you there.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Post by BBmolla »

What's EV for 2:11, 3:11, 4:11, 5:11 etc.? Just curious
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

11:4 is 87.8% scum win, 11:2 is 60.5% scum win

i threw away the code i wrote for an odds calculator, but even numbers would generally be expected to perform worse than if you removed a vt (worse odds of hitting scum and the same amount of lynches to do it). so 11:3 is slightly worse than 10:3 (<20% without doing exact calculations)

dont think i ever bothered calculating past 4 scum in a vanilla because break-even on 4 scum was something like 80+ town?
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 52, zMuffinMan wrote:dont think i ever bothered calculating past 4 scum in a vanilla because break-even on 4 scum was something like 80+ town?
sounds like a good time

someone run that
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

actually im wrong woulda been closer to 60 i think? but still
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:24 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Alright, looking at some individual setups, I'll show you some that I think are unbalanced first. The easiest ones to pick off are those with just two town PR's, such as:

Spoiler: Mini 1445
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Tracker

1x
Cop

1x
Jailkeeper

8x
Townies

Simply isn't enough power, especially given these two roles doesn't synchronize very well and you've given mafia a fakeclaim that will widely be believed from the context of what power
should
be in the game.

Spoiler: Mini 1517
Game Link

1x
Mafia Encryptor

1x
Mafia 1-Shot-Ninja

1x
Mafia 1-Shot-RoleStopper

1x
Weak Doctor

1x
Roleblocker

8x
Townies

Again, not enough power even if the mafia team were all goons. This setup is especially bad because if the Weak Doc successfully targets mafia, the town is in evens for the rest of the game, unless the Roleblocker flukes a successful NK block (which is very unlikely). Just as likely is the Weak Doc making a correct save, creating a fake-guilty for the Roleblocker, which would end in disasterous results for town. Those are points to think about more in more balanced looking setups, but in this one, you should simply dismiss it without thinking any more when you only see two town power roles.

There were a couple more with just two PR's, but I think we all get the point that this isn't enough, so moving on. The biggest issues for games with three town PR's is giving scum significant power (RB or multiple powers), giving the town roles like 1-shot vig where they're likely get stuck in evens for a significant part of the game, or diluting the three roles town get with a lot of modifiers. Here's a couple games with those issues:

Spoiler: Mini 1422
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Jailkeeper

1x
Town 1-Shot Cop

1x
Town 2-Shot Vig

1x
Town Tracker

7x
Townies

I think full Cop/Vig/Tracker would be even-ish against an all goon team, but adding the Jailkeeper for scum and reducing the use of the Cop and Vig is a problem. I don't think town has enough power on each night to catch up with scum here, and it's extremely detrimental if the Jailkeeper is ever successful. The Cop is a named townie if it's blocked and if the Vig has one if its shots blocked/saved, it either has one bullet left that will put town in evens if it shoots again, or it will already have put the town in evens with its second shot. A full vig can at least restore odd numbers again in the event scum is successful with its JK one night. The JK for scum is a cool mechanic to get them to choose a RB or a save, so I have no qualms with keeping it in, but if you're giving scum such a powerful role, town really does need more power. I'd make the vig full and give town something else - perhaps a Doctor - to save this setup.

Spoiler: Mini 1653
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Roleblocker

1x
Town Cop

1x
Town Doctor

1x
Town 1-Shot Vig

7x
Townies

This setup is really bad. The Roleblocker is there to prevent the Cop/Doc combo, but I think we all know by now that it is just too powerful a role in most setups. I would suggest that any setup with just three town roles should never have a full Roleblocker in it. However, even reducing the roleblocker to say 1-shot doesn't fix the issues with this setup. The 1-Shot Vig is again costing town a mislynch opportunity, while also putting the town in even numbers. There are far too many setups like this that have either 3x town PR's vs. scum-RB, OR 2x town PR's + 1-Shot Vig. Both of these roles are costing towns a lot of games. This game is doubly bad because it has both.

Again, it is possible to create a setup with either role, but the town needs 4+ PR's in a RB game, and the 1-shot vig needs 2+ other killing/blocking/saving roles to increase the chance of getting back to odd numbers. Other games like Mini 1463 that have an Even-Night Vig instead suffer the same problem, as the majority of the time, that role won't be alive to make two shots.

