Insert Clickbait Title

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Insert Clickbait Title

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Post by Killthestory »

The key to Mafia

I was talking to some people, and I realized something about Mafia. Mainly, site chat. What I discovered basically negated any other guides. That's not say it negates any other strategy, but you shouldn't strive for a single, sole strategy because you'll "fit in" or "be funny". It's fun to try out new things, but it's also fun to do your own thing. It's fun to just play, and to play however you like, not conform to how others want you to play. That also applies to trying to fit in with certain playstyles. Don't try to do anything but just play and have fun.

That said, it's great to be good at the game or funny. However, that's usually going to be your personality. Mafia is a reflection upon your personality, whether you believe it or not. Striving to be very critical in Mafia could well be how you behave in real life. For example, I'm a very aggressive player. Usually, I'm not like this in any part of chat, but it stills reflects me because it's bottled up anger from my life. People don't want to admit it, but it's totally like that.

Sometimes, even then, it's good to get out of your comfort zone. If you're doing that for fun, and not for others, then it's acceptable. You're there to embrace yourself, discover yourself, have fun. If you accomplish that, you're accomplishing everything you want from Mafia. Maybe you're even in Mafia for different reasons, that's fine. Everyone has their own reasons, themselves.

Just don't worry, don't stress, just play the game. Keyword is play here because Mafia isn't a fucking chat room. If you're only memeing around in a game with absolutely no plan to help town, you shouldn't be playing. Period. Mafia is a game of fun, but you're also there to play the game.

Play the game, however. Don't worry about fitting in, don't worry about strategies, don't worry even about doing anything. Just write down your thoughts on what's going on, and have fun doing it. Don't try to be extremely serious, but don't try to force fun. If you don't find Mafia fun, then it's not the game for you. However, there could be other problems I have literally no experience in because I've always found Mafia fun.

If you find it fun to read guides and implement certain strategies, that's perfectly acceptable. If you find it fun to implement different tools other than such a thing like meta or pressure, like, possibly, PoE as your main tool, that's fine. Whatever you find great.

I mean, I don't even mind memeing if you're doing it for a purpose. Just play the game.

With all that said, don't look down on anyone for their playstyles. Be open to what they say. To see someone else's perspective in a matter is a great social and mafia tool. Being able to embrace what they're saying is even better. It's like sympathy versus empathy, if you understand what I'm saying.

I think, along that topic, end game you should always accept your win or loss for what it's worth. Don't argue with anything or anybodies opinion regarding anything because each and every opinion (so long as it isn't mindless trolling) is valid. You just have to learn how to reason like that particular person. Everything is to be taken at face value, and you yourself have to be self aware. That's the most powerful tool in the human mind. Self awareness. If you understand a problem, any problem with yourself, you can always fix it.

That's all I have to say.
Last edited by Killthestory on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Post by kuribo »

Scum hunters hate this one weird trick to having fun in Mafia!
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Post by Killthestory »

Lol, there's no definitive trick to having fun in Mafia. I never said there was. I said that you should just have fun, and if you don't, then maybe Mafia isn't your thing. I don't know how people have fun, and I really don't care.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Post by mykonian »

"Mafia is a reflection upon your personality, whether you believe it or not. Striving to be unpredictable can easily be your personality as well, unpredictable."

So wish you wouldn't have picked that one example ;)

Unpredictability has nothing to do with being weird or random, people see those coming, believe me. But otoh, lets not imagine people are actually all that good at understanding their fellow human being. I've played poker with the same people over a long course of time where I felt like I made the logical move every single time, based on the information I had and I was labelled unreadable. Unpredictability isn't in your choices, and only partially in your personality. The rest is in the people who are trying to read you.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:49 pm

Post by McMenno »

okay, so here's what you do:

day 1, you lurk it out, make some fluff posts, and then quickhammer when a wagon reaches L-1. day 2, you fake a cop guilty

this is a very good strategy
if you're a jester
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:16 am

Post by Accountant »

I don't think anyone walks into mafia games with a predefined strategy in mind
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:40 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

TL : DR Translation for everyone - "Don't knock my playstyle"
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:43 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 6, MagnaofIllusion wrote:TL : DR Translation for everyone - "Don't knock my playstyle"
I think it's more of a "don't be so tryhard and knock any playstyle that isn't 'perfect' - just have fun and chill"

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:13 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 2, Killthestory wrote:Lol, there's no definitive trick to having fun in Mafia. I never said there was. I said that you should just have fun, and if you don't, then maybe Mafia isn't your thing. I don't know how people have fun, and I really don't care.

You're misunderstanding, I was inserting a clickbait title
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:49 am

In post 7, Accountant wrote:I think it's more of a "don't be so tryhard and knock any playstyle that isn't 'perfect' - just have fun and chill"
No, it's "Don't Knock My Playstyle" prettied up to look like a general post when it is 100% KTS focused. Like all his posts in MD.

Also you should feel bad for using the word "tryhard".

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:50 am

In post 8, kuribo wrote:You're misunderstanding, I was inserting a clickbait title

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:28 am

Post by Accountant »

Whats wrong with using the word tryhard tho

Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:09 am

Post by Killthestory »

In post 3, mykonian wrote:"Mafia is a reflection upon your personality, whether you believe it or not. Striving to be unpredictable can easily be your personality as well, unpredictable."

So wish you wouldn't have picked that one example ;)

Unpredictability has nothing to do with being weird or random, people see those coming, believe me. But otoh, lets not imagine people are actually all that good at understanding their fellow human being. I've played poker with the same people over a long course of time where I felt like I made the logical move every single time, based on the information I had and I was labelled unreadable. Unpredictability isn't in your choices, and only partially in your personality. The rest is in the people who are trying to read you.
That's certainly true. I should probably reword that since people are only unpredictable in the eyes of others which IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M NOT GOING FOR. Thanks for the criticism : )
In post 6, MagnaofIllusion wrote:TL : DR Translation for everyone - "Don't knock my playstyle"
No, it's just my thoughts on social and mafia interaction in general. Don't try to be something you're not, embrace yourself, and embrace others for who they are. Not sure why you're trying to be critical on what I wrote for no reason, but I respect your opinion.
In post 8, kuribo wrote:
In post 2, Killthestory wrote:Lol, there's no definitive trick to having fun in Mafia. I never said there was. I said that you should just have fun, and if you don't, then maybe Mafia isn't your thing. I don't know how people have fun, and I really don't care.

You're misunderstanding, I was inserting a clickbait title
Oh, I get it. Thanks!
In post 9, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In post 7, Accountant wrote:I think it's more of a "don't be so tryhard and knock any playstyle that isn't 'perfect' - just have fun and chill"
No, it's "Don't Knock My Playstyle" prettied up to look like a general post when it is 100% KTS focused. Like all his posts in MD.

Also you should feel bad for using the word "tryhard".
I, uh, can't tell if this is an insult or just a general opinion?

I'm gonna go ahead and instead of repeating myself, just say that your opinion is valued, but please try not to be as condescending.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”