When were you amazed by someone else's play?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

When were you amazed by someone else's play?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:50 am

Post by Vampirate »

Finished games obviously, when were the times you as a player were just astonished by someone else's play?

I'm talking more than just being impressed, but something that truly surprised you and made you go 'wow'.

This also isn't a generic topics for scummies as well, it can be that someone was playing at a level you've never seen them play before.
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:54 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

Just to clarify we mean this in the POSITIVE sense right? :mrgreen:
deranged and incoherent
?
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:55 am

Post by Transcend »

Just got cranked by new player joushi. Thought he had 0 chance of being scum. Amazing.
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:58 am

Post by Transcend »

Karnos and snoe also impressed me. To some degree, almost50 and Zyf impressed me as well.

Those were all wolf games i mentioned. I haven't been blown away by anyone's spectacular town performance yet.
BrainpanSonata
BrainpanSonata
Townie
BrainpanSonata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:31 am

Post by BrainpanSonata »

One game, two players. Player One was an Oracle who got creative and used his NA to ask how many total posts the scum made on D1. After Player One claimed and revealed his NA, Player Two used a script to scrape the thread and make a tally of D1 posts. Then they continued this teamwork on N2 and D3 to account for anti-Town 3rd party roles.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Ever wanted an extra head? Like making gut decisions by committee? Consider the Hydra Academy! Teachers wanted!
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:28 am

Post by kuribo »

DGB in Gay Mafia 2. She was the Serial Killer and weaved such a tangled web throughout the town that by the time it was over she had convinced the town that a mod-confirmed result was a scum ploy. I've often said I have a 100% success rate at reading DGB, and this game proved it because I got drunk in twilight Day 1 and called her scum so she killed me. She killed the people that needed to die, she kept alive the ones she could fool, and stayed alive. A masterclass in third-party play.

Fate in Gay Mafia 1, speaking of. Me, DGB, katsuki, and delta wave thought we had the game in the bag by Day 2. We had like no associative tells to each other, we voted in a bloc and we watched the beloved princess get lynched while avoiding his wagon and protesting it. Then fucking Fate jail keeps Delta out of a kill, calls out me and DGB as partners for our mason soft claim, and that was pretty much the downfall from there
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:33 am

Post by Accountant »

Frozen Angel in the game whose name I forgot. I had her 100% pegged as newbtown, a little clueless and trying hard to stay relevant. She played me like a fiddle all game - I don't think a single person scumread her throughout that game, and she pulled off a perfect win with her scum buddy.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:55 am

Post by Something_Smart »

The scariest scum players I've seen:
Parama
Dewy
Cerberus v666
Nahdia

Town is tougher because the success of a town is often dependent on the actions and interactions of multiple players.
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:21 am

Post by Transcend »

Oh yeah Nahdia is incredible wolf. I have first hand experience with her.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:21 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 4, BrainpanSonata wrote:One game, two players. Player One was an Oracle who got creative and used his NA to ask how many total posts the scum made on D1.
I would consider answering that question to be a moderator error.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:57 am

Post by Creature »

When I know someone fooled me as scum, I usually never townread them again.
Sigh
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 3, Transcend wrote:I haven't been blown away by anyone's spectacular town performance yet.
Usually you are only surprised on someones performance when you see them as a different alignment.
I am usually only surprised on a town players performance when I am scum for instance.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:06 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 8, Transcend wrote:Oh yeah Nahdia is incredible wolf. I have first hand experience with her.
They are not that incredible imo. Pretty strong town usually though, the scum games I have seen Nahdia play was riddled with not trying and floating by, which I guess is impressive that they could get away with it? Not too much actual deceiving.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 am

Post by Accountant »

Uhhhh yoy'd have to be pretty damn good at scum to be able to literally sit there and do nothing and win the gamr

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:02 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 13, Accountant wrote:Uhhhh yoy'd have to be pretty damn good at scum to be able to literally sit there and do nothing and win the gamr
Not really.
The town just have to not pay attention to you, which is pretty easy to do since 90% towns unfold on themselves without scum assistance.