Here's a couple more I think are unbalanced for other reasons:

Spoiler: Mini 1514
Game Link

1x
Mafia Godfather

1x
Mafia Roleblocker

1x
Mafia Tracker

1x
Town Cop

1x
Town Hider/Gunsmith

1x
Town Odd-Night Vig

1x
Town Even-Night Vig

6x
Townies

Too many scum roles that directly subvert the town roles. Both the Cop and Gunsmith have false results, and this is just going to be a very swingy game in general. I think some might disagree and believe this is town sided just by looking at the town power, but there are just too many ways for the town roles to interact with each other in a negative way (vigs shooting each other, Cops/gunsmiths getting wrong results) that you will never see an optimal display of PR use for town. And that is before factoring in scum's roles to mess with the power.

Spoiler: Mini 1304
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Sane Cop

1x
Town Doctor

1x
Town Roleblocker

1x
Town Miller

7x
Townies

This is a setup designed to subvert expectations, but it still doesn't really have enough power for town. Along with essentially giving mafia a safe fakeclaim of Cop (town will think there's a Cop in this game), there is real risk of additional false information being brought into the game via a correct RB or Doc save. If a kill is prevented while both are alive, one of them falsely thinks they did it, and in a town already low on power, that false information could be costly. In unconventional games like this, it is hard to predict how believed a role like Miller will be. In some games they're considered almost confirmed town, others they're straight up policy-lynched. Regardless, town still needs more power before you start guessing how players will react to things. Throw in a Watcher or Tracker for town and we're looking a bit better.

~~

Anyway, here are a variety of good setups that I think were fair.

Spoiler: Mini 1387
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Role Cop

1x
Town Vigilante

1x
Town Jailkeeper

1x
Town JOAT (Watch/Doc/Commute)

1x
Town 1-Shot BP

6x
Townies

This is a nice blend of roles for town, all four are very useful in their own right. I think this setup can't get away with being an all goon team, and I think Role Cop is a fair allotment of power for scum, which enables them to find the PR's, but they can't do anything about it until the next night. In setups with Vigilantes, I always consider it a positive thing to have alternate methods to restore odd numbers in the event the Vig only makes one shot.

Spoiler: Mini 1462
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Neighbour

2x
Town Masons

1x
Town Interrogator (Jailkeeper/Neighbourizer)

3x
Town Neighbours

4x
Townies

The core power of this town is a JK/Mason trio which synergize nicely with each other, and gives the town an additional chance of stopping a scum NK over just a Doc. Adding two neighbourhoods is a good way to add more power to the town without overwhelming it and making it crazy swingy. Good play from scum or town neighbours can influence the game, and there is nice fall back of three good roles for town (while no scum RB).

Spoiler: Mini 1509
Game Link

3x
Mafia Goons

1x
Town 1-Shot BP

1x
Town Hider

1x
Town Watcher

7x
Townies

Here's a pretty good setup that I'd approve where the town only has three roles. This should be the absolute minimum power you should be approving for town and you definitely shouldn't give scum an RB or really anything at all in a setup like this. Focusing on cohesion of town PR's is important when there is only three, and these three work pretty well together. Something like RB/Doc/Vig as your three may not be enough power for town, as they can all mess with each other (Vig can kill the other PR's, RB can block the other PR's and Doc can save a Vig kill on scum etc.)

Spoiler: Mini 1516
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia 1x Shot Role Cop

1x
Town Shield
(2-Shot Doc that you can use both actions on one night if you wish)
2x
Town Masons

7x
Townies

Another decent 3-PR game that I'd probably approve. Again, this is the bare minimum for power the town needs, and you could even justify giving town another weak-to-middling role like a 1-Shot Tracker or Neighbouriser etc. The Doc flexibility is a pretty good synergy with two masons, as you can protect both on one night once. Mafia isn't overpowered - the X-shot modifier is a great way to adjust mafia's power accordingly while still giving them something.

Spoiler: Mini 1540
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Encryptor

1x
Town Cop

1x
Town Roleblocker

1x
Town 1-Shot BP

7x
Townies

Another not too bad 3-PR game - town has some synergy problems with the Roleblocker, but as Cop is the most beneficial role for town (47% winrate for games with Cops), town should still have a decent chance in this game. Some people think games with a more even spread of power across town roles makes for a better game -in Cop setups like this a lot of towns' success hinges on how well the Cop performs and if he gets to report with 1 or 2 good investigations.

Encryptor is also a great role to give scum, as it isn't a direct negating role to town.

