Crazy irrational theory on scum hunting that might backfire.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Crazy irrational theory on scum hunting that might backfire.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:57 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

Lets say you are a player who has a very established meta on this site. Lets say you are playing with more than a few people who know your meta very well in that game.

What if as Town, you start to do things that are Scummy (for you) or just start doing things a wee bit out of character for you. Is this a viable way to Scum hunt?

My thought process behind this is that another Town member is going to be more likely to bring it up as a point than a Scum player. The reason for this lies in the psychological component that everyone has at least a little from being Scum. I believe that Scum inherently chase after things that are not as Scummy as what a Townie would see considering that a Townie is uninhibited from their guilt as a player in the game. Further still, what if you have established yourself as Town in that game? I believe this would have the opposite effect. I believe the change in meta at that point is going to allow the Scum player to see the difference more clearly because of the stark contrast that the rest of Town see in that player.

Thoughts?
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:08 am

Post by McMenno »

maybe you should try this as a jester one day
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:14 am

Post by Hoopla »

A player who displays a lack of uncertainty/curiosity about my alignment usually feels suspicious to me. Also, doing something deliberately strange/scummy to get reactions and reads has a tendency to backfire. Don't know if that answered the thread at all, but I typed it out, so...
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:53 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Reverse Slayer's Gambit?

Could work, but probably less than you think.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:18 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

I think even unintentionally one'll naturally act a bit different from game to game (or just over time) and meta junkies will point it out and make a fuss. No effort necessary from you! :P

I can see this being helpful though, if only because I think in general scum meta less, because it's more work for them thinking about extra stuff in the game like meta (and researching it and so forth) with less reward than it is for town. But I haven't played with more than a few very good scum players, and I don't have experience with the all time best. I assume they'd pick up and point out meta differences just as they would as town especially with players they're very familiar with.
deranged and incoherent
?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:24 am

Post by callforjudgement »

This works if you're an Innocent Child, or otherwise have a very reliable way to prove you're town. The benefits are minor but real.

In other cases, the benefits don't match the risks. (If nothing else, even if you figure out the whole scumteam as a result, it makes it very hard for you to convince other players to lynch the scum that you've found.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
BrainpanSonata
BrainpanSonata
Townie
BrainpanSonata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:26 am

Post by BrainpanSonata »

The reduced likeliness of the scum responding could also be attributed to scum seeing and avoiding the trap. It's heavy wine territory and seems like it could backfire if you apply the criteria to Townies who try to rationalize unusual behavior.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Ever wanted an extra head? Like making gut decisions by committee? Consider the Hydra Academy! Teachers wanted!
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:08 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 0, LicketyQuickety wrote:My thought process behind this is that another Town member is going to be more likely to bring it up as a point than a Scum player.
well, other than all the other reasons it's not a good idea to do something like this, i think your theory is wrong - it's probably more dependent on a player's playstyle than a player's alignment
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:19 am

In post 7, zMuffinMan wrote:
In post 0, LicketyQuickety wrote:My thought process behind this is that another Town member is going to be more likely to bring it up as a point than a Scum player.
well, other than all the other reasons it's not a good idea to do something like this, i think your theory is wrong - it's probably more dependent on a player's playstyle than a player's alignment
How do you catch Scum?

zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:26 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

mostly by looking at things that are probably more dependent on a player's alignment than a player's playstyle
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:32 am

In post 9, zMuffinMan wrote:mostly by looking at things that are probably more dependent on a player's alignment than a player's playstyle
I need a further explanation because you just got done saying that how people react to things has more to do with playstyle than alignment. You are now saying you base your scumhunting not on playstyle, but on alignment. So I think you might be able to see how I could view that as a contradiction.

zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:40 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

no, i said that whether or not someone brings up what is essentially meta is more to do with playstyle than alignment
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:58 am

In post 11, zMuffinMan wrote:no, i said that whether or not someone brings up what is essentially meta is more to do with playstyle than alignment
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am just assuming that you don't read people based on different playstyles and you simply read people based off if they are Scummy or Townie in general. Is this a correct statement?

mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:26 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 0, LicketyQuickety wrote:What if as Town, you start to do things that are Scummy (for you) or just start doing things a wee bit out of character for you. Is this a viable way to Scum hunt?
Yes. I did it all the time. The thing is, though, it only works if you're given select circumstances and mindsets.
  1. You must be trying to use your scum meta to improve your town game, not degrade your townplay into your scumgame. If you're intentionally playing worse than normal, you're gonna eat a mislynch and could potentially even face a ban. (Unlikely, but possible.) The difference is important!
  2. You must have enough players in the game that are
    intimately
    familiar with you. Not just "generally", or "vaguely". Intimate knowledge is a must.
  3. You must be actively prodding the players you are scumhunting using this method: are they giving you a pass when they shouldn't be? Are they jumping onto you for reasons that are entirely unrelated? Does it look like they are waiting to jump on you until later? If so, why? Do they hold suspicion of you?
  4. You must not be too blatant about this. If you broadcast your intentions too openly, the whole effectiveness of the gambit is lost.
  5. You must have a select end point, where you proceed to explain your thought process, step-by-step, and your findings.
Even then, expect to find some heavy retaliation: some town players won't believe you, thinking you're scum covering up your mistakes. Some town players will recognize that you're town, but will doubt the legitimacy of your findings, thinking, "Okay, so what stops scum from doing *this action you attribute to town*, or town from doing *this action you attribute to scum*?"
And, of course! Scum players will fall into one of the two above camps, whichever is more convenient to them.

So, you'll need to be prepared to reply to all of that and scumhunt there, too.

Even after all of this, you'll still be placing yourself at considerable risk, so it always helps to have a backup plan in place. I never did this without some idea of what could go wrong, and a countermeasure to that. It's also something that can't be done consistently. Once in a blue moon, sure, but if it becomes the new norm for you...then it loses its potency, as scum are quick to adjust.

So, is it a possible, even viable, scumhunting tactic?

Yes.

But ONLY under specific conditions, and even if those conditions are met, it is something that has a fair failure rate, and reasonably low success rate. Meaning, I would not recommend heavy reliance on this. It'd be a tool, and nothing more.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:38 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

In post 12, LicketyQuickety wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I am just assuming that you don't read people based on different playstyles and you simply read people based off if they are Scummy or Townie in general. Is this a correct statement?
no, not really

i look at a lot of different things when i think about whether a person might be scum or town, but what you're asking here only serves to prove the point; whether or not someone brings up meta is entirely based on how they play (unless they're such bad scum players that they don't do what they'd normally do as town)
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:42 am

In post 13, mastin2 wrote:
In post 0, LicketyQuickety wrote:What if as Town, you start to do things that are Scummy (for you) or just start doing things a wee bit out of character for you. Is this a viable way to Scum hunt?
Yes. I did it all the time. The thing is, though, it only works if you're given select circumstances and mindsets.
  1. You must be trying to use your scum meta to improve your town game, not degrade your townplay into your scumgame. If you're intentionally playing worse than normal, you're gonna eat a mislynch and could potentially even face a ban. (Unlikely, but possible.) The difference is important!
  2. You must have enough players in the game that are
    intimately
    familiar with you. Not just "generally", or "vaguely". Intimate knowledge is a must.
  3. You must be actively prodding the players you are scumhunting using this method: are they giving you a pass when they shouldn't be? Are they jumping onto you for reasons that are entirely unrelated? Does it look like they are waiting to jump on you until later? If so, why? Do they hold suspicion of you?
  4. You must not be too blatant about this. If you broadcast your intentions too openly, the whole effectiveness of the gambit is lost.
  5. You must have a select end point, where you proceed to explain your thought process, step-by-step, and your findings.
Even then, expect to find some heavy retaliation: some town players won't believe you, thinking you're scum covering up your mistakes. Some town players will recognize that you're town, but will doubt the legitimacy of your findings, thinking, "Okay, so what stops scum from doing *this action you attribute to town*, or town from doing *this action you attribute to scum*?"
And, of course! Scum players will fall into one of the two above camps, whichever is more convenient to them.

