nieghbors

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Hermie
Hermie
Goon
Hermie
Goon
Goon

nieghbors

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:47 am

Post by Hermie »

Is this the right place to ask how to play a role? I'm interested in how to question as a neighborizer. I have read that a strong player as neighborizer is a very powerful role and a weak player is useless.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:51 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Keep playing the game at night in a neighborhood thread and annoy your potential scums-in-a-neighborhood.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Hermie
Hermie
Goon
Hermie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:54 am

Post by Hermie »

So just go on with your scum reads and ask for theirs and don't let things get inactive?
Hermie
Hermie
Goon
Hermie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:55 am

Post by Hermie »

Btw your username and forum rank are rather appropriate.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 1, GuyInFreezer wrote:Keep playing the game at night in a neighborhood thread and annoy your potential scums-in-a-neighborhood.
Also: Don't just scumhunt, townhunt.

PoE is your friend.

If you're a scum neighbor(izer), try to get the others to claim.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
BrainpanSonata
BrainpanSonata
Townie
BrainpanSonata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:23 am

Post by BrainpanSonata »

I find neighborizer is more effective if you have a positive reputation among your fellow players. Players who like and/or trust you might be more willing to talk with you after becoming your neighbor.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Ever wanted an extra head? Like making gut decisions by committee? Consider the Hydra Academy! Teachers wanted!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:47 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

(I'm assuming this isn't related to an ongoing game.)

In a role madness game, it's best to (try to) neighbourize town power roles and use the neighbourhood to coordinate tactics. (This assumes you have multiple neighbourization shots; in role madness, you normally do.) If you accidentally neighbourize scum, you may be able to figure it out based on the way they react to your suggestions.

In any other sort of game, you should try to neighbourize scum, and use the neighbourhood to discuss reads. Treat the neighbourhood like you'd treat a hydra PT. If the other person is town, you'll get a lot of useful insight into the game. If they're scum, you may well be able to figure out who their buddies are by seeing who they have trouble talking about (I caught 2 out of 3 members of the opposite scumteam this way once, although that was a mod-created neighbourhood that I was pretty sure was scum-scum rather than a neighbourization).

In either case, your neighbours should ideally be fairly active. If your target flakes from the neighbourhood, your shot didn't really do much good at all. Thus, even if you're looking to neighbourize scum or a power role, you don't want to neighbourize a lurker.

If you're a scum neighbourizer, you should seriously consider not using your role at all, as extra communication normally helps town. If you feel the need to use the shot for nightplay reasons (i.e. you need to claim a power role for theory reasons or it's known you have the shot and not using it would be suspicious), you may want to neighbourize a player anyway, and hope it doesn't backfire too badly. I wouldn't recommend neighbourizing a scumbuddy, as at some point you'll have to fakeclaim the conversations you had there, but it's not such a bad idea as to be completely untenable. Apart from that, you have a tradeoff between neighbourizations that won't hurt you (e.g. neighbourizing the nightkill; you can get away with this more easily if you're killing a claimed power role) and neighbourizations that are done purely to look townish (precisely because they'd be risky as scum). I'd put this into a similar category as fakeclaiming Cop as scum; no matter what, you have to take some sort of risk.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
BrainpanSonata
BrainpanSonata
Townie
BrainpanSonata
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:48 am

Post by BrainpanSonata »

If there's no given reason for a neighbor flaking on you, either in the game or in the neighborhood itself, it could be considered a scumtell. In a role where cooperation is vital, refusal to cooperate seems very scummy. Of course, that requires first determining whether the player is refusing to cooperate, is too busy to cooperate (usually because V/LA or IRL responsibilities), or is unaware that cooperation is required/they have become a neighbor.
Video games can be educational. The Oregon Trail taught me that Manifest Destiny is fatal.

Ever wanted an extra head? Like making gut decisions by committee? Consider the Hydra Academy! Teachers wanted!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Post by mastina »

I strongly disagree with the notion of neighborizing scumreads.

Behind-the-scene manipulation is where scum
shine
It is, quite literally, the best possible thing to happen to them, being neighborized, because suddenly, they've got a pawn. If you scumread them, no matter how coy you think you are about the scumread, they'll see through it. They'll
use
your scumread on them, to feed you data that you think is valid and can be used to find town/scum reliably, but the problem is, they've already manipulated it. Or worse yet (not mutually exclusive), what if they convince you your scumread is wrong, and it's because of their play IN the neighborhood?