Spoiler: Mini 1699
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Encryptor

1x
Town Role Cop

1x
Town Miller

1x
Town Jailkeeper

1x
Town 2-Shot Vigilante

6x
Townies

Mason and Cop setups are quite close to being balanced, so I tried to find a setup or two without those roles that look pretty good. Here's one I like. They aren't the best roles overall, but they synergize decently for town - in some circumstances the Miller/Role Cop combo can confirm a townie in a creative way, and can also confirm the vig. Scum also have a power, but it doesn't interfere with towns' power, which I like. My only alteration would be to make the Vig full shot in the event the JK stops a kill somewhere along the line (which is pretty likely).

Spoiler: Mini 1719
Game Link

2x
Mafia Goons

1x
Mafia Roleblocker

1x
Town Doctor

1x
Town 1-Shot BP

2x
Town Masons

6x
Townies

Here's an example of a scum-RB setup done well. There are roles for town that the RB can't affect, and importantly there are 4 roles for town. I really don't think you can have a scum-RB in a 3 town PR game.

~~

The problem when assessing balance on a macro level like this, you kinda get the assumption that all the games are balanced 60/40 to scum, but this isn't true. There are plenty of games in Little Italy that will be balanced or even potentially town-sided (though, these ones are rare and I haven't seen any glaring examples of this), which means there are a bunch of setups that we're running that are even more scumsided than the current winrates. These are the setups we should be trying to eliminate. I don't think we need to obsessively pore over every setup and get it perfect, but there are some clear ways we can improve setups without making dramatic overhauls or spending ages on each setup. ANYWAY...

My checklist for balancing 3:10's:

1) If designing a game with just 3 town PR's, make sure they're strong and synergize well together.

Example of strong roles: Cops, Masons, Vigs, Watchers, Trackers, X-shot BP, Jailkeeper, Doctor, Innocent Child, etc. Stuff like Role Cops, Neighbourisers can be strong situationally, but most of the time they're not.

2) Don't dilute your town PR's with X-shot, Odd/Even-Night modifiers.

If you want to use these modifiers, include a fourth or fifth PR for town.

3) If your game only has 3 town PR's, consider an all goon team or something like an Encryptor.

Scum don't need to have power in these low power games. Encryptor is a good role to not negate town's small power pool. If you really want to give scum something, make it 1-Shot or give town a fourth PR.

4) Don't use a mafia RB without giving the town four decent PR's.

This role simply gives mafia too much agency in shutting down towns' power and it's reflected in the stats: mafia win two thirds of the time they're given a RB, and many of these games are in 3 town PR games. Make sure the town has a good amount of power to counter this - perhaps even consider roles like Masons or 1-Shot BP's for town that are immune to the RB.

5) When adding killing roles to the game, think about how likely it is town will get stuck in even numbers.

The main purpose of moving to 3:10 games was to give town an extra mislynch. When you use a role like 1-Shot or Even-Night Vig, most of the time this player is going to put the town in even numbers again giving the town worse lynching odds during the day at the cost of a mislynch. Vigs are a fun and cool role to use, but either make them unlimited or give the town two of something like BP, Jailkeeper, Doc, Weak Doc, Commuter etc. Do not design a 3 town PR game with one of them being 1-Shot Vig. It isn't strong enough and often will make -EV shots. A 35% town winrate in 1-Shot Vig games is a testament to this fact.

6) Don't think every strong town PR needs a scum role to negate it.

I see a lot of games with 2-3 scum PR's that seem to be there as a direct counter to town power. Most town PR's aren't successful often enough to justify giving scum something to subvert them. Again, consider the 1-Shot Modifier for scum if you really want to give them a Ninja/Strongman/Roleblocker.

7) If you want to have a game with less town power, that's OK...

...but run a setup of 2:11, 2:1:10 or a 3:10 with a Traitor. Again, in 3:10's, three good town PR's with no/limited scum power should be the absolute minimum you're aiming for. If you're ever in doubt, add a fourth town PR.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

those are decent guidelines
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Now I'm really curious as to whether town win rates went up after Encryptor became explicitly normal. Giving scum power when there's no reason to is a pretty common mistake, but Encryptors serve as a nice relief valve for the designs of newbie mods (it's one of the most commonly seen roles in setups designed by first-time mods). Note that it's actually negative utility compared to just giving scum daytalk.

