The G.O.A.T

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:53 am

Post by Accountant »

I want to win a scummy for best mafia player because I love playing scum
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:08 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

I think cooperation is an essential town skill; when town is able to engage is constructive discussion and cooperation that's called a town bloc and gives town quite a high win rate. Of course, if people refuse to cooperate, there's nothing you can do, but mafia is a team game so sometimes other people are gong to bring you team down.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:22 am

Post by Transcend »

In post 125, Accountant wrote:I want to win a scummy for best mafia player because I love playing scum
I hope I never draw town when you're scum because I was floored when you flipped scum in Nahdia's mini.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:29 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 127, Transcend wrote:
In post 125, Accountant wrote:I want to win a scummy for best mafia player because I love playing scum
I hope I never draw town when you're scum because I was floored when you flipped scum in Nahdia's mini.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:36 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 127, Transcend wrote:
Aww, thank you
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:44 am

Post by Ircher »

Why can't I be the god of all things?
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
RachMarie
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
RachMarie
HUGS ♥
HUGS ♥

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:30 am

Post by RachMarie »

Definitely Nacho for sure if we are going with more recentlish players, very few of the older ones have I played with since I did not join until Jan 2012. When he is town and I am town, we win pretty much every game we play together. And that is because he manages to keep me from being lynched and I analyze things for him and yeah we are going to hydra together.

Thor rocks particularly in smaller games including the newbie games. I have not played many times with CES but he is amazing even if the lack of verbosity takes a while to get used to.

Kuribo definitely fooled me in the last game when he was scum and I would LOVE to be on a scum team with him sometime, or hydra with him for sure.

I think there is always room for improvement in the game and learning more, i certainly know I have a lot of room for improvement and think of myself as a middling level player but who most people like to play with, because of my personality.
BRAND NEW Get to know me http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=69243
Like the phoenix I am rising from the ashes
chilledtea: We played bad on day 2 when we lynched rach.

YT Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0psF_ ... Jpw/videos
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 54, Firebringer wrote:
In post 53, MattP wrote:kanyeknowsbest was scary good as both town and scum
I don't believe this.
I can confirm.
In post 62, mastin2 wrote:Nero Cain's another, though you do have to live with his attitude and recognize he's good at identifying scum not lynching them.
Thanks and yes. :(

I think Peregrine V is a pretty solid hunter but he's...very very lacking in the scum game. Mastermind of Sin is good but I don't think I've ever seen him as scum.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 124, Vi wrote:
In post 112, SpyreX wrote: I don't want to say it's impossible to influence these people, but it's beyond dozens of pages of my best efforts - whether the people I'm trying to influence are actively suspecting me or not.
To be fair I'm pretty stubborn especially with people I truly believe are scum. (I was just really wrong on you) It's also me pushing anyone because yolo. (I know Hoopla said I probably have some inferiority complex or something where I want to challenge better players than me, but it's probably more pride and me putting my foot down, taking the high road not the low hanging fruit etc)

Basically to say that I'm still weak and am still waiting for that 'talk' you said you'd give. I would really appreciate that.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:09 am

Post by Vi »

...oh, right. You're one of the relatively few people I don't viscerally hate coming out of that game.

I thought about it, but given my part in how that game went down, I decided it would be better if I shut up and stopped acting like I knew anything. A year removed from the game, I would have to reread it to remember what I wanted to say to you, and like hell if I'm doing that. It's nothing personal and I've nothing against you; I just don't want to go there again.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:30 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Fair enough, I don't wish any stress on you. Thank you.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 75, Vi wrote:
In post 74, popsofctown wrote:Strong players are so fun to play with.
Not in quantity, but two or three at a time maybe. Games that are full of (perceived-to-be) strong players tend to be intolerable overlapping ego trips.
But not always... I've been reading an old game with the best playerlist.

Amrun, Cogito Ergo Sum, Debonair Danny DiPietro, Ghostlin, glowball, jasonT1981, Kublai Khan, lewarcher82, Llamarble, Quilford, Sotty7, Untrod Tripod (rep. by saulres), Vi, VP Baltar, XReckonerX, xvart
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Post by kuribo »

Man saulres I always thought that guy was underrated as both a player and a mod
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:02 am

Post by Vi »

saulres underrated himself. <_< He's another person I'd gladly play with.
Amrun, Cogito Ergo Sum, Debonair Danny DiPietro, Ghostlin, glowball, jasonT1981, Kublai Khan, lewarcher82, Llamarble, Quilford, Sotty7, Untrod Tripod (rep. by saulres), Vi, VP Baltar, XReckonerX, xvart
uh... oh oh oh, I remember this... vaguely... just not the game.

EDIT: petsPick. My wiki page says that you and glowball had some kind of off-color conversation toward the end but I don't want to dig through the archive to see it :?
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:51 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 138, Vi wrote:saulres underrated himself. <_< He's another person I'd gladly play with.

EDIT: petsPick. My wiki page says that you and glowball had some kind of off-color conversation toward the end but I don't want to dig through the archive to see it :?
Yup. It was almost lost in the 2011 crash, but awesome Tierce managed to cache-save it. I just recently rediscovered it when I found a downloaded folder of it and re-read through it.

It's not only amazing because highly skilled players were butting heads, but all conversations and scum-hunting was done civilly. If anyone stepped over a line, an apology was quickly offered. Players were called idiots at times (as always), but it wasn't excessive and things were fine. It took place over Thanksgiving and Christmas with only one replacement and I'm sure UT didn't replace out because he wasn't having fun. I think even for 2011 it was a bit of an exception. A great playerlist makes a great game. (Also zor is an awesome mod).