So, you'll need to be prepared to reply to all of that and scumhunt there, too.

Even after all of this, you'll still be placing yourself at considerable risk, so it always helps to have a backup plan in place. I never did this without some idea of what could go wrong, and a countermeasure to that. It's also something that can't be done consistently. Once in a blue moon, sure, but if it becomes the new norm for you...then it loses its potency, as scum are quick to adjust.

So, is it a possible, even viable, scumhunting tactic?

Yes.

But ONLY under specific conditions, and even if those conditions are met, it is something that has a fair failure rate, and reasonably low success rate. Meaning, I would not recommend heavy reliance on this. It'd be a tool, and nothing more.
Thank you for explaining that is such detail, mastina. Needless to say, I will have to establish myself much more as a player before I even think about using this maneuver. But is nice to know that even this zany theory that I had does in fact hold a place in the world of Mafia. I am relieved that it does because it allows me to see that playing somewhat creatively (or just with a gob ton of experience) that more pathways to different kinds of plays are available at more advanced levels.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:44 am

In post 14, zMuffinMan wrote:
In post 12, LicketyQuickety wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I am just assuming that you don't read people based on different playstyles and you simply read people based off if they are Scummy or Townie in general. Is this a correct statement?
no, not really

i look at a lot of different things when i think about whether a person might be scum or town, but what you're asking here only serves to prove the point; whether or not someone brings up meta is entirely based on how they play (unless they're such bad scum players that they don't do what they'd normally do as town)
mastin has answered my question, but thank you for giving your perspective.

Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:10 pm

Post by Wisdom »

Yep, i do this a lot and it helps me. Its dangerous though if youre not capable of not being mislynched
Skrub
Skrub
Goon
Skrub
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:42 pm

Post by Skrub »

But what if your town meta is that you always look scummy and your scum meta is that you always look townie?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:17 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 18, Skrub wrote:But what if your town meta is that you always look scummy and your scum meta is that you always look townie?
Then you are destined to win as scum all the games.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:59 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 18, Skrub wrote:But what if your town meta is that you always look scummy and your scum meta is that you always look townie?
Lynch him when I townread him.
That's how I read nacho for a while.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:46 am

In post 20, GuyInFreezer wrote:
Lynch him when I townread him.
That's how I read nacho for a while.
Even Nacho?? Damn, I had no idea.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:07 am

Your meta is going to change by the time you get to the level that you can pull this off. Just through experience you Town meta is going to get more Townie and then it is your job to make your Scum meta look as Townie as your Townie meta. I had a horrible record of getting lynched Day 1 for a long time (or what seemed like a long time) and now I am able to play in a way where I live a lot longer, sometimes even getting killed N1. Its still somewhat of a problem for me, I still haven't got all the kinks out, but I am improving and that is what it is about.

mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:19 am

Post by mastin2 »

Congratulations, you are now among a select group of scummers: the group that is most likely very good at the game (the one and only thing in question being how good you scumhunt), but hates every minute of it.

The first few times you're good at scum, you're proud of it. You think it's an accomplishment that you're that good.
The next few times you're good at scum, you're still thrilled that you haven't lost your touch.
The next few times you're good at scum, you begin to get a series of emotions: annoyance and even boredom.
If those emotions don't sabotage your scumgame and you're still winning, eventually they shift into being sick of it and absolute apathy.

Doesn't take long for those to turn into hatred after that.

You'd be surprised at the vast number of scummers who, simply by playing when landing scum, have a near-guaranteed victory.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:25 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 23, mastin2 wrote:You'd be surprised at the vast number of scummers who, simply by playing when landing scum, have a near-guaranteed victory.
If you were scum, who would be your two or three partners for your dream team?
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew

Return to “Mafia Discussion”