On the subject of scum power roles, by the way, it's worth noting that you can give scum power roles that don't make their team stronger. In one of my Normals I gave scum a Tracker, and the main purpose of this was to try to steer them into fixing potential odd/even issues of the setup for me; given that many of the town's power roles didn't target, it didn't meaningfully help them hurt the Town (it might have improved their fakeclaims slightly but that's about it). Likewise, it's possible to give scum a power role that doesn't actually do anything in the setup, to mislead them about which of their players is the most valuable.

I definitely agree with the odd/even points made here. When I'm reviewing a setup, I count the power of a 1-shot vig as being based
entirely
on the ability for town to get back to odds (and the power of a 2+-shot vig is based on the chances of it hitting twice and/or the town saving a player). This is counteracted by the risk of killing a townie who could otherwise save themself by claiming, and so a 1-shot vig can often be negative utility. (The main upside for the role is that the vig can at least normally confirm themself by claiming the kill.) I should mention that saving roles like Doctor have exactly the same issue as killing roles like Vigilante (actually, I'd be willing to consider Bodyguard
more
useful for town than Doctor in some setups, because town may have to no-lynch anyway after a save and there's less ambiguity in the night results with a Bodyguard than with a Doctor). That said, this isn't a mistake I see mods commonly make nowadays; people are fairly aware of it. So it may be that analysing old setups doesn't make much sense to learn about current balance issues. (I'm much more interested in whether normals are being misbalanced right now, than if they've historically been messed up. What are the stats for Mini Normals since the Micro queue was established? That'd allow for a fairer 10:3 to 7:2 comparison.)

Incidentally, I was actually in one of the games you mentioned above (Mini 1304), and agree with you that it was highly scumsided. (That said, I actually figured out the scum the morning after the night I got nightkilled, which basically just shows that scum made a good nightkill choice. They were trying to be too cute, though, and could have won easily with a simpler strategy.)

Meanwhile, I disagree with the approach of assessing balance by counting roles. As an extreme case, 3×Cops + 7×VT versus 3×Goon is highly townsided even if you allow for the town potentially not believing the setup, whereas 3×Doctor + 7×VT versus 3×Goon is probably somewhat scumsided in practice even if you allow for the possibility of the Doctors identifying each other (e.g. at massclaim) and setting up a protection loop. My preferred method of assessing balance in a setup that I don't have a similar setup to compare it with is to count the number of players that are likely to get their alignment confirmed overNight over the course of the game (my current estimate for this when balancing a 10:3 is "slightly more than 3"), plus the number of players likely to be mostly confirmed via what makes sense in the setup at massclaim (ideally around 1).

An example: Looking at Mini 1445, we have Cop, JK, 8×VT vs. Tracker, 2×Goon; the Tracker effectively counts as a delayed vanillaise for the purpose of balance (because scum will kill a suspected power role the night after), so we can give the power roles a 11/13 chance of being alive at the end of N1, 8/13 at the end of N2, 5/13 at the end of N3. Let's call this 80%, 60%, 40% for the purpose of approximation (as the numbers aren't perfectly accurate anyway), so we can assume that on average the Cop and JK each get a little under 2 shots off (slightly less for the Cop due to the chance of an accidental block, slightly more for the JK as their role can save themself from dying as it confirms a scum). The JK is almost blank in this setup; if they stop a kill early and aim at unlikely kill targets they may guess that their target is scum, but unlikely kill targets rarely perform kills, and thus the JK's only useful late (when they probably won't be alive). Any positive effect they have is therefore mostly a rounding error. I'll happily allocate 1 and a half or even two confirmations to the Cop (it's a powerful role), and if I were being generous I'd add one massclaim confirmation to the town total (not two as scum can cause confusion by claiming power, with only two town power roles). We're still somewhat short, though. You could add something like an Innocent Child to this game and it'd be much closer to balanced (especially if they were revealed at game start to give some amount of JK WIFOM that'll likely work mostly in town's favour). In this case, my method comes out with much the same conclusion as Hoopla's. If the town roles were different, though (say Cop+Watcher, which are both very powerful and also synergise well with each other), I'd be willing to let the game run with just the two power roles, at least from the point of view of win:loss balance (and the setup's actually relatively low-swing for a two-power-role setup, with the main swing risk being the Watcher being shot or forced to claim early).
scum
town
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 57, callforjudgement wrote:So it may be that analysing old setups doesn't make much sense to learn about current balance issues. (I'm much more interested in whether normals are being misbalanced right now, than if they've historically been messed up. What are the stats for Mini Normals since the Micro queue was established? That'd allow for a fairer 10:3 to 7:2 comparison.)
When I was in change of the normal group, there was a period of time where I was reviewing and signing off on almost every setup that was proposed. I didn't really have the time or drive for that to last longterm, but the winrates were close at around the time period I stepped down: 29 town wins/32 mafia wins. As for time frame, I think that update was shortly after the micro queue became a thing?

