Video Game Rumble Mafia: Tutorial Level. (Which flavors?)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Video Game Rumble Mafia: Tutorial Level. (Which flavors?)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

Video Game Mafia: Tutorial Level

So this is a really messy picture. I hope to find a way to make the grid lines cleaner. I also hope to have a larger picture.
I think this will work to help show the mechanics of this game.

Before I do, I'm using letters to help symbolize people. I'm K (K is for KuroiXHF!) I understand many people's first letter in their username are similar so I might use the second letter as well. (I had to come up with an example so I borrowed I Am Innocent's name (Found in H9) and Inte (Found in N4.) If you all have a better idea, let me know. At first, I thought about using colors but I want to make sure they're easy to read with the background. (That's why you'll find different colors throughout the map here.)

This game will be considered bastard due to its mechanics scheme and non-randomness that will be specified later this thread. Also, please know that NO two characters will be alike - not by flavor or abilities. While I cannot promise full balancing, I will make a great effort to do so. If one character is lacking in one department, there will very likely be a boost in another.

So what's the layout of the game?- There will be turns. Each turn will be twenty-four hours in real time. Everything happens after each turn occurs.

So how do I submit my actions?:- Actions will be submitted by PM anonymously. This is to ensure that Person A suffers because Person B sees what Person A does, and then alters their move.

In cases where two players send actions that would conflict if they both occurred (such as if they both tried to pick up an item), I will give precedence to the person who submitted the action first.

So what can I do during each turn?- Each turn, you can do the following:
- Move. Imagine, if this is chess, that you are a king. You can move to one space in any direction (except down, if you are on solid ground.) Of course, if you have an ability that allows you to move to bypass that and move more than one space, then you can do that.

You can also do ONE of the following:- Your melee attack.
- Your ranged attack.
- Any special attack from your character abilities.
- Any other ability specified that your PM says would prevent you from attacking that turn.
Each character will have the following abilities:
- The ability to punch. This will inflict damage to your opponent and push them to another square. You MUST be in the same square as them to do this. In the picture (Square G6), K is in the same square as R. If K punches R, R will be pushed one square to the right. (To H6). Everyone will have a move like this, but it may be named something else (Kick, Headbutt, Pistol Whip) They all do the same thing, but the names are altered to help with staying true to flavor.)
- A basic block. The specifics haven't been figured out yet, but I'll make sure it is before we get to signups.
- A jump, to help you from being knocked off the map.
- Pick up an item.

That's it. Most players will have the following:- A ranged attack. This will allow someone to attack another without having to be in the same square as them. If you look at the map, IA is four spaces away from Z. If IA has a ranged ability that can shoot four spaces away, IA can hit Z and do damage.
- A double jump!
- A night ability. This will be closer to how we normally know Mafia. A cop is still a cop. A doctor is still a doctor.
- Some other type of ability.

Here's how the damage will work.- You'll
all
(Some people are stronger/weaker in terms of health and ability to have more impact in their strikes) have the equivalent of three health. For the first three hits, all you'll do is be pushed in one direction.
- After the third strike (starting on the fourth), we'll use dice to see how hurt you're going to be. Here it is:
After the third hit, the mod will roll a d100 on behalf of the person being hit. If the mod rolls a 90 or lower, he's safe and only gets pushed the amount of squares he's pushed +1. (This means that if you get hit on your fourth hit and you survive, you get pushed two spaces.)
If he gets hit again (5th time), the mod rolls a d100 again. If he rolls an 80 or lower, he's hit and only gets pushed the amount of squares he's pushed +1.
If he gets hit again (6th time), the mod rolls a d100 again. This time, it's 70 or lower. Gets pushed amount of squares +2.
7th, 60 or lower, +2
8th, 50 or lower, +3
9th, 40 or lower, +3
10th, 30 or lower, +4
11th, 20 or lower, +4
12th, 10 or lower, +5
13th, 5 or lower, +5
14th, 3 or lower, +6
15th, 2 or lower, +6
16th, 1, 7

- Not only can you die from being attacked too many times, if you are pushed off the map, you'll die.

Direction?- Direction matters.
If IA is using an attack to Z, IA can only push Z to the right, since the attack is hitting right. Now if K attacks R, K can choose whether to push R right or left, because they share the same square. The rule of thumb on squares is if you're in the same square, you are considered being in the same space.