Furthermore, scum knowing you're a neighborizer know your power. That makes you a known entity. They know you to be harmless, to be powerless, to not be a threat to them. Whereas scum who don't know you're a neighborizer have no ability to tell what threat you are until you claim, so they may waste a rolecop on you, or they may nightkill you.

Plus, you can't actually quote content from your neighborhood into the thread, whereas scum can often quote content from your neighborhood DIRECTLY into the scum PT. (Any moderator who doesn't allow scum to share that sort of info is a bad mod.) So between the two, you definitely are getting the short end of the stick in the deal.

And, what's to say your scumread is actually right? What if you neighborized town? Well, congrats. You think they're scum. You think their contribution is that of a scum player. So your reads are tainted by a false premise. Good luck with that.

No, as a neighborizer, you treat the role like a masonizer. Try to get an all-town support network going. If you can get town PRs into your neighborhood, you can coordinate actions without the scum being aware, and that can give you control of the game. That's ESPECIALLY potent in NON-role-madness games. In a role madness game, everyone has a PR. If you, as a neighborizer, in a NON-role-madness game, manage to nab power roles, you stand a 50/50 chance of having gotten the entire town's strength working in a spot scum have zero access to.

...Of course, as a scum neighborizer, my advice is simple: neighborize the players you intend to take into the endgame. Or, at least, one. It may be best to limit how many you have given access to, because if everyone alive has access to both, the feeling of being excluded will no longer exist, and trust me, the feeling of being excluded is a GREAT weapon to harness in games. The people you DO have access to are going to be your townbeard(s). They are who you want to be your closest allies. They're meant to trust you. I've used this to great effect before, to the point where I was quite literally
confirmed scum
, yet because of my neighborhood manipulations, my neighbor
wasn't voting me
That
is their strength.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:53 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I think you're underestimating just how hard it is for scum not to give away their buddies in a neighbour QT, typically via being more reluctant to express a view on them than they are on other players. (In fact, if you accidentally neighbourize town, you can probably figure this out from the lack of buddy slips.) Meanwhile, scum don't gain much from knowing your opinions, because you were being honest in the game thread anyway.

If you're trying to create a town PR network in a non-role-madness game, I don't see how you benefit much even if you succeed. When the number of PRs are comparatively low, they tend not to trip over each other from lack of coordination anyway.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:14 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 0, Hermie wrote:Is this the right place to ask how to play a role? I'm interested in how to question as a neighborizer. I have read that a strong player as neighborizer is a very powerful role and a weak player is useless.
I like to neighborize my strongest town reads and if they're in a hydra all the better.

Ally yourself to the strong, show them your towniness, and then destroy scum with the fury of a thousand dying suns

Unless you're scum. If you're scum, either don't neighborize anyone, or neighborize people you can snow

And then make taunt their corpses after you murder them.

Or taunt them before. It's your word against theirs anyway.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:21 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 8, mastina wrote:Behind-the-scene manipulation is where scum shine.
It is, quite literally, the best possible thing to happen to them, being neighborized, because suddenly, they've got a pawn. If you scumread them, no matter how coy you think you are about the scumread, they'll see through it. They'll use your scumread on them, to feed you data that you think is valid and can be used to find town/scum reliably, but the problem is, they've already manipulated it. Or worse yet (not mutually exclusive), what if they convince you your scumread is wrong, and it's because of their play IN the neighborhood?
+1
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=5526819

(Shush yes I enjoy citing this game whenever possible)
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:44 am

Post by Vi »

In post 11, Cabd wrote:
In post 8, mastina wrote:Behind-the-scene manipulation is where scum shine.
It is, quite literally, the best possible thing to happen to them, being neighborized, because suddenly, they've got a pawn. If you scumread them, no matter how coy you think you are about the scumread, they'll see through it. They'll use your scumread on them, to feed you data that you think is valid and can be used to find town/scum reliably, but the problem is, they've already manipulated it. Or worse yet (not mutually exclusive), what if they convince you your scumread is wrong, and it's because of their play IN the neighborhood?
+1
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=5526819

(Shush yes I enjoy citing this game whenever possible)
I cannot adequately express how upset I continue to be that min.us took most of our images down.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:46 am

Post by Cabd »

It's why I now pray to the church of Imgur
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:24 am

Post by Vi »

In post 13, Cabd wrote:It's why I now pray to the church of Imgur
A house built upon the memes, etc. Me too.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Something Postie something something.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Post by Postie »

>:]
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”