PTs Not Released - Why is this a Thing?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

PTs Not Released - Why is this a Thing?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:58 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

One of the odd things I have noticed since returning is that Mods generally ask if Mafia PTs (and other types like Neighborhoods but Mafia tend to be the sticking point) can be released.

Why is this a thing? I used to understand back in the day with QTs not being integrated into the site but now that clearly isn't an issue.

I'm completely serious in this question. If you are saying things in a PT that you would not want made public simply don't say them. And I don't buy the "scum game secret tactics" argument either.

So please enlighten this grumpy old man ...
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:02 am

Post by mykonian »

Because as scum I just love calling someone crappy. Because they are, and I'm going to plan with my buddies to use it. I may not want to speak the same terms publicly.

Better question, why do you need to know?
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:55 am

Post by Ircher »

i agree wuth mli
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:14 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 1, mykonian wrote:Because as scum I just love calling someone crappy. Because they are, and I'm going to plan with my buddies to use it. I may not want to speak the same terms publicly.

Forums Mafia is a game of information. After the game is complete Town players should have access to all the information everyone else does to help improve their own game. Same with Mason PTs for scum's improvement attempts.

If your reasoning is "I want to call people bad privately" ... well ... if you can't say it where they can see it probably you should not be saying it at all.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:19 am

Post by zoraster »

Mafia start the game with the idea that what they're saying is private. Saying mean but potentially true things about a town player might be useful. But having to deal with the fallout after isn't that much fun. I'd prefer my mafia players to talk a lot and be pretty free with what they say rather than watch their words because someone from town wants to indulge their curiosity after the game.

I don't think the town has any inherent right to see the mafia PT.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:19 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 3, MagnaofIllusion wrote:If your reasoning is "I want to call people bad privately" ... well ... if you can't say it where they can see it probably you should not be saying it at all.
I strongly disagree with this statement.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:25 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 3, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In post 1, mykonian wrote:Because as scum I just love calling someone crappy. Because they are, and I'm going to plan with my buddies to use it. I may not want to speak the same terms publicly.

Forums Mafia is a game of information. After the game is complete Town players should have access to all the information everyone else does to help improve their own game. Same with Mason PTs for scum's improvement attempts.

If your reasoning is "I want to call people bad privately" ... well ... if you can't say it where they can see it probably you should not be saying it at all.
I actually remember a time five or six years ago I was trash talking you in a QT to psyche myself/my teammates up and you got pretty upset about it when the QT was released.

sometimes private trash talk (even if it's not totally accurate) is what you need to get over the hump against a tough opponent. I can relate to people not wanting that public.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:26 am

Post by FakeGod »

You may go over the moves made to find your own mistakes, but your opponent is not required to open up his mind for you to see, or obliged in any way to help you improve your play.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:39 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 4, zoraster wrote:Mafia start the game with the idea that what they're saying is private. Saying mean but potentially true things about a town player might be useful. But having to deal with the fallout after isn't that much fun. I'd prefer my mafia players to talk a lot and be pretty free with what they say rather than watch their words because someone from town wants to indulge their curiosity after the game.

I don't think the town has any inherent right to see the mafia PT.
Site culture can easily be changed to expect the PT to be released.

There's also a difference between pointing out a town player's weakness and being downright malicious on what you say about the player. People should be able to handle the former while the latter isn't exactly something I think we should be going out of our way to protect the privacy of just because it's hiding behind the context of a game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:41 am

Post by zoraster »

Well, that would be a move of site culture I would not be in favor of.

Should or not, some people will react negatively to even an honest evaluation that's bereft of any malice.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:44 am

Post by Zachrulez »

I don't disagree that people will react negatively to even non malicious criticism. I would argue that mafia is not really the game for them.

Anyway as a mod I fully intend to release all private topics in my game, I suppose that is something I will need to make known more explicitly if I ever run games again. (Which I assume I will do at some point in the future.)
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:54 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 3, MagnaofIllusion wrote:

I do not care for your improvement. You already think you are awesome, so why would you even bother.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:07 am

Post by Nexus »

I have never given people a choice - I tend to just release them, not ever experienced any actual problems with people being too mad about it. I consider it my perogative as the game mod.
Trans rights are human rights.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am

Post by Firebringer »

I am kind of the opinion, don't say anything in a PT that you wouldn't say in a normal game thread.
But of course, I am pretty blunt with people on my opinions of them so like it doesn't change the content of what I say at all.

And people have gotten upset over what I said about them in a PT.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:25 am

Post by Psyche »

I think it's a mod discretion thing. There are pros and cons to both practices.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 0, MagnaofIllusion wrote:And I don't buy the "scum game secret tactics" argument either.
Why?

I mean, I get you want to learn from what the scumteam were thinking, but if someone wants to tell their scumbuddies how they're making use of particular tactics, and they frequently do those things as scum, then knowing you'll be able to view the PT post-game is just going to make them not explain those things to their team, which hinders the quality of communication among scum and results in a worse learning experience for the scumteam.

I think people are also more likely to open up to their scumteam about real-life situations and deeper feelings about certain things (which doesn't necessarily include bad-mouthing others) that they might not feel comfortable exposing to a large group of people, and I don't think anyone is entitled to have access to those thoughts.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Post by Shadow_step »

If saying foul things is a problem. The player can ask the mod to either edit the post(edit out the the insults) or simply delete the posts after the game is over.