Being active scum who is engaging and trying to actively deceive and throw town through loops is actually extremely risky these days and I see it a lot less. The mets is shifting where players are better off trying to just let town devour each other than participate much.

I can name like so many recent games where it's become this.
Show

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:10 am

People probably don't do lurker lynches as often as they should. Partly this is because scum often push lurkers, thus trying to lynch them may well be being seen as scummy.
scum
town
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:21 am

Post by Firebringer »

That's kind of different problem with just lurking versus not actively trying to game solve.
Too different problems, like no one calls a lurker good when they win because well not posting isn't impressive, but an active person who somehow avoided all major scrutiny by "floating" will be praised when they never put themselves out there enough to be looked at enough by everyone for that scrutiny.

Like I am impressed when a player is held by everyone as town and is in the limelight of most days, meaning they aren't some passive presence in the game days they are pushing the game days forward and everyone has opinions on them. That's impressive scum play to me when it's pulled off, but rarely is.

Should that play be done more? I don't know, if you really want to test your skills I think that's what you have to do, but it's hard to win like that imo.
Show

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:45 am

I won like that in my last game, although admittedly I was town and the setup was townsided. I think it's possible as scum too, and in highly townsided setups, it may be scum's best option for trying to eke out a win.
scum
town
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:46 am

Post by Accountant »

If I was scum and won by coasting I'd go straight to my hypothetical wiki page and record that game as a loss

There's no honor or self-improvement to be obtained from such a cowardly victory

zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:58 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

coasting as scum is sometimes a necessity

it's not bad scum play, even though it's not memorable "oh my god amazing deception" scum play either

it's just solid scum play and actually probably something most scum players should strive for... as scum, the majority of the time you want to stay above the line of "in lynch contention" but below the line of "why is this guy still alive?" and as long as you're somewhere in the middle there and stay there for the entire game, you're playing really well

edit: as for the topic at hand, firebringer is probably mostly right in that the only time i would ever be impressed by someone's play is if i were the opposite alignment to them most likely (or perhaps if i read a game i wasn't in, but i don't do that)... actually so far i can't recall any times i've been impressed by someone's play to the extent i thought "wow, amazing" or something like that but there's a decent number of players who i don't enjoy playing against as scum, i guess (or rather, players who i think i wouldn't be able to play a slack scum game against and let them live deep into the game)
Last edited by zMuffinMan on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 19, zMuffinMan wrote:coasting as scum is sometimes a necessity

it's not bad scum play, even though it's not memorable "oh my god amazing deception" scum play either

it's just solid scum play and actually probably something most scum players should strive for... as scum, the majority of the time you want to stay above the line of "in lynch contention" but below the line of "why is this guy still alive?" and as long as you're somewhere in the middle there and stay there for the entire game, you're playing really well
Eh. To be honest, it's one of the first things I look for as town.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:04 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

i mean, there's different ways of doing it so doing it in a less subtle way isn't a good thing (for precisely that reason; some people look for players who are just trying to stay afloat) but being somewhere in the middle doesn't necessarily mean "coasting" - i just meant that i don't fault a player for coasting if they don't need to put in more effort (or if putting in more effort might actually be detrimental)
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:01 am

Post by Postie »

In post 6, Accountant wrote:Frozen Angel in the game whose name I forgot. I had her 100% pegged as newbtown,
Sounds like my first game with Frozen Angel. ;__;
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:05 am

Post by Postie »

RE: coasting - kinda depends what's meant by "coasting". If we're talking active lurking then yeah that's a terrible way to win; otherwise, meh.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:16 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

If there are other people coasting and the game is in danger of an apathy spiral/essentially dying, then also coasting as scum is just too optimal to pass up.

I'd argue that being "that guy" to drive a game going and keep everyone engaged is just too beneficial for town even if it makes you get townread... in general I see a lot of scum do pro-town things and help town and I just don't think it's worth it for them most of the time lol.
deranged and incoherent
?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”