So, if anything games were being balanced decently in the first year or two of 3:10's and have been getting worse since then.
In post 57, callforjudgement wrote: Meanwhile, I disagree with the approach of assessing balance by counting roles. As an extreme case, 3×Cops + 7×VT versus 3×Goon is highly townsided even if you allow for the town potentially not believing the setup, whereas 3×Doctor + 7×VT versus 3×Goon is probably somewhat scumsided in practice even if you allow for the possibility of the Doctors identifying each other (e.g. at massclaim) and setting up a protection loop. My preferred method of assessing balance in a setup that I don't have a similar setup to compare it with is to count the number of players that are likely to get their alignment confirmed overNight over the course of the game (my current estimate for this when balancing a 10:3 is "slightly more than 3"), plus the number of players likely to be mostly confirmed via what makes sense in the setup at massclaim (ideally around 1).

An example: Looking at Mini 1445, we have Cop, JK, 8×VT vs. Tracker, 2×Goon; the Tracker effectively counts as a delayed vanillaise for the purpose of balance (because scum will kill a suspected power role the night after), so we can give the power roles a 11/13 chance of being alive at the end of N1, 8/13 at the end of N2, 5/13 at the end of N3. Let's call this 80%, 60%, 40% for the purpose of approximation (as the numbers aren't perfectly accurate anyway), so we can assume that on average the Cop and JK each get a little under 2 shots off (slightly less for the Cop due to the chance of an accidental block, slightly more for the JK as their role can save themself from dying as it confirms a scum). The JK is almost blank in this setup; if they stop a kill early and aim at unlikely kill targets they may guess that their target is scum, but unlikely kill targets rarely perform kills, and thus the JK's only useful late (when they probably won't be alive). Any positive effect they have is therefore mostly a rounding error. I'll happily allocate 1 and a half or even two confirmations to the Cop (it's a powerful role), and if I were being generous I'd add one massclaim confirmation to the town total (not two as scum can cause confusion by claiming power, with only two town power roles). We're still somewhat short, though. You could add something like an Innocent Child to this game and it'd be much closer to balanced (especially if they were revealed at game start to give some amount of JK WIFOM that'll likely work mostly in town's favour). In this case, my method comes out with much the same conclusion as Hoopla's. If the town roles were different, though (say Cop+Watcher, which are both very powerful and also synergise well with each other), I'd be willing to let the game run with just the two power roles, at least from the point of view of win:loss balance (and the setup's actually relatively low-swing for a two-power-role setup, with the main swing risk being the Watcher being shot or forced to claim early).
In an ideal world, I'd love everyone to think about setup review in such a deep way, but many mods/reviewers don't and it's unrealistic to expect the majority of setups to be thought about in any meaningful way at all, so establishing simple soundbites like "town need 3+ strong PR's" or "don't give scum an RB with just 3 town roles" etc. seems like the best way to influence people's instincts and get games that aren't being reviewed thoroughly (or well) to adhere to some basic rules that intrinsically do a good job to nudge the game into balanced territory no matter what else they do.

I believe it's possible to design good balanced setups that don't adhere to everything in my guidelines, but it's harder, requires more thought and like a lot things on this site dunning-kruger might be at play.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

What are some examples of town sided normal games that have happened? My gut was that mini normal 1775 was town sided, and I remember complaints on mini normal 1782 (though I disagreed there). Any that stand out from those who know a lot on those things?
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:15 am

Post by mykonian »

ETL's game was passed as unbalanced by the review group, it was a normality only review. Since then, N has removed that option, it was very rarely used. If it was used however, odds were decent the setup was odd in some way. I think nowadays we'd catch that one.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:26 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 53, Antihero wrote:
In post 52, zMuffinMan wrote:dont think i ever bothered calculating past 4 scum in a vanilla because break-even on 4 scum was something like 80+ town?
sounds like a good time

someone run that
/pre-in
Show
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:27 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 59, mhsmith0 wrote:What are some examples of town sided normal games that have happened? My gut was that mini normal 1775 was town sided, and I remember complaints on mini normal 1782 (though I disagreed there). Any that stand out from those who know a lot on those things?
After looking through this thread, my setup prob. ended up scumsided after all, but I think it was fairly close to balance (perhaps the ninja should've been 1-shot instead of Odd night...).
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:30 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Iirc your neighborhoods were no day talk right? That makes it super hard to do anything useful w those IMO.
Show
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:35 am

Post by Ircher »

Yeah. I also didn't expect the Follower to get killed N1.

