Town voting themselves

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 20, Fenchurch wrote:Not really. You just put it in your rules: 'Self-votes won't be counted. If you vote yourself it will be treated as if you are not voting.'
This removes the ability of scum to self-hammer, though. And there's no good way to loophole it in.

I agree that town selfvotes are often detrimental to the town wincon, but what's important in determining if the player in question is playing to their wincon isn't whether it's actually detrimental, it's whether they perceive it to be detrimental. And there are tons of possible town motivations for selfvoting that are actually motivations that are trying to further the town win condition:

-A townie selfvotes to garner reactions and base reads off of those reactions
-A townie selfvotes in an attempt to be read as town, because they perceive it as an effective way to show that they are town
-A townie selfvotes near deadline to avoid a NL
-A townie selfvotes for role-specific reasons: some have been mentioned, but another good example is a vengeful townie who thinks they have a good shot or who knows that their lynch will restore parity.
-A townie selfvotes to end the day earlier than deadline because they perceive the remaining time in the day as detrimental to the town (for instance, if they see their lynch as inevitable and see the town wallowing away in inactivity waiting for a flip)

etc etc. This is just a smattering
The important common thread in all of these examples is that the townie in question believes that their actions promote the town win condition, and so they are not playing against their win condition. Certainly there are cases where townies selfvoting is playing against their win condition, but just as certainly banning selfvotes removes or punishes a slew of legitimate strategic options.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

people who are arguing about edge cases are missing the point

regardless, nothing should be done about it outside of just never playing with the idiots who do it for idiotic reasons again

EDIT: how you *think* you'll be read for it and "reactions" are NOT good reasons, these fall under the banner of idiocy

EDIT2: fenchurch's idea isn't *bad* per se, but there are legitimate reasons why self-voting might be allowed in games (as either alignment), so a rule about it might limit certain roles or mechanics (and if you have the rule in some games but not others, you're basically broadcasting that there's a reason for this, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but meh)... it also kind of requires a lot of mods doing this, and a lot of mods are stupid, so *shrug*
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Post by Davsto »

I mean town voting themselves is a bad play

But if we started modkilling people for bad play then it'll just get stupid

I mean, if a town pr like a cop or doctor actively refuses to take an action should they be modkilled? I mean, in a game with no PGOs or millers or godfathers it's always better for the cop to take an action as it gets them info therefore not doing so could be argued as being against their wincon

(especially since a lot of "bad plays" as town are good plays as scum and punishing them basically makes it impossible for scum to do them)
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

relevant: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59109

and i assume this thread will be relevant in 1-2 years when it's still an issue
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:11 am

Post by Zachrulez »

I mean I've banned self voting before, and I stopped doing it because after seeing games play out with the practice banned, it seemed dumb to have it banned and didn't really change the outcome of a player meltdown. (Except that it kinda prolongs the agony.)
chilledtea
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
chilledtea
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:35 am

Post by chilledtea »

Self-voting is an important part of the game, definitely no mod killing. Maybe disallow self-voting in the rules but self-voting should be allowed as the kill is decided with majority. As a leader is allowed to elect himself, a lynch target should be allowed to elect himself.

The counter argument is that in a village where a lynch is decided, no body would actually vote himself, right? I don't know but such emotional reactions should be allowed.

In one game I voted myself, and subsequently I got lynched without voting myself. My lynch almost confirmed two people as scum and I think there was some relation to the self-vote.

Self-vote is generally a bad play though, especially self-hammering.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:13 am

Post by kuribo »

I've said before and I'll say it again

There are times when the move most conducive to a town wincon is to remove a toxic element from the game

If that toxic element is yourself, so be it.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:15 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 10, KuroiXHF wrote:You're talking about people voting town when they KNOW they are town? I've never seen this at all.

I have, however, been reported recently for guessing wrong and voting town while in lylo. But that's because the person I voted acted like scum in every way.

Since when is playing, even playing badly, reportable?

