Weird Numbering of Alive Section in OP

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Guilty as charged.
My "players in the game" uses the list=1 tag.
My "players alive" is done manually.
This, of course, is backwards to your preference.

But I got into the habit of doing this as a way of marking where that player had been originally. Not sure if that makes sense, but it basically is, "this player was there, but died, so now...isn't there". The numbers featured in the deaths, when I have multiple deaths during the night, also serve as a nice way of letting people know, "hey, you know these multiple deaths that occurred? They're listed in PLAYERLIST ORDER, not ordered by something you can try to game". (Because some players are in fact dumb enough to wonder, "why is X's death listed before Y's when they died at the same time?")
In post 4, Majiffy wrote:I usually just have the alive/dead in one comprehensive list as such;

Players
1. pirate mollie
2. borkjerfkin
Town Cop

3. kuribo
4. Venmar
5. Nachomamma8
Mafia Roleblocker

6. fferylt
7. Thor665
8. Bellaphant
Town Innocent Child

9. MsMarangal
Town Vanilla
This format is a pet peeve of mine for two reasons. One, you either have to spoil THE ENTIRE PLAYERLIST to hide game spoilers from those who don't want them (not ideal!), or two, you have to give game spoilers to those who don't want them (not ideal!). I very much prefer Alive/Dead spoilers. Usually separate, but that's not a requirement. This is basically my second-largest pet peeve, next to moderators not noting replacements especially if the slot has been lynched. (Sure, Nachomamma8 when lynched was the occupant of that slot, but what if there were two others? Are they also listed? If not...welcome to LARGEST pet peeve of mine.)
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:41 pm

Post by Majiffy »

I care more about having all the information for my players readily available in the OP than not spoiling the game for non-players reading the game after it's over.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 25, mastin2 wrote:The numbers featured in the deaths, when I have multiple deaths during the night, also serve as a nice way of letting people know, "hey, you know these multiple deaths that occurred? They're listed in PLAYERLIST ORDER, not ordered by something you can try to game".
this is a very large part of the reason I include slot numbers in flips. in the Alive list, though, I usually just list the players' names without any numbers or other special formatting.

EDIT:
In post 10, Vi wrote:Those numbers are PLAYER_SLOT_IDs and for the game mod's benefit rather than the list mod's benefit.
I can also say I agree with this and that even though I don't make it obvious when running games, assigning a numeric ID to each slot does, in fact, help me mentally keep track of games I run. I can remember everything much, much more easily when I can associate everything about a slot to a single number, instead of associating it to its original player or abstractly distinguishing the slots in my mind.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Post by Toomai »

In post 19, zoraster wrote:Can you elaborate?
In post 23, Plotinus wrote:do you just need to be able to differentiate between newbies, SEs, and ICs, or do you need to know newbie_1, newbie_2, newbie_3, etc?
It's mostly for technical reasons to be honest. The data is in the form of seperated blocks of ["slot 2 role is Doctor", "slot 2 died N2", "slot 2 was replaced 1 time", "slot 2 is newbie"]. It's a lot easier to construct the stat calculations with that as opposed to something like ["the doctor died N2", "the doctor was replaced 1 time"].

(disclaimer: I'm using Excel instead of an actual database, but the general principle is the same)
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:54 am

Post by Zachrulez »

I don't think I ever numbered player lists aside from the beginning player list. It's actually quite annoying to deal with numbering in living and dead lists that frequently change.

Edit: Ok I lied. I USED to do it in exactly the way it bothers Zoraster. Maybe I should start doing it again. :D
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:23 am

Post by zoraster »

Well, that's why I included exactly how to do it so that it's not annoying in my OP.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:31 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Well I think the thinking was slot 9 is always slot 9, even when people die.

I just stopped numbering changeable lists at some point. (The reason was probably for the same reason it bothers you but with a lot less thought involved. :P)
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Post by Marquis »

COMPLETE PLAYERLIST
  1. a
  2. b
  3. c
  4. d
  5. e
  6. g (replaced f)
ALIVE

Spoiler:
  1. c
  2. d
  3. e
  4. g (replaced f)

DEAD

Spoiler:
  1. a
  2. b

i dont get how hard it is to make a simple c+p list that includes spoilers as necessary
link in bio
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:01 am

Post by mykonian »

hahaha

You are great zor.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:09 am

Post by FakeGod »

I'm not convinced.

I think Zor Tester would have done it better.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:17 am

Post by Magua »

In post 10, Vi wrote:This thread is as wrong and bad as it was the last time you made it. Those numbers are PLAYER_SLOT_IDs and for the game mod's benefit rather than the list mod's benefit.
In post 11, zoraster wrote:I'm pretty confident that virtually no one does it for that reason because that reason is... eccentric to say the least. Because I have literally never heard anyone, whether in reviews or post game or whatever refer to slots as "slot 8" or whatever. Because no one does it that way.
I literally do it that way for that exact reason. In fact, that's the only reason I can ever imagine you would find someone using that kind of numbering in their dead/alive lists.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:24 am

Post by zoraster »

Do you really? I don't recall ever seeing that in your setups, but maybe I just never focused on the number.

