PTs Not Released - Why is this a Thing?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:59 am

Post by Katsuki »

In post 298, kuribo wrote:
In post 296, kuribo wrote:
In post 277, Katsuki wrote:
In post 270, kuribo wrote:I don't wanna quote mastin's wall but I remember the shock I felt when I read her assessment of my play during her scum game: she said the best way to deal with town-me was to let me push mislynch after mislynch and to hope I get so angry that I replace out. And you know what? She was absolutely right. I always remember that before going on a thread destroying rampage and as a result, I've become a better player.
But as a scum player, I don't want you knowing your weaknesses and I don't want you getting better. How to exploit you is for the eyes of my scumbuddies only.

As for mastina's point, if someone doesn't want to be called a sack of shit then maybe they shouldn't act like a sack of shit.

You're statistically more likely to be town with me in our next game together, in which case it's to your benefit for me to know my weaknesses.
And I'd like to remind you how many times you thought I was scum when I wasn't :P

Up to and including Weather Mafia II where you suicide on me thinking I was the opposite scum team
Oh come now that's the only game where I thought you were scum when you wern't, when I myself was scum. :P When else have I ever thought you were scum when you wern't?

If I'm in the same game as you I don't need you knowing your weakness because if I'm town, I'll keep you on track and if I'm scum, we'll have a repeat of Anything Goes. :P
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:59 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 299, Firebringer wrote:
In post 297, drealmerz7 wrote:it's more about a broader understanding of the game and how and why things happened, not necessarily about specific individuals

a good scumchat is awesome to read for insight into the game and players
I mean if you want to know a specific thing like "Hey why did scum make X kill" most mods will answer that question without you having to read the scum chat to know why. Scum players are just like players, they aren't magical gods of the game, they sometimes don't know what the hell they are doing. Expecting to always improve from reading that chat is like expecting to improve from reading someones opinion on best fishing techniques when they have never fished in their life.
it's not about "expecting to always improve"

words like expect and always indicate you are missing the point I'm/others are trying to get at

you never know what you might glean from just a turn of phrase that someone uses or understanding one thing that was said in the game thread in context to what was said in the scum chat - POTENTIALLY there's ssooooooooooooo much to be gained from having the scumchat available, and it will vary from player to player from game, and when you have communication among all of the players or some of the players it all enhances and becomes that more insightful and able to learn from

I see one thing in scumchat post-game and I make one small comment in the game thread about it and it spurs an entire conversation about method and tactics and THAT is part of what is so great about mafia, the social aspect and passion among fellow players who have understanding of the same "thing" and like to talk about it and improve their skills and ... why wouldn't you want to get into all of that awesomeness with others???

my only answer? is because you're the sort of person who would deflate footballs in the superbowl to gain an advantage if you could

the "you" here being the General Yu

part of the fun is playing with the same people over and over and over and learning them and competing against them - I mean just think about professional football as a good analogy

the best players study each other, know each other, challenge each other to improve

we're all potentially on the same team, and all should be at least pretending we are on each other's team from game to game

so you study the film with your fellow team-mates and really get into the nitty gritty:

"yo, drealmer, when you RAGE LIKE A FUCKING LOON BUT FORGET TO USE YOUR TILDE~!!~ WITH YOUR EXCLAMATIONS, I've noticed that that is only ever you as town" or whatever the hell it is (maybe a bad example but you get the idea)
Last edited by drealmerz7 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
balance among all things
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:14 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 301, drealmerz7 wrote:my only answer? is because you're the sort of person who would deflate footballs in the superbowl to gain an advantage if you could

the "you" here being the General Yu
I mean some people approach the releasing scum PTs like this.
But why exactly shouldn't they be allowed to do this? Its not their job for you have a full grasp of the game.

You could associate same thing for something like Poker. Most people in a casual setting are perfectly fine revealing to you if they bluffed on a hand or not. Other people refuse to reveal that info because then it will hurt them down the road. Same principle.

Personally I have only rejected allowing one scum PT released as a player because all it contained was toxicity.

So I don't believe i fall into this category you are making.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:37 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In terms of "I don't want players to find out how scum can manipulate their towngame", maybe keeping it secret in the short-term is fair enough, but what if you play another game with that player, and draw town then? At that point, it's actually playing against wincon not to tell the other player how scum can manipulate them (because they're probably town, and if they're scum, no harm is done). So the information's going to come out either way long-term, and you may as well let it happen immediately.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Post by Killthestory »

not telling someone how they can be better to better your standing is just ridiculous for a fucking forum game

Return to “Mafia Discussion”