Strategy to Identify PRs in a game?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Strategy to Identify PRs in a game?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Post by ironstove »

Is there any specific type of behavior, words, or way to spot crumbs of people who are assigned as PRs?

Some people seem to be ridiculously good at identifying someone is a PR rather than vanilla town/mafia goon without that person ever softing, and I want to know if there is some sort of strategy behind this or identification that I am missing and unable to figure out.

Thank you!
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Post by Firebringer »

There's a few things I think you can tell in someone's posting, for instance very confident they won't get lynched is PR tell, some people lurk the background the games and don't try to participate much (relying on role to sort stuff out), players more skeptical of claims are often more likely PR depending on context of setup
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 am

Post by Psyche »

apathy about what happens during the day (reflected in a lot of possible ways), confidence that one can avoid a lynch, hints of game knowledge beyond what's known in the thread (perhaps that someone is/isn't scum or that a claim is specious; if someone seems to believe something with confidence unwarranted by what's in the thread, they're more likely to be either a PR or scum), an unwillingness to replace out (VTs probably replace out more),

can't think of any more off the top of my head
people aware of tells like these can rather easily fake or avoid them, and several can suggest scum instead of pr, too

in general when wondering how to identify people with particular role pms you should ask yourself how the role pm might affect the attitudes, feelings, or beliefs of the particular people you suspect might have them, and how said differences could be reflected in their behavior
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:35 am

Post by kuribo »

Gotta call bullshit on confidence in avoiding the lynch being a PR tell

At least for me
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:09 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

In post 3, kuribo wrote:Gotta call bullshit on confidence in avoiding the lynch being a PR tell

At least for me
agree, unless they're reckless by nature I see them be more careful than usual to avoid being wagoned and forced to claim. I personally find that passive play extremely boring so I just play like VT anyways though.
Is there any specific type of behavior, words, or way to spot crumbs of people who are assigned as PRs?
A few times I've scumread PRs for low scumhunting and for feeling satisfied with having really weak/no reads, I think that sense of "complacency" towards the end of deadline can be a PR tell for investigatives specifically (for obvious reasons)
I don't know how wizards like ranger are so good at pr hunting though, reading people so consistently even down to what specific pr they have.
deranged and incoherent
?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:44 am

Post by Psyche »

oh and prs often avoid things like reads lists
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:41 am

Post by callforjudgement »

If someone sharply changes their read on someone overnight, and can't or doesn't want to explain it, they're probably a PR. (It's also possible that they're scum, especially if it happened close to lylo, but that's less common.) Actually, it's fairly common for PRs to overexaggerate a read change in order that people can deduce what their results were after they die.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
BrainpanSonata
BrainpanSonata
Townie
BrainpanSonata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:12 am

Post by BrainpanSonata »

This is a tell that requires a good deal of finesse to be able to distinguish it from a scumtell, but I've know some PR players to give less merit to scumhunting.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Ever wanted an extra head? Like making gut decisions by committee? Consider the Hydra Academy! Teachers wanted!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”