Make the ninja 1-Shot and possibly give daytalk to the neighbors probably would've balanced it.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:42 am

In post 59, mhsmith0 wrote:What are some examples of town sided normal games that have happened? My gut was that mini normal 1775 was town sided, and I remember complaints on mini normal 1782 (though I disagreed there). Any that stand out from those who know a lot on those things?
1782 doesn't look obviously townsided to me (although I haven't analysed it in detail), although I'd have been very worried that it's excessively swingy (with most of the town roles getting better as scum's numbers dwindle, an early scum lynch would be very hard to come back from; and the JK result that gives town more information also leaves more townies alive). In the actual game, it looked somewhat like town snowballed after blocking a kill, which would have left the game feeling townsided. It'd have quite possibly felt equally scumsided if more town PRs had died early. Swingy games have an unfortunate habit of leaving someone upset pretty much whatever happens.
scum
town
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:44 am

Post by Ircher »

Yep, that's exactly what hapened. Part of the problem was scum didn't have too many good fakeclaims when ran up. Swing was a big part of it though.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:53 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 66, Ircher wrote:Yep, that's exactly what hapened. Part of the problem was scum didn't have too many good fakeclaims when ran up. Swing was a big part of it though.
Luck ran both ways though. Wolves shot prs n1 AND n3 while killing players they wanted dead vs pr hunting; that kind of luck is abnormal IMO. I still get chuckles from the "I bet they just role copped smith" bit after my death. But I think the result spoke to town playing better than wolves, when one mafia death snowballed through the rest of the game.
Show
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:43 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 60, mykonian wrote:ETL's game was passed as unbalanced by the review group, it was a normality only review. Since then, N has removed that option, it was very rarely used. If it was used however, odds were decent the setup was odd in some way. I think nowadays we'd catch that one.
ETL...?

you mean TSQ's 4 faction thing?
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:51 am

Post by Antihero »

1775:
2 Mafia Goons
Mafia Encryptor

Town JOAT with 1 shot of each: Watcher, Commuter, Cop, BG
Town JK
Town Universal Backup
7 VT

no, not town sided
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:54 am

Post by Antihero »

ircher's game that you brought up: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65928

scum: odd night ninja, encryptor, even night jk

town: voyeur, follower, odd night jk, even night roleblocker, 6 vt

also not townsided
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:38 am

Post by Ircher »

The investigatives were neighbors; PAY ATTN!
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:39 am

Post by Ircher »

Lik e I said, the ninja pught to be 1-Shot and the neighbors should've had daytalk.... Maybe for as long as the mafia encryptor lived.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:39 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 65, callforjudgement wrote:Swingy games have an unfortunate habit of leaving someone upset pretty much whatever happens.
This is a good point.

Most post-game balance complaints usually happen after a scum or town sweep, and naturally, these extremes happen more in swingy games where many results are possible. People are naturally results-oriented and tend to make judgments based on what happened, even though that is just one of many possibilities that could have occurred.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:55 am

Post by Hoopla »

There were no setups that I saw that stood out to me as obviously town-sided. It is rare for town to get more than four PR's in mini normals, and when they do, they tend to feature a lot of weak roles likes neighbours, backup whatevers, 1-Shot-whatevers that don't really do anything and often can't be confirmed, and/or scum getting heaps of power.

An underrated component of what makes a town PR powerful is that when massclaim happens, town can roughly assess how much power they should have and can occasionally confirm (or semi-confirm) a player or two based on balance. Hypothetically, if a mod gives a town more town power than usual (say, 5 strong PR's), it doesn't necessarily equate with a greater town advantage as towns will often lynch these PR's on the belief they can't all be true claims. This is essiantly Stoofer's Law on PR's, but in general I find it much more difficult to create a town-sided game than a scum-sided one.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”