Curbing abusive behavior in games

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:52 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 23, Vi wrote:@CFJ: I don't think that was an issue with the mechanic so much as it being a combination of a lot of people online, some super-fresh anger, and a charismatic leader.
Nah, it worked out that game. The issue is that pretty much every time something like that is tried, it tends to lead to a Day that's over in less than 24 hours, which is awkward for people who can't make the thread. (Of course, town were trying to do that intentionally, to get in before scum could submit the kill, but…)

It's annoying to sign up for a typical game and discover it's somehow turned into a Blitz.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:53 am

Post by Aeronaut »

I think it's harder to curb toxicity in a game like mafia over a game like League because Mafia inherently is about harassing players and arguing. I generally try to attack the play and never the player, but I've had times like most where I cross that line.

I honestly think we have a pretty good community here as opposed to most; it's just that mafia is inherently going to create toxicity
2023 W/L | 1-0
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 24, Flubbernugget wrote:I've never seen a scenario where toxicity was pro town. Not snark or heated debates, but down right toxicity. In a perfect world, toxicity would be a 100%scum tell
Remember when I won that NY despite mechanical autoloss because I was sufficiently douchey on day 1 to be townread beyond a shadow of a doubt?
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:00 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 22, RadiantCowbells wrote:It's not about like abusing people as much as it's about being generally salty and uncooperative while seeming vs being positive that your reads are right as town/scum.
Confident individualism.

Yes, it is great if you're right. But >50% you probably aren't. So that hurts town.

It has clear benefits from a scumplay perspective I don't think we need to get into.

-------

But now if town is
working together
against confident individualism, the play is eliminated. It becomes much harder for scum to hide when they can't hide behind literally leading the game by the nose.

So yes, I would say that cooperation is the better end-game for town, in the long run.
Last edited by Majiffy on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:02 am

Post by Majiffy »

In post 27, Aeronaut wrote:I think it's harder to curb toxicity in a game like mafia over a game like League because Mafia inherently is about harassing players and arguing. I generally try to attack the play and never the player, but I've had times like most where I cross that line.

I honestly think we have a pretty good community here as opposed to most; it's just that mafia is inherently going to create toxicity
I totally get it but I think there's room for improvement. And I rarely ever play here anymore.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I just did a quick compilation of games. In short,

There's been two games where if I had been less of a stubborn dick we'd have won.
There's been 27 games where if I'd been more of a stubborn dick we'd have won.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:44 am

Post by petroleumjelly »

Mafia is ultimately a party game (put to text). Players who intentionally play like a jerk in order to win are not players I would invite to a party. Even if one might argue their win percentage would be higher if they were more abrasive/toxic, that does not seem to be an appropriate measuring stick. After a game is over, whether you win or lost doesn't really matter that much -- it was just a game, and nothing
real
rides on it. But lessening everybody's enjoyment of that game because of the way you act
does
matter.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
BrainpanSonata
BrainpanSonata
Townie
BrainpanSonata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:56 am

Post by BrainpanSonata »

In post 32, petroleumjelly wrote:Mafia is ultimately a party game (put to text). Players who intentionally play like a jerk in order to win are not players I would invite to a party. Even if one might argue their win percentage would be higher if they were more abrasive/toxic, that does not seem to be an appropriate measuring stick. After a game is over, whether you win or lost doesn't really matter that much -- it was just a game, and nothing
real
rides on it. But lessening everybody's enjoyment of that game because of the way you act
does
matter.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Ever wanted an extra head? Like making gut decisions by committee? Consider the Hydra Academy! Teachers wanted!
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:42 am

Post by Aeronaut »

In post 32, petroleumjelly wrote:Mafia is ultimately a party game (put to text). Players who intentionally play like a jerk in order to win are not players I would invite to a party. Even if one might argue their win percentage would be higher if they were more abrasive/toxic, that does not seem to be an appropriate measuring stick. After a game is over, whether you win or lost doesn't really matter that much -- it was just a game, and nothing
real
does
matter.
2023 W/L | 1-0
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:25 am

Post by Realeo »

Insted of ML algorithm of deciding what is toxic or not, make ML algorithm of deciding does this post comes from scum or not.

That I will support.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Post by rb »

I agree with whatever Majiffy said he's the best at stuff.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 18, BrainpanSonata wrote:Toxic players are more likely to be Policy Lynched (often in the same day that toxic behavior is displayed), which usually hurts Town more than scum.

I've been policy lynched exactly one time in nine years for toxic behavior

And that was by a guy who didn't realize it LYLO. He dropped his vote, scum ended the game.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:44 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

How the fuck do you policy lynch anyone past day 2
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:07 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Policy lynches are much easier in lylo because you often only need the one vote. At that point, scum will quickhammer, and you got your lynch!

Note: just because it's easy, it doesn't mean it's a good idea.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”