You're probably wondering how this relates to Mafia. The first person to die is lynched, right?- Wrong. Here's actually how it is, your votes mean NOTHING on someone unless they have died in the brawl. In the day phase, you can all vote K as much as you want, but until K dies, they're worthless. However, you can all place your votes onto K and so that when K dies, he instantly becomes lynched.
- Now I also want to let you know about sharing the same space. If someone attacks someone, they attack that square. If M in Q6 has some sort of powerful blast that can hit G6 and it connects, both K and R are hit and affected

Is there some sort of order of resolution?Why yes, there is! It goes a little something like:
Ability Regeneration > Healing > Dodge > Role Block > Jump > Damage

This doesn't remind me of Super Smash Bros. really well. My game has item drops.And ours does too! At pre-specified times, we will drop an item. It'll vary in usefulness. Could it be a Pokeball holding Mewtwo, or a Magikarp? Could it be a capsule holding a mini-nuke or a rubber ducky?! Who knows? (I do!)

In order to pick up an item, you have to simply go to the same square and submit an action to pick it up.

So which franchises do you want your character from?

(Note: I will have some restrictions. It has to be a cartoonized/animated character and can't exist in real life. (Meaning, you can't choose Tiger Woods from one of his video games. Your character can't exist in real life.) They also can't choose a user-generated character or from a game with a non-canon ending. (Like, you can't be Orcsukkkz69 from your World of Warcraft account.) That would also mean that anything from Skyrim or Fallout would be a no-go. Any choices you may will also have to be approved. The approval process isn't really to limit your choices, but as a protection for anyone trying to be cute to find loopholes for odd choices like the 'Z' from Tetris.)

Any other notes?Reminder. This is a tutorial stage. This is me testing out this baby of mine. There WILL be mistakes. This game is to iron out all the kinks and make the large-theme to be better.
Last edited by KuroiXHF on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:21 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

Right now, my thoughts are Nintendo, Mortal Kombat, Sega and Sony.

I think I'll trim it to five.

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:11 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

If you have Mortal Kombat then maybe you should include Street Fighter too.

What about characters that in-game could be user-generated, and the fandoms decided on a look and name for the character and that got so popular that it became cannon? (i.e. Red from Pokemon or Robin from Fire Emblem).

How big would this game be?
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:53 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 2, Alchemist21 wrote:If you have Mortal Kombat then maybe you should include Street Fighter too.
If the people want Street Fighter, they can have Street Fighter. I'm doing this more by companies so Mortal Kombat is Electronic Arts, I believe. Street Fighter is created by Capcom and Capcom has a bunch of other good video games like Resident Evil and Marvel too, so yeah. Definitely.
What about characters that in-game could be user-generated, and the fandoms decided on a look and name for the character and that got so popular that it became cannon? (i.e. Red from Pokemon or Robin from Fire Emblem).
I don't know about Robin from Fire Emblem but if it's alongside the same lines as Red from Pokemon, then I'm OK with that. The approval process I have isn't just to weed out people trying to hold out for technicalities. It's also for people to see if they can, in good faith, see if their character would work.

When I said no user-generated work, I thought of MMOs and a bunch of other RPGs. If you think about it, when you play Legend of Zelda games as Link, you could change the name of it to whatever you want - but the stories and potential for power is all the same.
How big would this game be?
I want this game to be huge, but I'm currently in talks with contributors/co-mods (I actually may need someone who fits the criteria, in case mine can't/won't help out as a large theme co-mod.)
I was thinking 30 players, but he wants 20.

drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:29 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

How about a contingent of Worms!?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 4, drealmerz7 wrote:How about a contingent of Worms!?
That would be awesome
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:10 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Any characters from SNK games.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:27 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

So I put this into the mini-game queue. Starting tomorrow, I'll have a Google Doc where people can submit.

To let everyone know, the flavor that will be used for this game will NOT be allowed for when it's entered into the large-theme.

vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:22 am

Post by vonflare »

idk if this would be helpful but I made a super smash bros mafia a while ago: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=63814
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:21 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 8, vonflare wrote:idk if this would be helpful but I made a super smash bros mafia a while ago: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=63814
I was aware of a different game. But not this one. I'll give it a look. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:59 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

A heck of a lot of the mechanics are posted! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”