Ethics of conceding

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:49 am

Post by Accountant »

What if they send in no action
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:56 am

Post by McMenno »

then they should be replaced
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:57 am

Post by Something_Smart »

then they die. but that had already happened and cfj would have made 100% sure that it didn't happen again.
Dragonfire
Dragonfire
Goon
Dragonfire
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:24 am

Post by Dragonfire »

I was just reading a newbie game where on 5p LyLo, one scum gambled the game by claiming BP to support his fellow scum's Tracker claim against the town Cop (who had a guilty on the scum claiming Tracker). He obviously decided that it was more beneficial to risk everything then and there, and hopefully win that day, than lynch his teammate and hope to win a 3p LyLo with one confirmed townie. He lost the gamble, as his fellow scum was lynched. Since he was 100% confirmed scum and admitted it then and there, why shouldn't he just concede the game, since there would be no point in dragging it on at that stage.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:32 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Yeah I was in that game :)

Be careful talking about stuff like that because it's technically ongoing but not really.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:43 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

a distinction needs to be made between a completely unwinnable scenario (barring town massively fucking up due to sheer stupidity - and while some people have said that this can happen, i personally wouldn't aim for that and wouldn't be proud of winning a game because of that) and a situation where you theoretically could win without town just falling asleep at the wheel but the odds are heavily stacked against you

#78 is an example of the former and there's nothing wrong with conceding there
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:25 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Personally, my view is that if town have a forced win and the only way to salvage a scum win is for town to massively screw things up, then a) conceding is reasonable, and I wouldn't fault anyone for doing so; and b) aiming for the screwup is also reasonable and probably the option I'd take. If the game is unwinnable in normal circumstances, you may as well have some fun and maybe fluke a win out of it if town is excessively awful. (Then I'd count it as them losing rather than me winning, and I wouldn't be
proud
of the victory but I would be satisfied. Also, it would likely be hilarious.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:54 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 78, Dragonfire wrote:I was just reading a newbie game where on 5p LyLo, one scum gambled the game by claiming BP to support his fellow scum's Tracker claim against the town Cop (who had a guilty on the scum claiming Tracker). He obviously decided that it was more beneficial to risk everything then and there, and hopefully win that day, than lynch his teammate and hope to win a 3p LyLo with one confirmed townie. He lost the gamble, as his fellow scum was lynched. Since he was 100% confirmed scum and admitted it then and there, why shouldn't he just concede the game, since there would be no point in dragging it on at that stage.
I was actually in this scenario, only I CCed the cop and my teammate decided to go ham and CC the doc. We lost, badly >.< Which was especially irritating since we definitely could have won the 3P (the cop wanted to lynch the last, unCCed, guy).
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:56 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I was in this one too, and I have to say it was a bold move, but I didn't trust it at all because of the duplicity of the post.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:51 am

Post by zakk »

In post 11, Accountant wrote:I actually think not conceding is more respectful, it shows you have the fighting spirit and respect for your opponent to try your best to claw a victory out of nothing
In post 13, ConManMick wrote:Haven't you people ever heard of a Blood Sacrifice? You've got to fight to the very bitter end, to inspire future generations
++++++++++++++++++++++
permanently retired

see here for more info

Return to “Mafia Discussion”