Phase Lengths

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Phase Lengths

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:06 am

Post by PantherPunt »

I know site meta is 2-3 week long day phases and 48 hour nights.

Are there ever shorter phase length games? Are they allowed and just not run due to lack of interest? Or disallowed?

I know there are people who are on here multiple hours a day, every day. I'd love to see the occasional 36/12 or 48/24 games but that might be too large a leap. Maybe 5d/2d or 6d/1d though?
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:31 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

We tried a Blitz queue where we had short days, but it didn't work out. You can still have a game in some of the other queues that are that short, it would just need to be pointed out in the rules in the signups.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:33 am

Post by Majiffy »

24/12, 48/24s are not uncommon on less formal mafia-playing sites.

I'd love to see Blitz length games come back in. Till then, the shortest you'll usually find are Micros.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:12 am

Post by Porochaz »

Oh hey, it's this almost monthly thread. Search is your friend.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:40 am

Post by vonflare »

oh, prozac.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:42 am

Post by Porochaz »

oh, vera.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:46 am

Post by vonflare »

oh, sole mio
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:48 am

Post by PantherPunt »

In post 3, Porochaz wrote:Oh hey, it's this almost monthly thread. Search is your friend.
did some searches and got nothing

sorry to have caused you to waste your time making a patronizing reply
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:50 am

Post by PantherPunt »

In post 1, Alchemist21 wrote:We tried a Blitz queue where we had short days, but it didn't work out. You can still have a game in some of the other queues that are that short, it would just need to be pointed out in the rules in the signups.
I think I tried to propose hosting a game but was told I had to host games in certain queues where setup and phase length were given to me by a list mod before I was allowed to run my own setup. Never went through the formal process.

Was just wondering if they happend/how often/if I could do anything to get into one
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:52 am

Post by vonflare »

In post 7, PantherPunt wrote:
In post 3, Porochaz wrote:Oh hey, it's this almost monthly thread. Search is your friend.

ayy I like this guy
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:39 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

That's because you're in the wrong forum my friend. This belongs in MD.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

hello pantherpunt how are you doing
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 0, PantherPunt wrote:I know site meta is 2-3 week long day phases and 48 hour nights.

Are there ever shorter phase length games? Are they allowed and just not run due to lack of interest? Or disallowed?

I know there are people who are on here multiple hours a day, every day. I'd love to see the occasional 36/12 or 48/24 games but that might be too large a leap. Maybe 5d/2d or 6d/1d though?
I started running mine with scaling deadlines. So 2 weeks or so for D1 that diminishes as the number of days go by. I keep a minimum deadline of 5 days per day though. 48h is the norm for non-blitz nights though players can request an early night; people have lives which can make 24h nights a bit of a squeeze.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:16 am

Post by Glork »

MS used to have faster phases (like, 8+ years ago), but the meta shifted to accommodate people who live working lives and can't be on the site as frequently. It's still possible to find the occasional 1-week/1-day game or something, but for the most part no, games here last for several months.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:30 am

Post by PantherPunt »

In post 10, animorpherv1 wrote:

That's because you're in the wrong forum my friend. This belongs in MD.
ah, I see thanks.
In post 11, Zachstralkita wrote:hello pantherpunt how are you doing
lol hey Zach. I know you're down for them short phases. we gotta get another game together soon
In post 12, Ircher wrote:
In post 0, PantherPunt wrote:I know site meta is 2-3 week long day phases and 48 hour nights.

I started running mine with scaling deadlines. So 2 weeks or so for D1 that diminishes as the number of days go by. I keep a minimum deadline of 5 days per day though. 48h is the norm for non-blitz nights though players can request an early night; people have lives which can make 24h nights a bit of a squeeze.
I like the scaling concept
In post 13, Glork wrote:MS used to have faster phases (like, 8+ years ago), but the meta shifted to accommodate people who live working lives and can't be on the site as frequently. It's still possible to find the occasional 1-week/1-day game or something, but for the most part no, games here last for several months.
I see. I work 50-60 hours a week. Fortunately, I can spend an hour or so (or 4 depending on business) each day at work in a game.

I understand shifting the meta for accomodation purposes. My personal opinion is just that it's not necessary that
every
game posted for sign-ups accomodate
every
potential level of business. I'm sure there is a decent sample of the population who would and could play faster phases. So if a somewhat proportional number of sign-ups (1 in 10-20 even?) featured those faster phases, I don't think it would put anyone out.