And yes, saulres definitely underrated himself. He was awesome to play with.

Oh, and the glowball discussion was pretty funny. She opened up LYLO with a threat to vote because it was her *ahem* time of the month. So there was a little back-and-forth about that.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:16 am

Post by Vi »

Is it my imagination, or do you just ~happen~ to wind up in convos like that? :p

Noticeable about that player list: a relative absence of established jerks.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:19 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

Heh. I don't seek them out, for sure.

I wouldn't say jerks per se, but on re-reading it, there was an absence of close-minded rage bullying insistence that certain lynches had to be done. I mean, there were a few f-bombs dropped to indicate frustration and anger. Nobody busted out 100% fonts to bolster their incredulity. Nobody was super personal. Nobody was obnoxious.

It certainly was a group that meshed well in their personalities. Being a player that people enjoy playing with should be a consideration in determining a G.O.A.T.. If people are still pissed off at you in the endgame, then I wouldn't consider a game a successful one (even if you are the MVP).

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:35 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 136, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 75, Vi wrote:
In post 74, popsofctown wrote:Strong players are so fun to play with.
Not in quantity, but two or three at a time maybe. Games that are full of (perceived-to-be) strong players tend to be intolerable overlapping ego trips.
But not always... I've been reading an old game with the best playerlist.

The flipside to this.

Is that Anything Goes and Night Shift both were games that happened.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Post by Sotty7 »

In post 139, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 138, Vi wrote:saulres underrated himself. <_< He's another person I'd gladly play with.

Yup. It was almost lost in the 2011 crash, but awesome Tierce managed to cache-save it. I just recently rediscovered it when I found a downloaded folder of it and re-read through it.

It's not only amazing because highly skilled players were butting heads, but all conversations and scum-hunting was done civilly. If anyone stepped over a line, an apology was quickly offered. Players were called idiots at times (as always), but it wasn't excessive and things were fine. It took place over Thanksgiving and Christmas with only one replacement and I'm sure UT didn't replace out because he wasn't having fun. I think even for 2011 it was a bit of an exception. A great playerlist makes a great game. (Also zor is an awesome mod).

And yes, saulres definitely underrated himself. He was awesome to play with.

Oh, and the glowball discussion was pretty funny. She opened up LYLO with a threat to vote because it was her *ahem* time of the month. So there was a little back-and-forth about that.
This was pet mafia wasn't it? I remember be so convinced Triple D was town it killed me. A very enjoyable game, filled with great players.

This thread was just shown to me and I feel quite humbled to be even mentioned it. At the same time, part of me also wonders if I shouldn't have come back under an alt :lol:
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 139, Kublai Khan wrote:I'm sure UT didn't replace out because he wasn't having fun
no fuck you I was so maddddddddddddddddd
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:14 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

Interesting read all. So many great players I have played with over the years that I could never choose just one as tops. Most of those players*** were mentioned here tho, so no need to pile on. :D

*** no love for pieguyn???
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5
Replaced Out (Mafia) 3-2 (incl hydra game with Nero where I flaked)

Ongoing
None
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:30 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 93, BROseidon wrote:
In post 20, Raskolnikov wrote:i want to know who has the highest town winrate over a large sample of games
I think I was at like 70% in my first 20 or so games, but then I burned out and started playing like shit.

I think LLD's winrate is stupid high as both alignments, though.
What are you talking about I only play one alignment because I only ever
draw
one alignment~.

In all seriousness, I don't think we can call any one player on our site the G.O.A.T because Mafia isn't a unilateral game.

If I had to pick the greatest of all time at logically pulling together actions to the exclusion of distractions, I'd pick Llmarble.

If I had to pick the greatest of all time at intuitively reading a game and posting almost next to nothing, yet managing to drive lynches and be incredibly effective, I'd pick CES.

And that's just 2 styles of TOWN game, let alone scum.

So yeah, I'm in concurrence with whomever said there is a "S-tier" of players and I consider myself to be in that S-tier, I think.

I'm not sure if that's arrogant to say, but I do.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:31 am

In post 95, Vi wrote:
In post 93, BROseidon wrote:
In post 20, Raskolnikov wrote:i want to know who has the highest town winrate over a large sample of games
I think I was at like 70% in my first 20 or so games, but then I burned out and started playing like shit.

I think LLD's winrate is stupid high as both alignments, though.
I've definitely noticed a trend of looking at random Theme games and noticing that LLD was alive at endgame, and also scum.
you'd think people would figure out she doesn't draw Town
oh, someone else said it for me.

Yeah I'd love to go through my games and see my rate of drawing scum vs. town.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:38 am

Like, Fate and Faraday are both kind of masters of their craft, both extremely strong players and for completely different reasons.

Faraday puts you off your guard. He make you feel comfortable with him and as town that lets him see a lot of your intentions more clearly. As scum, he's got this capability to make people over look him despite how strong he is, just by being funny and smart. I don't think anyone else on the site uses humor and likeability as a weapon in quite the same way Faraday does.

On the opposite end, Fate is an imposing intimidating player. Where Faraday makes your guard slip, Fate puts so much pressure on it,, it cracks. You never know what will set him onto wanting to kill you and so you're always nervous with interactions around him. This wouldn't mean anything if he wasn't able to back up that pressure with a near godlike ability to push through lynches on sheer force of will and personality.

You'll note that neither of those are like "they're extremely prolific at reading people" because that's not as important as how their other sets of skills increase their win %.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:54 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 146, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:So yeah, I'm in concurrence with whomever said there is a "S-tier" of players and I consider myself to be in that S-tier, I think.
That was me! I said that!

And yeah you're defos S-tier.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”