Quick Question about multiple Bodyguards

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
dw_
dw_
Watcher
dw_
Watcher
Watcher

Quick Question about multiple Bodyguards

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:14 pm

Post by dw_ »

Hi guys, hope this is the correct place to post this. I've had a look through the Wiki and Google search but couldn't find an answer.

I don't have much experience but I am moderating a game on another forum because hey, it's fun. (hasn't started yet)
My current set-up contains two town-aligned bodyguards, and I am not sure as to what is considered "normal" behaviour for when two or more bodyguards successfully protect the same kill-target that night.
Apart from "don't include multiple bodyguards", how should this be resolved?

The main solution I'm thinking of is having both bodyguards die. I don't really agree with the logic (if there is only one killing action why would two people die?) but it is consistent.
The other outcomes I can think of:
Having which one die at random (after role distribution I like to keep the random elements in games to a minimum)
Deciding by something like who inputs their night actions first
When distributing the role PMs, giving a hierarchy to them (e.g. "if you and another bodyguard successfully target the same kill-target you will die first"), this does make them somewhat informed though

Keen to hear if there is a common solution/your thoughts
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I ran a setup with multiple bodyguards and what I did was I assigned secret numbers to the bodyguards as part of the role randomisation. you'd have bodyguard 1 and bodyguard 2. bodyguard 1 would die before bodyguard 2 if they both protected the kill target. the players were informed that this was the mechanic, but they weren't told who had which number. it worked out okay.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:14 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

As it is known that getting past two people is easier than one (I may be making this up, but outnumbering rules and stuff when it gets into a fight and a single person is stronger due to not having anyone else that could get hurt first).
Having both die or the intended target die are the only options.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
BrainpanSonata
BrainpanSonata
Townie
BrainpanSonata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:36 am

Post by BrainpanSonata »

I like Plotinus's idea. Prioritizing one BG over the other covers the NAR gap nicely. Another option would be to roll for priority when the situation occurs, similar to rolling for a tiebreaker.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Ever wanted an extra head? Like making gut decisions by committee? Consider the Hydra Academy! Teachers wanted!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”