Whoever reported you for that shouldn't fucking play mafia and should out themselves now so we can ridicule such a stupid thought process.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:25 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 29, Zachrulez wrote:I mean I've banned self voting before, and I stopped doing it because after seeing games play out with the practice banned, it seemed dumb to have it banned and didn't really change the outcome of a player meltdown. (Except that it kinda prolongs the agony.)
That's interesting to know. Well then I don't have a better solution than the one already suggested, i.e. where possible, avoid playing with people who do this.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Post by Accountant »

We shouldn't ban people from voting themselves, but we should tell them that it's an idiotic move and treat them like idiots if they do it.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:41 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 24, Mas y Menos wrote:
In post 23, Nero Cain wrote:
vote:Nero
sorry but you have been wotm'd from all my games.
:(
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 32, kuribo wrote:
In post 10, KuroiXHF wrote:You're talking about people voting town when they KNOW they are town? I've never seen this at all.

I have, however, been reported recently for guessing wrong and voting town while in lylo. But that's because the person I voted acted like scum in every way.

Whoever reported you for that shouldn't fucking play mafia and should out themselves now so we can ridicule such a stupid thought process.
I know we don't punish for making reports that don't result in action, but this is a case that makes me wonder if we should.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 36, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 32, kuribo wrote:

I know we don't punish for making reports that don't result in action, but this is a case that makes me wonder if we should.
Well, I mean, if someone reports something in good faith and the mods decide it's not actionable that's one thing

but this is a frivolous use of a necessary tool, and if people are doing this it infuriates me more than anything that's ever been posted in a game. It's disgusting and makes a mockery of gameplay. If we banned everyone who we felt played sub-optimally, there'd be no one left to play with BECAUSE GOOD GAME PLAY IS FUCKING SUBJECTIVE

so if whoever did that is reading this, please contact me so we can fight in real life

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:12 am

Post by Accountant »

I once reported cheetory for being a humorless old coot because we were singing the pokemon theme song in a thread and he didnt go along with it, should I get banned?

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:13 am

Post by kuribo »

Yes.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:14 am

Post by Accountant »

The correct answer is no

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:28 am

Post by kuribo »

From a certain viewpoint maybe. But from the correct viewpoint, the answer is yes.

MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:35 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 38, Accountant wrote:I once reported cheetory for being a humorless old coot because we were singing the pokemon theme song in a thread and he didnt go along with it, should I get banned?
So to be sure I understand what you are saying -

You and others were doing some goofy thing in a thread.

Cheetory posted and didn't do the same goofy thing you were doing.

The thread was not a "Let's Sign the Pokemon Theme Song" thread.

You reported him.

Is that correct?

If so make a new account because you are embarrassing accountants everywhere ...
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:38 am

Post by McMenno »

aren't we all
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:41 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 42, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In post 38, Accountant wrote:I once reported cheetory for being a humorless old coot because we were singing the pokemon theme song in a thread and he didnt go along with it, should I get banned?
So to be sure I understand what you are saying -

You and others were doing some goofy thing in a thread.

Cheetory posted and didn't do the same goofy thing you were doing.

The thread was not a "Let's Sign the Pokemon Theme Song" thread.

You reported him.

Is that correct?

If so make a new account because you are embarrassing accountants everywhere ...
No the pokemon theme song was related to the thread somehow it wasnt completely off topic iirc

Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:05 am

Post by Seraphim »

Definitely not bannable per se but definitely an abuse of the report function. The report function for me is an analogue to calling the cops. While the scope is very different here, I feel that you only use it when you mean it, and you mean it when the circumstances involved extend beyond the realm of discourse, of working things out like adults. Reporting something to the mods means that the mods need to look at it and formulate a response. Frivolous use of the report function is a waste of resources and also undermines the seriousness of using it.

So, no bans. Cone of shame will suffice.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:43 am

Post by kuribo »

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Post by Accountant »

Her lips aren't moving, she isn't saying shame

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Post by kuribo »

Because she doesn't ding the bell as she says shame, she says "Shame," pauses for a second, then rings the bell, then another pause

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Post by Accountant »

Wouldn't the "shame" litany get drowned out by the bell? Like, the bell would be so loud that any "shame"s would be impossible to hear, so she would just look like a mad woman ringing a bell for no reason

Return to “Mafia Discussion”