I think the phase lenghts that lead to the multiple month game lengths promote apathy and are a big reason you see such a high rate of subs, which imho is MS's biggest downfall. A game where half of the slots are replaced and a couple are replaced 2-3 times really detracts from the actual spirit of the game for me - reading someone, their progressions, holding them accountable for things, etc.

idk
Vampirate
Vampirate
Goon
Vampirate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:59 am

Post by Vampirate »

Hey Panther, how's it hanging?
You are not more paranoid than me!!!!
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:34 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 14, PantherPunt wrote:
In post 11, Zachstralkita wrote:hello pantherpunt how are you doing
lol hey Zach. I know you're down for them short phases. we gotta get another game together soon
We def needa play again, short phases that aren't too short would be potentially okay though? I'm much more comfortable with a game that allows breathing room when you've got shit to do, though.
BrainpanSonata
BrainpanSonata
Townie
BrainpanSonata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:03 am

Post by BrainpanSonata »

Kongregate mafia games have 98 hr days and 48 hr nights as the standard. Having to adjust to the longer phases here was a little odd for me.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Ever wanted an extra head? Like making gut decisions by committee? Consider the Hydra Academy! Teachers wanted!
BlackStar
BlackStar
he/him
Mafia Scum
BlackStar
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:38 am

Post by BlackStar »

I miss the blitz games
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 8, PantherPunt wrote:I think I tried to propose hosting a game but was told I had to host games in certain queues where setup and phase length were given to me by a list mod before I was allowed to run my own setup. Never went through the formal process.

Was just wondering if they happend/how often/if I could do anything to get into one
Phase lengths aren't determined by list moderator, if I remember correctly (with exception of the Newbie Queue). You might have to double-check with LlamaFluff for the Open Queue, but Blitz-style games have been run in the Normal Queue in the past and are allowed as long as the shortened deadlines are announced beforehand.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:48 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I think the Micro Queue is the one that most often gets Blitz games; there's normally one there every couple of months.

For your first game, the only legal queues are Open (with the restriction that you're assigned the setup to run) and Normal (with the restriction that your game can be no more than 13 players). I like to think that the Open Queue is for moderators who care about the moderation part of moderation, and are destined for a career in the Newbie Queues running identical game after identical game and getting awards for how smoothly their games are run; whereas the Normal Queue is for moderators who care about the setup design part, and are likely to end up in the Micro or Theme queues long-term running games of their own devising. In this case, if you wanted a blitz-deadlines game as your first game, you'd probably have to run a Mini Normal so that you could design the details of the setup.

I should point out that the Normal Queue tends to have a shorter wait time if you're good at designing setups; you have to convince a team of reviewers that your setup is worth running, but you get to do that in parallel with getting to the front of the queue, so if you know what you're doing the review doesn't hold the setup up at all.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
PantherPunt
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
PantherPunt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:43 am

Post by PantherPunt »

In post 20, callforjudgement wrote:I think the Micro Queue is the one that most often gets Blitz games; there's normally one there every couple of months.

For your first game, the only legal queues are Open (with the restriction that you're assigned the setup to run) and Normal (with the restriction that your game can be no more than 13 players). I like to think that the Open Queue is for moderators who care about the moderation part of moderation, and are destined for a career in the Newbie Queues running identical game after identical game and getting awards for how smoothly their games are run; whereas the Normal Queue is for moderators who care about the setup design part, and are likely to end up in the Micro or Theme queues long-term running games of their own devising. In this case, if you wanted a blitz-deadlines game as your first game, you'd probably have to run a Mini Normal so that you could design the details of the setup.

I should point out that the Normal Queue tends to have a shorter wait time if you're good at designing setups; you have to convince a team of reviewers that your setup is worth running, but you get to do that in parallel with getting to the front of the queue, so if you know what you're doing the review doesn't hold the setup up at all.
Thanks much for this response.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Post by Persivul »

In post 0, PantherPunt wrote:Maybe 5d/2d
I just put one of these in the micro queue. Hasn't been posted by list mod yet. Exact 5d/2d cycle because it's based on the NFL - results each week generate PRs.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Post by Firebringer »

If you guys want bigger blitz games, upcoming game in Mini Theme queue is Watch Dogs which will be Blitz.
I will also note depending on the success of that, I may do a Large Theme Blitz not long after that.

Trying to do Blitz games in Micro queue every few weeks for the small demand we have for them.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

I for one enjoy longer games, but feel 14 days may be slightly too long

Doesn't help that some people want to spend every moment of time, or when nobody is willing to budge

In terms of modding what is reasonable? I feel like 10 days will scare people away and maybe a tad short

Is 12 days reasonable/noticable?

Should day 1 be 14 days?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”