I don't how that is a problem. I am in favour of every PT being released so that players can improve on their game.
Show
The shadows betray you, because they serve me.

"Chrim and Shadow_step town MVPs. There was a point at the game I was legitimately in fear." ~Zach

"I'm mightily impressed by Shadow's ability to find town PR's, by the way. He was the one directing the first two nightkills." ~Michel
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Post by Shadow_step »

In post 15, Postie wrote:
In post 0, MagnaofIllusion wrote:And I don't buy the "scum game secret tactics" argument either.
Why?

I mean, I get you want to learn from what the scumteam were thinking, but if someone wants to tell their scumbuddies how they're making use of particular tactics, and they frequently do those things as scum, then knowing you'll be able to view the PT post-game is just going to make them not explain those things to their team, which hinders the quality of communication among scum and results in a worse learning experience for the scumteam.

I think people are also more likely to open up to their scumteam about real-life situations and deeper feelings about certain things (which doesn't necessarily include bad-mouthing others) that they might not feel comfortable exposing to a large group of people, and I don't think anyone is entitled to have access to those thoughts.
If scum are worried about being caught out the next game they play as scum because people will figure that is what they do as scum aka meta.
Then that stops any improvement and that's just dumb.
Show

"Chrim and Shadow_step town MVPs. There was a point at the game I was legitimately in fear." ~Zach

"I'm mightily impressed by Shadow's ability to find town PR's, by the way. He was the one directing the first two nightkills." ~Michel
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 am

Post by Accountant »

I auto release PTs unless the mafia team has a compelling reason why they don't want me to release it(eg. they trash talked someone in the PT, personal secrets were shared). I think it's important that players get to learn.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:37 am

Post by FakeGod »

I have a question.

Does anyone in this thread actually believe that Scum PT should be released
against
the scum team's will?

Like, you are modding a game, and the scum team tells you
not to release the scum PT
, would you release it anyway?
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:15 am

Post by Postie »

In post 17, Shadow_step wrote:If scum are worried about being caught out the next game they play as scum because people will figure that is what they do as scum aka meta.
Trying to stay one step ahead of your opponent is part of the game; both in the short-term and long-term.

Scale that principle down to a single game for a minute. Let's say I need to get both Bouba and Kiki mislynched at some point to win. I have enough towncred in the bank to successfully hardpush one mislynch through with minimal consequences - if I try my luck again after that, people will probably be suspicious of me and lynch me for it. I also know that Bouba and Kiki have interacted with each other in a way that most people think must be either TvT or SvS, so after the first townflip, the second lynch will be considerably harder to push through.
Do I use my hardpush on the first person I want to take care of? Of course not; I'm going to save it for the game-ending mislynch.
But following your logic about it being "dumb" and stopping improvement for me to not want others to use my previous behaviour to catch me out later on, I should just go ahead and deathtunnel one of them right away. Is that what you'd recommend I do in this situation? And if not, why should I compromise my long-term play in any other situation?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:47 am

Post by Firebringer »

Yeah, I don't think anyone is obligated really to help someone improve as a player, or peak inside what a player who is scum is thinking.
Though I will say, its highly unlikely that players who read the scum PT will learn anything to improve themselves, except just ways in which those specific players play in scum situations.
So they get better at beating THOSE players.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:13 am

Post by Shadow_step »

In post 20, Postie wrote:
In post 17, Shadow_step wrote:If scum are worried about being caught out the next game they play as scum because people will figure that is what they do as scum aka meta.
Trying to stay one step ahead of your opponent is part of the game; both in the short-term and long-term.

Scale that principle down to a single game for a minute. Let's say I need to get both Bouba and Kiki mislynched at some point to win. I have enough towncred in the bank to successfully hardpush one mislynch through with minimal consequences - if I try my luck again after that, people will probably be suspicious of me and lynch me for it. I also know that Bouba and Kiki have interacted with each other in a way that most people think must be either TvT or SvS, so after the first townflip, the second lynch will be considerably harder to push through.
Do I use my hardpush on the first person I want to take care of? Of course not; I'm going to save it for the game-ending mislynch.
But following your logic about it being "dumb" and stopping improvement for me to not want others to use my previous behaviour to catch me out later on, I should just go ahead and deathtunnel one of them right away. Is that what you'd recommend I do in this situation? And if not, why should I compromise my long-term play in any other situation?
That is a wifom argument really. I did this so and ao as scum in the last game, I would do it again? Yes it my meta? No, im not that dumb.
Show

Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:17 am

Post by Postie »

In post 22, Shadow_step wrote:That is a wifom argument really. I did this so and ao as scum in the last game, I would do it again? Yes it my meta? No, im not that dumb.
What? If someone has a history of employing a particular tactic designed to further scum's wincon as scum and you see them do it in a game you're in together, that is a valid reason to scumread them.
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 am

Post by Shadow_step »

In post 20, Postie wrote:

In post 19, FakeGod wrote:I have a question.

Does anyone in this thread actually believe that Scum PT should be released
against
the scum team's will?

Like, you are modding a game, and the scum team tells you
not to release the scum PT
, would you release it anyway?
I think the mods should just announce at the beginning of the game that the scum PT will be released when the game ends. You can do whatever the hell you want but it will be released.
To answer the question I might release it cause I love playing devil's advocate lol
Show

Return to “Mafia Discussion”