"villager" terminology

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:04 am

Post by Zorblag »

In post 18, callforjudgement wrote:A trust tell is any pattern you establish that allows yourself to prove yourself as town, and then refuse to follow the same pattern as scum because it would prevent you using it to win future town games.

Always telling the truth is a trust tell unless you refuse to answer questions about your alignment regardless of what your alignment is (because as soon as you say "I am town" and expect players to believe it, not saying "I am town" as scum is basically sacrificing your chance to win this game in the hope of winning future games).

Trust tells have been banned here for a while.
Right, this would technically count, though the behavior Troll describes would be hopefully be banned for playing against win conditions here anyhow. The games in question were very whimsical and usually fast. People had fun and called it mafia, but it no was "good" mafia.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:12 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

can I umm, pet Troll? or ummmm, feed Troll things?

does Troll get along with kitties or ferrets?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:38 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 24, drealmerz7 wrote:Yeah, I'm just wondering about the normals. I have a large theme I want to host eventually, and other theme ideas in my head I want to eventually work on. So, gotta do the hosting of 2 normals first, which I'm looking forward to, but am trying to work out the settings and what terminology I can use before I get too far along with working on them.
The general advice for Normals is that a) any flavour you have must be entirely original and created for the game (you can't do, say, a Harry Potter themed normal, but you could do a pirate-themed normal set in your own fictional pirate universe); b) the flavour should only be in posts in the game thread, not in role PMs or night action results; c) roles that play identically must be named identically; d) there should be no way for the players to be able to use hints from the flavour to gain an advantage in the game. What this amounts to in practice is that you design an unflavoured Normal, then post extra flavour in the thread while the game is ongoing.

It wasn't in the Normal queue, but here's an example of a game (one of mine) that follows the Normal flavour rules. It's set in a fictional universe that I designed just for that game, the flavour is restricted to modposts in the game thread (mostly lynch posts), and the role PMs (which are visible in post #1) are unflavoured.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

Thanks, I do get that. I think it's just hard for me to separate the creative world that is in my head (Vanilla Raider) with the mechanical world I'm putting down on paper (Mafia Goon) for a normal whereas when working on the theme games it all meshes together and is easier for me to implement the things and feel how it all works together and write it out (where I'd just call vanilla raiders Raider Peon or some such and filing for use is easier for me.) I don't know if that makes sense outside of my head.

All theme games I ever mention about myself working on are not theme because of source material, but theme because of other reasons that make games be theme games.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”