Regardless, it's not helpful information for players, right?
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:35 am

Post by Magua »

Example

Seems like the number you really want is the number alive or dead, which I put in the spoiler header, so my guess is you just never expanded the spoiler?

---

No, I don't think it's particularly helpful information for players (though I do use player-slot-ordering for basically anything that involves more than one player name, so it does affect how some information is presented to them).

But, on the other hand, straight number ordering doesn't seem particularly helpful to them either, so. =P
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:40 am

Post by zoraster »

Yours is fine because you put the total in the title/spoiler tag. My original post in this thread discusses this.
Magua
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Magua
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Post by Magua »

Yeah. It was more the point where you said you couldn't understand why anyone would ever number players that way. Also the use of "literally." =P

Also I just like making trouble.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

I was considering replacing into a game a while ago but decided against it because the VCs/wagons were sorted by player slot like this (leading wagon wasn't on top), also no hammer VC.
deranged and incoherent
?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:35 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 40, Raskolnikov wrote:I was considering replacing into a game a while ago but decided against it because the VCs/wagons were sorted by player slot like this (leading wagon wasn't on top), also no hammer VC.
Thats a horrendous reason not to replace in.

Keepng a lst of all players is easier to manage than the abridged VCs. Furthermoore, having too cut and paste stuff on a mobile device is quiite a nuuisance, so resorting things isn't worth the effort.

There are several ways of doing VCs, so stop thinking there is only one way.

(That said, any game that uses the abridged (zero votes cut out) version always has the wagons ordered as far as I've seen.)
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:37 pm

Post by N »

In post 41, Ircher wrote:
In post 40, Raskolnikov wrote:I was considering replacing into a game a while ago but decided against it because the VCs/wagons were sorted by player slot like this (leading wagon wasn't on top), also no hammer VC.
Thats a horrendous reason not to replace in.

Keepng a lst of all players is easier to manage than the abridged VCs. Furthermoore, having too cut and paste stuff on a mobile device is quiite a nuuisance, so resorting things isn't worth the effort.

There are several ways of doing VCs, so stop thinking there is only one way.

(That said, any game that uses the abridged (zero votes cut out) version always has the wagons ordered as far as I've seen.)
"the mod is shit" is a great reason not to replace in.
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Post by zoraster »

yeah... no hammer VC is disqualifying.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Post by mastin2 »

On that note: I really hate when mods order wagons by the "first person who was voted" order rather than "person who has the most votes" order.

Now, I understand the logic between both those formats.
If you list ALL the players in a votecount, you're giving a convenient way of letting players know, "hey, these are all the valid votes you can cast", most commonly seen in "zeroth votecounts". (What are zeroth votecounts? Votecounts made when there's no votes been cast at the beginning of a phase. They see almost zero use
except
for mods who use the All-players-in-votecount format.)

If you list the wagons in the order of the voters, you're letting people know, "that wagon came first".

These are both things that are all nice and fine and all (I include them in the extras section of my votecounts), but what I
really
need is the HIGHEST visibility for who the lead wagons are...which is only possible by seeing them at the top. I'd rather instantly know, "oh hey that player's at L-3" than know "oh, these are players I can vote" or "oh, this player was voted first". (Especially since the latter is something that can be a vote park for an entire phase which can get ridiculous if it's a vanity vote.)

Also, ideally (I sometimes forget), I will quote the hammer vote (or, at least, link to it) when I have confirmed it was a hammer, and then provide the final VC after that. These are things that you automatically need to do as a mod. (You should be double-checking your votes all the time. Ideally--I can understand not doing this all the time--you track down every player's vote, and make absolutely SURE they haven't cast any vote since that one, as to make absolutely 100% sure lynch majority has been reached.) So, why not--in the process of doing them--share with your players what you were already writing down?

(Then again, I put more work into my VCs than the average moderator, so...maybe I'm just a little bit of an oddity for how much I give them.)
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:12 am

Post by kuribo »

Any ordering of a vote count other than "most to least votes" is objectively the wrong way to do it.

Also who the fuck doesn't VC on hammer? That's lazy.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:19 am

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 10, Vi wrote:This thread is as wrong and bad as it was the last time you made it. Those numbers are PLAYER_SLOT_IDs and for the game mod's benefit rather than the list mod's benefit.
thank you Vi you always say the right things it's uncanny
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:07 am

Post by Postie »

I've just been keeping the players being voted in my VCs in the order they are in the OP. What are the benefits to ordering them from most to least votes?

Also what Marquis said.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:35 am

Post by zoraster »

The benefit is being able to quickly see and understand who is closest to lynch.

That said, I like the method of doing it by OP order (which is alphabetic for me usually) because it makes ISOing the mod to see a single player's wagon easier.

It also helps that my method for tracking votes is much easier if I don't resort every time.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:13 am

Post by Ircher »

I link to votes, so cut-pasting is more of a pain.

It also makes error correction easier.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”